Barf (again...sorry!)

Borja

I am considering BARF diet for my pup.

I have been doing a search in the forums about BARF and (correct me if I am wrong) it looks like a lot of people have recently (past 6 months) said that the product has changed and their dogs wont eat it anymore and they aren’t going to buy it again. Then I read some more posts saying that ‘Big Dog’ still sell the original Dr B. BARF formula. Then read more posts saying the product from ‘Big Dog’ has gone sloppy…I think that’s how it went??

Anyway, can anyone advise me of whether the product is still good? I would make my own BARF diet but I much prefer the convenience of buying it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

My dogs will eat anything, but a couple of years ago a friend gave out some patties at my obedience club because her dog was sick & couldn't eat them any more. I gave my 2 older dogs 1/2 each & neither of them were fussed about them, the older one did eat it but brought it up later.

I did hear late last year that Dr B sold the business & was then sorry he did. Maybe that was when the change in recipe took place.

When I originally bought his books I used to make my own barf meals & they were very sloppy. I used to mix everything up in a blender & needed liquid from eggs, yogurt, oils etc to get them to blend the vegies. Back then the dog had 40 vegie mix & 60% raw meaty bones. I think the barf patties contain crushed bone which defeats the purpose of the dog ripping & chewing the RMB.

As with any change in diet you will need to change over slowly.

I buy Big Dog and haven't noticed a huge change. Skmetimes it's sloppier than usual but I think that depends on how I defrost it, ie. fridge defrost = not sloppy, microwave = sloppy.

I wouldnt be putting it in the microwave with the bones in it

I buy Big Dog and haven't noticed a huge change. Skmetimes it's sloppier than usual but I think that depends on how I defrost it, ie. fridge defrost = not sloppy, microwave = sloppy.

I only microwave them on defrost setting, just enough so they're soft enough to break up, not so they're warm. And this is only if I forget to get one out the night before. :)

Edited by moosepup

I only microwave them on defrost setting, just enough so they're soft enough to break up, not so they're warm. And this is only if I forget to get one out the night before. :)

I wouldn't microwave either. When I forget to take out of freezer, which happens, place them in a container & pour boiling water over. 20 mins & they are thawed.

Both my dogs have always been fed BARF or big dog. I used to make my own but because I live close to where it is made, I am able to buy in bulk direct from them.

If there has been a recipe change, we haven't noticed. Jangels & Louis love this food & thrive on it combined with other RMB's. I wouldn't feed anything else.

I wouldn't microwave either. When I forget to take out of freezer, which happens, place them in a container & pour boiling water over. 20 mins & they are thawed.

Occasionally when I forget to take them out of the freezer, I stick them in the microwave for 20 or 30 seconds, just to soften it enough to break it up a bit with a knife. I often give it to my pup still quite frozen (it slows her down and takes her 20 seconds to eat, instead of 10!), I just need to be able to break it in half.

If I forget to take it out of the freezer, I don't have 20 minutes for them to thaw - I usually only realise at feeding time which is about 5 minutes before walking out the door to work.

Never had any issues with it after a few second in the mic.

Same. I also wouldn't like to pour boiling water over the plastic as heating some plastics can cause it to leach chemicals. I'm happy to just mw defrost the 'nude' patty the couple of times a month I forget. It's not like they have bone chunks that will harden. I wouldn't mw an RMB for example.

Same. I also wouldn't like to pour boiling water over the plastic as heating some plastics can cause it to leach chemicals. I'm happy to just mw defrost the 'nude' patty the couple of times a month I forget. It's not like they have bone chunks that will harden. I wouldn't mw an RMB for example.

Me too moosey - the bone in the patties is ground if I remember rightly. :)

Cooked ground bone turns into to a concrete like substance in the gut and can cause obstructions, something to be aware of. I would rather feed something else or have them miss a meal than microwave or thaw in hot water.