Sage - Needing Some Advice

Ok We have had Sage now for almost 6 months and have had little to no interest in her at all. I feel like I am in over my head with her too.

Sage is a very physically strong dog who I struggle to keep control of, even sometimes with her Halti on. She is very people orientated and would love a home of her own but I am starting to think we may not be able to help her.

As she is so strong and goes into a frenzy when she sees another dog, we havent introduced her to our Shelties (who are very wussy). We have a large yard out the back of our house that during the day Sage is in, at night time she is inside in her crate. We try to spend at least an hour outside with her each evening doing training or mostly just throwing the ball for her. We also have cats and although she hasnt "gone" one of them in a long time we dont feel we can trust her with them, as if they run I feel like she would chase as well. Around most of our yard we have colourbond fencing, however, the gate is an old farm gate type. Sage used to sit there and bark at everyone as they went past, worried about complaints we have covered the gate in shade cloth so she cant see out - well now she has decided to jump over the gate, multiple times in the last couple of days.

Yesterday morning and this morning, unknown to me, Sage jumped the gate and rushed a lady who regularly walks her two small dogs, she called out for help and my neighbour came to her aid (I didnt hear any of this) and while trying to restrain Sage, she was pulled off her feet and possibly dragged a little. My neighbour has a couple of small abrasions on her back and we have told her that we will cover any medical costs at all, small consolation I know

Before Sage came to me, she was in with a pack of dogs, that (for want of a better description) self managed and would tell Sage off is she overstepped any boundaries and from all reports got along well with the other dogs. While we were at our trainers getting private lessons for her, people for another class turned up and well, Sage was extremely aroused by this and my trainer actually expressed alarm at the state of arousal that she was in and we havent been confident enough or had a dog reliable enough to introduce her to and to be honest is something went wrong I would struggle to help either dog as Sage is so strong

I really need some help or ideas on what we can do to make Sage safe to find a home of her own.........

Picture of Sage

post-33232-0-50927000-1332147881_thumb.jpg

We are very new to rescue, only had a few SMALL dogs through (and cats) our rescue so Sage is a lot larger than I am used to and a lot stronger also

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't help as it is outside me area of expertise but I am sure there will be many others who can offer advice and support. It sounds like she needs to be moved to someone who can accurately assess and monitor her.

I can't help as it is outside me area of expertise but I am sure there will be many others who can offer advice and support. It sounds like she needs to be moved to someone who can accurately assess and monitor her.

Thanks Anne, I appreciate your reply and I agree with you. I would love for someone to assess her properly. When she first came to us, she wouldnt walk on a leash without pulling you off your feet, we had several private lessons with our trainer who basically, after seeing what she was like when other dogs were around, suggested we PTS as there are many other lovely dogs around without the problems that Sage has but we really wanted to give her the best shot of finding a home of her own. Now I really feel out of my depth

Hollys Mummy I'm going to PM you.

PS thanks

I would love for someone to assess her properly. When she first came to us, she wouldnt walk on a leash without pulling you off your feet, we had several private lessons with our trainer who basically, after seeing what she was like when other dogs were around, suggested we PTS as there are many other lovely dogs around.

PS thanks

I am not judging you, you have tried to help Sage, but, when we ask the professionals for advice and they assess the dogs and give advice, we need to take their advice, they are the experts.

I have done just what you have done and tried to help the dogs rather than take the experts advice, but, in the end the dogs have had to be pts, so for the last couple of years I have taken their advice, as all the experts say, while you are trying to save one who has issues many really nice dogs will die.

This is what rescue is all about.

Maree

CPR

Sage came into care at her previous place with a litter of pups - one would think that would have made her more reactive with other dogs, but she slotted into a large pack quite well. Mind you, most of the dogs in that pack were larger than her and not so easy to push around. They had all been used to strange dogs coming into the pack and weren't fazed by silly behaviour by a newcomer.

Could she be picking up on your nervousness as well, which is exascerbating(sp?) the issue?

Is your trainer a behaviourist? If not, maybe a consult with one will help get to the root of the issue, and possibly be able to help more...

All that said, I have known dogs that developed similar behaviours to the point where they had to be pts. It's never easy to hold a dog that is otherwise lovely whilst we do the only thing that can truly give them release from certain issues.

T.

Sorry to hear about your current situation.

I think it's great that you've spone up, simply some dogs are too much for some people and / or outside the realms of what they have experience in.

To me, if you were one of my foster carers, I would pay for a Behaviourist to come in and help you and if that didn't help then I would have the dog removed and sent to our behavioural bootcamp with our behaviourist.

Can that type of thing happen in your situation?

Edited by sas

Can't multiquote DOH!

