Otterhounds

Leema

Guest Arcane

I had the pleasure of spending the afternoon with one in Victoria about 10 or 11 yrs ago. It was owned by Houndtor Bloodhound kennels. I don't know if they are still around, or whether their interest in Otterhound was ongoing. I think there was a litter in NZ within the last few yrs.

I didn't realise the breed had died out in Aust. I remember them being shown in the late 80s and early 90s.

They were probably pretty hard to sell as pets. Big shaggy dogs with very oily coats, so not a dog for indoors. They also had webbed feet which was quite fascinating.

I'm think that a breeder of deerhounds? used to have one many years ago at Murray Bridge I remember it was a shaggy large breed hound that had been imported

Llangthorne deerhounds (sp) have been at Murray Bridge for ever. I will ask her and report back. I havent heard it mentioned but if it was a long tine ago I may be too young :o)

Meea

Yes, Houndtor kennels (Vict) had both Otterhounds & Bloodhounds - knew Linda & Mike Jenning well - stayed with them on occassions when we would travel to Vict for the Bloodhound shows (when we had Bloodhounds).

Their Otterhounds were wonderful, much like a Bloodhound except with hair :laugh: A very outgoing hound & happy temperament.

Nowadays, the only Otterhound I know of is in NZ and I think they have only one bitch. I am not sure who the people are but they use to enter the NZ Royal (the name of large show escapes me) with their girl

It is a crying shame that the breed has died out in Oz as it was once quite popular & they are a fun breed.

Edited by Beauie

Thank-you for those with information. Would love to know of the Murray Bridge kennel with an Otterhound (if it did exist!).

What kennel owns Otterhound(s?) in NZ? I couldn't find it on DOL, but I remember seeing it on there at some point.

There was a breeder of Otterhounds round Dubbo way some years ago (Darryl & Debbie Matthews) they now breed Grand Basset Griffon Vendeen.

I did judge a couple in NZ (Hawkes Bay area) in 2006

They still have deerhounds as well. Sounds like there used to be a deerie otterhound link.

Meea

Guest Arcane

The kennel in MB was also a boarding kennel/council pound we used to go up and get dogs to assess for hearing dogs

If that's the same boarding kennel that still houses the pound dogs, they definitely don't have Otterhounds. They are well known for their Dallies, Griffons and Airedales atm.

Solved!!

"Liangthorne Kennells from Murray Bridge had Ozotter Royal Bob, bred by Mick Jennings from Victoria, that was back in 1994. I was the only person showing an Otterhound in SA. Did not breed from him because everything in Australia was related".

Straight from the horses mouth (with permission from the horse!)

Meea

edited for spellunk

Edited by Meea