Floor For Puppy Run

**Super_Dogs**

My litter is due next week.

When the puppies are mobile I extend the the whelping box with puppy pen to make a run and make the run bigger as the puppies get more mobile. I have tiled floor so my last litter I put down lino as I thought it would be easier for the pups to walk on that the tiles. I am wrong!!

What flooring do you use that is both easy to clean and not too slippery?

We had the same problem, so I got a bulk lot of big 'foam' tiles that interlock - a bit like the stuff yoga mats are made of - it is fantastic as the pups find their feet really easily as the tiles have the tiniest bit of give in them and the surface is slightly textured. You see them at camping shops, sometimes with holes in them, but we got solid and at a bulk place. These tiles were fantastic, best puppy surface we have had.

Great idea. :thumbsup: Thanks.

for my last litter I just used newspaper but I only had 2 pups. This time we are expecting a bigger litter and was wondering what i could use. How can you use fake grass or marine carpet? does this mean everytime a puppy wees or poos you change it?...wouldnt this be happening like 50 times a day?...or do you just change it daily and if so doesn't it stink out the house?

For the indoor puppy pen I have vetbed in sleeping area and play area and newspaper the toilet area. For the outdoor pen I'm going to use synthetic grass this time, the puppy pen is roofed so grass has all died and I don't want the pups rolling in dirt all day. Will use synthetic grass for most of the pen and leave about a quarter as dirt for toilet area which I will initially place newspaper over til they get used to toileting there.

Haven't thought about using Marie carpet indoors, might try that or the play area and see how it goes. thanks for the idea :)

Re: Cleaning synthetic grass

Depending on the number of puppies and the frequency of use, yes, it can start to smell. Sometimes a piece of grass can last me a week, sometimes just a couple of days. I normally wash it if it starts to smell, or if I get a stubborn poo that won't get off. I spot clean poos when they occur. I put the piece of grass through the washing machine once I decide to clean it. I have about 5 pieces of grass, so never go short.

The best thing about the synthetic grass is that is somewhat like what most dogs will toilet on as adults, so it starts toilet training early. The other thing is that any wee goes through it, so puppies don't get covered in pee if they walk on a spot that was weed on.

The worst thing is trying to clean it, as you guys have noted. ;)

I have used lino. I tend to go down to the floor covering places and get the old samples. Some Gaffa tape and join them together top and bottom. At the end of the litter, throw all in the bin.

I use plain old newspaper on top. I have used polar fleece for ontop of the paper and also the Kylie Sheets. Kylie sheets are good, except they take AGES to dry when you wash them. Not too bad in the first two weeks, but later when the pee and poop get bigger and more. You need a fair few to keep changing throughout the day.

depends on the timing of the litter, I will have an oil heater going in the room as this does not cause draft and I can regulate the temperature better. I have had litters on tiles with the lino underneath and have not had an issue of cold puppies. I also use two heat pads. One for the pups and one inadvertently for mum as they tend to want to hog it too.

I share the concern with marine carpet with some others. The last thing you want is them seeking out carpet later on to pee/poop on. For that matter, you can maybe say the same for Vet Bed as it is carpet like. Interesting thought given the number of people who use newspaper to toilet train their dog from near the door to outside...

• 2 weeks later...

So I decided on the interlocking foam mats. I found Bunnings sell a 4 pack (each tile is 60cm x 60cm) for only $14.95.

These will be easy for the pups to walk on and also easy to clean. I think I will probably take them out the pen when they are confident on their feet as I they may chew them.

Thanks so much for all the ideas. :thumbsup:

So I decided on the interlocking foam mats. I found Bunnings sell a 4 pack (each tile is 60cm x 60cm) for only $14.95.

These will be easy for the pups to walk on and also easy to clean. I think I will probably take them out the pen when they are confident on their feet as I they may chew them.

Thanks so much for all the ideas. :thumbsup:

The other really good thing is that you can pick up any that get too dirty and take them outside for a good soaking and scrubbing!

I have tiles too so from about 3 weeks after moved out of their whelping box I use flanelette sheets up one end of the pen for sleeping and in the middle use a rubber mat - bought from the Supercheap shop its rubber and used as a boot mat about $20 so I have 3 they are easy to hose clean - that is in the middle and down the other end newspaper for their toilet training - once they are used to using the newspaper for toilet and their little legs are strong I remove the rubber mat in the middle - and they walk down to the newspaper for toilet - the trick I find is to keep the newspaper quite close for the first couple of weeks moving it further away each day and mop up any wee that does not go onto the paper as quickly as possible so they have the smell only on the paper - its worth the extra trouble till they get to know - and then they usually always use the paper even when out of the pen and having a play.

This is a link I found really helpful in training pups http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/breedingdogs/pottytrainingpuppies3weeks.htm