5 Day Old Puppies Crying

**Super_Dogs**

I am still pretty new to breeding so I am still learning.

How much should puppies cry? And for how long?

I have a litter that are 5 days old. Pretty much the whole litter have been crying for the last 2 hours, very loudly. First I thought they may be hungry as some of the puppies were opening their mouth and sticking thier tonge out, so i encouraged mum to feed. Which they all did.

Then i thought maybe mum has no milk, So I weighted a couple. The ones I weighed have put on 50 and 80 grams, which is consistent with the weight gain for the last few days.

Mum has also stimulated a few to pee that I have seen in the last hour, so she is doing her job here.

I have also checked mum teats and also her temperature. All good here.

I hate listening to them cry for so long. :( When should I be worried?

I was actually just thinking this so checked. Temp is fine. Also the temperature has not changed much the last few days so I figure if this was a problem there would have been crying before today.

Puppies have finally stopped crying. :)

I am still keen to hear about how long puppies should cry for :confused:

Mostly they shouldn't , IMO. puppies only cry when they are hungry, in pain, hot or cold.

My first guess is they were too hot.(open mouths) Tiny pups can NOT regulate their own temperature ..What's the temperature where they are ..as in on the floor where they are lying?

It the mother panting?

Stopping crying after a long period may be a good thing..or it may mean they are tired or unwell....

They may have had bellyaches or full bladders, too ....

How are they lying ...

Did mum have a ceasar? In the first week I find Pug puppies cry when they are cold or hungry. If mum has had a ceasar then the milk may be taking a while to come down and therefore crying means hungry. I see you are in queensland, your temp may not neccessarily mean the bubbas should be warm...usually if they are piled together they are cold and if spread all over the whelping box means they are warm or just right. :)

From my very limited experience I would go with too warm - my litter did the same at a similar age and no matter what I tried they cried and then a few experienced breeder friends suggested I take them out of the box (which had a heat lamp) and put them on the floor and see what happened. Yep they shut up and settled down to sleep - they were too warm in the box. LIke you I had made sure they fed, weighed them, checked they had been toileted etc. I think I even tried lowering the heat lamp thinking they were cold.

The temperature at ground level is 23 degrees. I used an app on my IPad so it is likely this is a few degrees off. Mum is not panting. My understanding is this temp is fine. I have to say though I do feel a little warm in the room where they are.

The pups have just woken again and having a feed- quietly. So I will see how they are when finished.

I am going to put a damp towel down. We did this last year to help the pups when it was hot. If they all attract to it this will tell me they must be hot.

When the stopped crying earlier and slept they were lying on there side, As normal.

How would they lie if they had a sore belly?

Yes mum did have a ceasar. I also thought maybe they where hungry, but there weight gain is normal and consistent, with not change today. I would have thought this would indicate her milk is fine?

I am thinking hot. The pups are sleeping spread out.

Thanks everyone. It really worries me listening to the poor babies crying.

So far so good. I turned on the ceiling fan to low, to get some air circulation, and just some babies crying after the feed on the damp towel and they went straight to sleep.

And guess what I just see. Mum panting and now also asleep on the towel!

Currently there is silence!! It is lovely.

I just checked the weather and it is pretty warm tonight. So hopefully problem solved.

23 seems cold? put a thermometer (sp) in there and double check. Mine were really hot, inside the house i could not cool it down, (45 + outside) the box was 31 degree or so, i put wet towels down and a fan on them and they were all quiet and happy....they were most comfortable at 26-28 degree

Other thing is they may have colic, i was given some awesome stuff for colic from a freind and got some myself and used it on the babies, worked a treat, PM me if interested and i'll send you the link

i might have missed it, but is mum on Antibiotics? how are their poops?

Edited by HANNAH

I think it would have been slightly hotter than 23 degrees however it is not the temp that is the issue it is the humity at over 90%. Earlier when they were crying I was just standing next to the whelping box and I had a sweaty brow.

The damp towel has worked a treat. Quiet puppies and mum also staying with her babies asleep on the towel.

:) Good to hear .. yep .. a ceiling fan on low will help , more than extra dampness , perhaps ?. Whatever keeps them comfortable :)

You may want to try, tomorrow .. a couple of those frozen ice thingies for eskies, etc. I have a large one ..almost 30 cm square . I freeze it solid, wrap in a couple layers of newspaper, then put into a pillowcase , and into where pups are . IF they are hot.. , even at a few days old .. they will gravitate to it, and clamber on top, or snuggle up against it. :)

Just make sure that they have plenty of room to get away from either a heat source,or a frozen item!

I just wet the towel and ring it, so it is wet, but not dripping. So probably really it is more than damp. Last litter we just rewet it a few times a day.

My whelping box is not small and I have covered one corner to keep in warmer, in case the pups get cold.

So fingers crossed no more crying.

Thanks again :D

in my last litter i used to have one puppy that used to cry alot, after a few days he felt a little swollen around his tummy so decided to see if he needed to go to the toilet, well he did the biggest poo and my partner looked at me like i was a sicko but after that he fell sound asleep. Found out after a few days he had a bit of constipation and mums licks just weren't enough so I had to toilet him everyday, if I didn't he would end up crying alot. The other pups in the litter were fine, he just needed some help for the first couple of weeks.

Looks like this is solved but for future ref the other thing it can be is colic or similar from the mothers milk and a bit of Bicarb of Soda in the mothers food often helps.

I am hoping I have solved the problem.

Just in case.........how much do you put in her food?

I'm another that think the pups may be too warm. They keep their mouths open and will cry.

If your pups seem uncomfortable I always toilet them - just in case. Sometimes mum does a good job with the urine but doesn't lick long or low enough for the poos.

90% humidity, yukkk! because they couldn't regulate their own temps i was worried i would freeze the poor little things by putting towels down and fans on them, but not as much as i was worried they would cook in that horrible heat, with the wet towels down they would all crawl up and lay on them and then would be sounds asleep, nothing worse than crying pups and your wondering if they're hungry, are they sick, coliccy, oh no they're hot and bothered