Another Dog Charged Us On Our Walk.. Getting Sick Of It!

Michelleva

This is the second time in the last few weeks I've had an out of control dog charging at me and my dog...

We were up at the local footy oval.. I had my 6yo son with me and we were kicking a soccer ball around with the dog, then we went to the playground. I saw him arrive, with the dog on a lead, but I could see this dog kept looking at my dog.. but it was miles away and on lead so I didn't worry too much. Then we were leaving, the dog broke the lead and just charged at me and my dog.. he slammed into my legs that hard, he knocked one of my slip on shoes off. I'm lucky to not get bowled over. I was trying to pick my dog up, but he was there in less than 2 seconds..

It looked like a staffy and the guy said he broke the lead, of course had no recall. He was yelling at me from the oval he won't do anything.. well stuff you mate, I'm not taking any chances... it really shook me up.. I'm still shaking. Thank God my son wasn't close to me. My ankle still hurts, I think I rolled it a bit. The guy made a hasty exit.. I suspect he was feeling rather guilty.

The dog was wearing a cheap looking harness.. and the thing was 100% muscle... I think he needs a lesson in how to restrain a dog like that. :banghead:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest donatella

From now on carry a big stick or something to protect you and your dog with. Sorry to hear that it happened, it very scary and frustrating!

I was trying to pick my sheltie up as soon as I saw it charging at us. But he was there in literally 1 - 2 seconds. He certainly didn't seem vicious, but still scared the crap out of me. I think I better ice my foot, its really sore in one spot. I think a big stick or an umbrella might be necessary. Its sad that you have to think about things like that.

Guest donatella

It really is, but it's such a common occurrence these days you really have to think safety first, I know some dog walkers swear by a riding crop when out.

I've had similar at a dog beach, I had mine on a leash walking along the water and from the distance a dog comes tearing up at us, I quickly picked her up, the dog ran back to its owners, I put her back down again and the dog comes tearing back after us again, this happened about 3 more times, I was literally walking with my head looking over my shoulders. Turned out the dog was friendly and just wanted a chase but surely the stupid owners would have called it back after the first time of me picking her up, and with her being on a leash. I'm not interested in dogs 5 times her size chasing us from behind without warning.

Sorry this happened, sounds scary :(

It also sounds like a genuine accident though. The guy didn't let the dog off deliberately while it was interested and he took it away after the incident, which is more than plenty of people would do. I'm sure while the guy was helplessly watching his dog disappear it was all he could think of to do to yell that it was harmless.

If you see him again and he hasn't upgraded his harness and leash then sure he needs a kick up the butt, but hopefully he's learned a lesson from this.

There is a product called Spray Shield to deter dogs from approaching. Apparently it does not do the dog any harm but the noise and the smell puts them off. Is anything like this available in Australia??

I read the link and it was interesting.. basically I should be standing tall and saying NO in a loud but assertive voice.. there's only one problem when I get scared, I freeze up, I am unable to say anything. I've been like that my whole life.. and something I need to work on. I think carrying an umbrella to use to block a dog could help. I do want to say that although I've been charged by these dogs, they haven't gone to attack me or my dog.. not so far anyway, but the rushing at me, scares me half to death.

And the owner was sorry, its not like he was intentionally letting his dog run off lead, I was just in too much shock to have a real conversation with him, I was actually shaking.

Edited by Michelleva

Sas, don't you think the owner has some sort of responibility to teach the dog the COME command.. this wasn't an 8 week old puppy, it was probably an 8 month old tank!

I also have the right to walk my dog in public without being charged by yet another dog that an owner can't control. If you can't control a MUSCLEY strong willed dog, don't own one! Ok that the end of my venting.

Maybe your dog was giving off some aggressive body language? As this isn't the first case of this happening...?

My dog hadn't even noticed this dog, until he was in her face. We were miles away in the playground, he was initially on the other side of the oval. If anything this dog, was VERY interested in my dog, the owner kept yanking on the lead, because he was staring at my dog in an obsessive manner. I was aware of it from the second it entered the oval. I stupidly believed that because it was restrained it would be ok, obviously not.

I don't think the dog was aggressive, because once he got to us, he just stood over my dog, but who knows what his intentions were.

I see so many off lead dogs around our area and I would say most if not all have no recall silly owners wanting their dog to be free..( fine if you have 100% control) Next doors dog was attacked the other day by 2 off lead dogs although in this situation he got the better, but the owner still walks his dogs off lead..

I will add this terrifies me as I was attacked as a young child and tense up when this breed is around me especially.. I walked Rogue the other day on my own and I was petrified, I hate feeling vulnerable and boy did I ever.. We had a few dogs but saw none outside the yard.. I read the artical thanks for posting it and the riding crop sounds like a good idea thanks for the suggestion not sure on the pepper spray, I would prob get it in my eyes LOL

Edited by mumof4girls

If the lead broke it's not the owners fault, come on now. It's just a very unfortunate situation.

+ one for this comment. He had his dog restrained (for obvious lack of recall) and I'm sure when he left for the park he had no idea the lead would break. Do you expect him to never take the pup anywhere because there is a rare chance the lead may snap? Accidents happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your car slams into someone because your tyres are worn, you are considered at fault.

The lead broke, yes, but I tend to check my leads for signs of wear, hopefully, I'd notice if something was amiss, e.g stitching came loose. The Staffy owner doesn't need to stop taking his pup out, but probably needs to check leads regularly and get some training underway for recall.

It doesn't sound like Michelleva's dog was giving off aggressive signals as they were leaving when the Staffy rushed. This incident shouldn't have happened, but could the Staffy been after the soccer ball? Some dogs are really ball crazy.

Can someone with dog behaviour expertise comment on this:

I've been told to only let my dog look at another for a second or so (when we're walking), then to get his attention back straight after. If the Staffy was eyeing Micheleva's group for an extended time, would have been the time for the Staffy owner to correct him, not when the lead was under maximum strain? If a dog is eyeing another for longer than a few seocnds, would that be a better time to stand tall, put yourself between the 2 dogs (but not yell) than when the charge is in full flight? Would it make any difference?

It doesn't sound like Michelleva's dog was giving off aggressive signals as they were leaving when the Staffy rushed. This incident shouldn't have happened, but could the Staffy been after the soccer ball? Some dogs are really ball crazy.

In answer to your question, this dog had no interest in the soccer ball. My son was off chasing it maybe 20 metres from me and the dog. He never looked at the ball, he only had eyes for my dog. The reason he ran into my legs is becauses he was trying to get to my dog, and my dog got scared so tried to get as close as possible to me. Not once did my dog bark, or even look at this dog till it was charging for us..

It feels like some people think I'm at fault here, thats really disappointing. I'm a pet lover and wish the dog no harm, I would just like all owners to behave in a responsible manner. I have had a couple of occasions where my dog has slipped the lead, I've called her and she's come straight back.. and don't worry she's not perfect and neither am I, far from it actually.

If the lead broke it's not the owners fault, come on now. It's just a very unfortunate situation.

+ one for this comment. He had his dog restrained (for obvious lack of recall) and I'm sure when he left for the park he had no idea the lead would break. Do you expect him to never take the pup anywhere because there is a rare chance the lead may snap? Accidents happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to disagree. Why should she have to worry about her and her dogs safety because the owner never bothered teaching his dog a good recall?