Mock Rally Trial Held At Geelong

A Mock Rally Obedience Trial judged by a RO judge was held on Thursday night at the Geelong Show Grounds run by the Bellarine Dog Activities Group. :clap:

It turned out to be a great success. The organiser did a magnificant job making sure all the paper work, numbers, catalogues etc as well as the ribbons were done. :thanks:

It was a bit heart stopping for me as a number of the entrants are in my rally classes. I was so nervous for them, then to be last in the ring myself with them all watching was aghhhhhhhh. :eek:

The girls did very well. A few exercises were done too far away from the signs, some forgot to read the Halt after the finish word, a few tight leads but other than that it was a wonderful chance to see what needs to be practiced before the big RO trial at Easter.

The course wasn't too challenging but it did have some of the tricky signs that needed to be read all the way down to the last word before executing them.

Thanks to all who entered and made it a very life like trial. :thumbsup:

PS, Gambit and I did get a pass and came 1st

Hey Monet n Diva's Mum

We are all in the trialing Rally Obedience mode at present as the first Rally O trial to be held in Victoria will be held at KCC Park on 7-8 April in the afternoon.

Hope to see you there so you can watch Rally O in progress

Congratulations! I would love to come and watch a rally-o!

Hi Gamby, will see you at the easter trials with my sammies, think we know each other LOL...

I have been doing the Foo run thru the last three weeks and Indy is loving it,there is still some confusion for some handlers with the signs but if you study them you should be right, the walk thru before judging is so important. Rally is alot of fun and very motivating for the dog, i am a die hard obedience person, i love to get my dogs thru a routine and get a high score without the need to talk or give second commands but to my surprise i really love talking to my dog during rally !!!

Hi TrackSam

That name is perfect for you. :clap:

Yes I love RO also. I've been dabbling in it for many years and have seen many people who can't or won't do Obedience finally walk the courses with smiles on their faces. They can't believe how easy it is to get the dog to do the stations correctly with their dogs tails wagging. :cheer:

For me it has been a truly rewarding experience.

A lack of concentration is all it needs for the handler to do a station by missing out on one word. A number of those who did the course last night learnt heaps.

Easter is going to be a get together of all Obedience, tracking, agility, herding, etc., etc people that we haven't seen for years. I'm so looking forward to it.

I will definately see you there. Have you entered obedience also or just doing Rally. I'm only doing Rally.

Hi Gamby, will see you at the easter trials with my sammies, think we know each other LOL...

I have been doing the Foo run thru the last three weeks and Indy is loving it,there is still some confusion for some handlers with the signs but if you study them you should be right, the walk thru before judging is so important. Rally is alot of fun and very motivating for the dog, i am a die hard obedience person, i love to get my dogs thru a routine and get a high score without the need to talk or give second commands but to my surprise i really love talking to my dog during rally !!!

I'm happy to say that Geelong Obedience Dog Club are running a Mock Rally Obedience Trial for members on Sunday morning. thanks to the judge for giving up her Sunday morning.

Some will be lucky enough to have another go at a RO Trial as well as getting feed back while for many it will be the first time.

Walk the course at 9.30, start at 10.15am

What is the Rally O DVD Canine Coach Melbourne.

Is it the one with all the stations and explanations?

I'd be interested to know also

Does anyone know whom to contact in order to purchase the RALLY O. DVD made in Queensland?

Thanks

Canine Coach Melbourne

Hi TrackSam

That name is perfect for you. :clap:

Yes I love RO also. I've been dabbling in it for many years and have seen many people who can't or won't do Obedience finally walk the courses with smiles on their faces. They can't believe how easy it is to get the dog to do the stations correctly with their dogs tails wagging. :cheer:

For me it has been a truly rewarding experience.

A lack of concentration is all it needs for the handler to do a station by missing out on one word. A number of those who did the course last night learnt heaps.

Easter is going to be a get together of all Obedience, tracking, agility, herding, etc., etc people that we haven't seen for years. I'm so looking forward to it.

I will definately see you there. Have you entered obedience also or just doing Rally. I'm only doing Rally.

No, just rally, at 12 yrs Indy is too old to jump so can't enter open but has his CDX anyway.i am sure he would love to jump but his mother won't allow him too LOL.. Zen isn't ready to trial but have entered four shows over the four days plus four rally trials, i am going to be a bit busy !! Will be great to catch up

What is the Rally O DVD Canine Coach Melbourne.