Keetamouse/Maree, this outcome has been at the back of our minds for some time, I don't want that to happen because I am not a suitable career for Sage or if there is anything else I can do for her. Thank you for replying

Tiderikx, would you mind if I PM you? You have actually met her, while she was in the pack and I would love to ask some questions. From all reports she is friendly once she meets a dog but her arousal at seeing another dog has even set Merlin off and i have never seen him react like that, normally too laid back to react and Dexter just wants to attack while she is like that. Yet they will sniff noses through the crate.

The trainer I use has over 25 training experience, along with running her own rescue for BC's for years, I am not sure if technically she is a behaviourist.

If anyone can recommend a behaviourist over here I would be happy to take Sage to see them?

Sas, it is just my husband and myself in our rescue at the moment. We have our trainer and a very supportive vet who are happy to help where they can.

Sounds like a behaviourist will be the next step, will kept you posted as we find one and arrange a consult

Thank you to everyone for replying

WOW had no idea a behaviourist would be so expensive. Cost I have been quoted is around $300-$400 depending on length of consultation - is that normal????

I will have to discuss this with my husband as I dont think we can afford this right now :( and I really dont know what to do

Yep, the person we got in was the best money I ever spent because they give you knowledge which you can use for other dogs. Ours cost $200 but that was about 3 years ago and she was new at it so charged less but she was oh so good.

Holly's mummy I could donate a minimum of $50 towards engaging one if that helps as my fundraisers are still running at and I have nothing committed to anyone else at present.

Are there any large rescue groups in your area who you could contact to ask who they use? You might be able to get rescue rates.

So we sat down last night and really discussed what our next move was to be ........

The behaviourist we have contacted has a group session she offers for agressive dogs, there is a questionaire to be filled out to assess suitability for this program, so we are starting with that. Once the quesionaire is filled out Kathy (behaviourist) decides from that if you are suitable for the class or if a private session will be better - so we will see what Kathy comes back with in regards to what is best for Sage.

I know I was surprised about the price but after thinking about it, everyone here is right, the advice will be worth way more than the cash we will pay for it!

There is also a rescue group of here that look after staffy's and bull breeds so I am going to contact them to see if they would be able to assess her for us, I will make sure they have someone experienced to do this.

If Sage passes both, we will continue to advertise her to find her a home

The other thing, that has occurred to me, is maybe I have written something about her that is putting people off enquiring about her? Here is a link to her Petrescue profile - if anyone has any ideas how I can write something about her - please let me know?

http://www.petrescue.com.au/view/149071

Puppy_Sniffer - thank you for your very generous offer but we will be ok (once the shock has worn off LOL) and thank you for your PM's too

Tiderikx - thank you again for the information you sent through by PM its very helpful

No problems Hollys mummy - I only met Sage one time, but I was there for a good few hours and saw how she interacted with the rest of the pack - even when I brought out the big bag of treats and had them all sitting patiently waiting to be served theirs...

I can't see anything wrong with how you've advertised her on PetRescue - it's factual and based on your interactions with her whilst she's been living with you - there is nothing I would call negative about the information given.

So far I reckon you are doing all the right things.

T.

I thought her ad sounded great. If I had been looking for a dog I would have liked that you have been honest in your recommendations for the best kind of home for her. I can't imagine anything worse than having her go to someone who could not handle her at all and end up being surrendered again.

You will be in excellent hands with Kathy. Make sure she knows that you want her opinion on suitability for rehoming as well as the general assessment of the dog

Suitability for rehoming is a different scenario to- Can the dog be trained/ rehabiltated etc. While in many cases it is possible to rehab a dog with issues, finding a home willing AND able to do so SAFELY can be near on impossible. Of course the dog described here may not have serious issues so this is more a general comment.

Good luck, hope to hear a positive update. I am sure Kathy will be able to give you specific tools but if you want something to start on now, feel free to email me and i will send through some notes i have regarding a training exercise that could certainly help and won't do any harm. [email protected] No charge.

You will be in excellent hands with Kathy. Make sure she knows that you want her opinion on suitability for rehoming as well as the general assessment of the dog

Suitability for rehoming is a different scenario to- Can the dog be trained/ rehabiltated etc. While in many cases it is possible to rehab a dog with issues, finding a home willing AND able to do so SAFELY can be near on impossible. Of course the dog described here may not have serious issues so this is more a general comment.

Good luck, hope to hear a positive update. I am sure Kathy will be able to give you specific tools but if you want something to start on now, feel free to email me and i will send through some notes i have regarding a training exercise that could certainly help and won't do any harm. [email protected] No charge.

Thank you so much for your kind and generous offer - I will send you an email tonight - thank you again