Is it the one with all the stations and explanations?

I'd be interested to know also

Does anyone know whom to contact in order to purchase the RALLY O. DVD made in Queensland?

Thanks

Canine Coach Melbourne

Yes it shows all the stations and how to perform them There is only one "official" DVD made in Queensland that I am aware of

Supposedly someone was selling it in Bermagui NSW at their Trial weekend but I was not there

So far I have not been able to locate a source to purchase one from

I thouight it would make a really nice suprise gift and a wonderful training aid for two of the dog/handler who come to me for training in RALLY

Anyone who has the info., please E Mail me privately

Thanks Again

Canine Coach Melbourne

It was great and very well run, thanks for organising it. On the bright side Chazer would have passed if I did the signs properly :laugh: So fingers crossed for the trials at Easter.

We have never really done much heeling before but managed to get through OK. At one point when he really started sniffing (not far from where the bird was the last few weeks) I just have him a little pat which distracted him enough to get his attention just before a 270 turn. I just got myself a book that I really like to help me with heeling, Schutzhund Obedience by Gottfried Dildei & Sheila Booth, so am doing a bit more work on that.

I also need to teach him to move his back end instead of the front end when doing left turns, but not sure how to do it.

ETA - I would be interested in the DVD too. I hope at the Easter trial they separate us inexperienced people from the obedience titled dogs :)

Edited by helen

Sarah will be teaching us how to move the dogs backend by using the set box (not the set top box as I call it). At a workshop I went to we were put into a square corner [_]. With the dog on the left side we were to lure the dog backwards around us. It was very hard. After Gambit and I had tried it we were standing near some girls and the next thing Gambit backed around me as though he'd been doing it for ever.

Did you ever do the standing in a small square just big enough to stand inside it and moved one foot to the left (pivot) then bought the other foot together, then repeated it around the square. that's a good exercise also especially when doing a pivot move.

Hope these things help you

It was great and very well run, thanks for organising it. On the bright side Chazer would have passed if I did the signs properly :laugh: So fingers crossed for the trials at Easter.

We have never really done much heeling before but managed to get through OK. At one point when he really started sniffing (not far from where the bird was the last few weeks) I just have him a little pat which distracted him enough to get his attention just before a 270 turn. I just got myself a book that I really like to help me with heeling, Schutzhund Obedience by Gottfried Dildei & Sheila Booth, so am doing a bit more work on that.

I also need to teach him to move his back end instead of the front end when doing left turns, but not sure how to do it.

ETA - I would be interested in the DVD too. I hope at the Easter trial they separate us inexperienced people from the obedience titled dogs :)

i was talking to the trial secretary at training the other night, i suggested to her that it would be nice if they seperated the classes to give the newbies a chance to win but she said someone else was doing the catalog and they had enough to organise, were also having problems with handlers with four or five dogs entered, i think if you have multiple entries you will be allowed two per class, then put in another class, which may mean staggered times to walk the course.

As for the rear end training teach your dog to touch a phone book with its front paw, then get both paws on, then lure them with your hand with food in front of nose to the left, as they start to turn left, watch for the slighest movement from the back feet and reward for that, i have taught my young dog that way and he can swing his back end around on cue when i start to drop my left shoulder.

i had to teach my 12 yr old boy to turn left for rally and by luring him with food into left circles ,telling him back he has the idea, not as good at swinging his rear end like my young boy but he is doing enough to get him thru in the ring

I'm glad I'm not the trial Secretary for the upcoming trial at Easter. It will be a nightmare trying to accomodate everyone who will enter.

We might not finish until well into Sunday and Monday morning (Only because I think the entries will be so big)

Once the powers that be get over that trial I'm sure they will tweek a number of things to make it easier for themselves and the judges.

Are the judges going to be hard on those who have entered in regards to where the dog is in relation to the handlers leg. Are all the judges on the same page with regards to where we stand infront of the station for the changes of directions and for all the other stations.

The GODC Mock Trial was another great success. There were 16 entries to be judged. Many of them learnt heaps. The finish station was the best to watch as everyone relaxed and just walked out of the course on the left hand side of the station. Some couldn't even say "Retry" The look on their faces was priceless

As usual the 1, 2, 3 steps forward or backwards got a lot of people

Hopefully another one can be arranged as it gets closer to the GODC trial in July 2012.

I've got to stop wishing my life away as I haven't got that many years left :rofl: