Pet Cremation In Canberra?

koalathebear

OH's colleagues have a very, very old dog that's fading fast. In preparation for when their dog dies, they wanted to know if there are any pet cremation services in Canberra so that they don't have to just go with the disposal by the vet option. Does anyone know anyone reputable that they recommend? Thanks.

Edited by koalathebear

I have used Pets at Peace here in Canberra and cannot fault them, I have had many fosters cremated plus my own over 10 years.

Tony the chap who operates Pets at Peace is just the nicest man, very caring, loving person.

Am really surprised that Vehs found him to be awful, he is the only one who picks up and drops off, he does have a lady now helping so maybe it is her and not Tony that she found awful.

Maree

CPR

I've used Pets at Peace twice now and they were fantastic. Little touches that just made it all less traumatic.

There is another one that just opened up but I can't remember the name.

That's the first bad thing I've heard about P@P though and through rescue I talk to lots of owners who have recently lost doggies.

As others have said there is Pets at Peace, I found them awful and refused to use them :shrug:

Vehs, can you explain why? With an old dog myself this is something of great concern to me. Happy to receive a PM if you can't put it on the forum.

What alternatives are there in Canberra than Pets at Peace?

I was passed one day on the road by a Pets at Peace car and I thought, I hope you haven't got someone's dog in the back of that car.

Edited by Sheridan

While I have never used the Canberra branch of it, 2 difference branches of Pets at Peace in Sydney were just wonderful. They come and pick up from the vet for you (or home if that is where the pet dies) and are very prompt and professional. My poor cat had been in the freezer at the vets for a week while I got myself together and worked out the financials, when I was ready they went and picked her up for me and I had the ashes within a few days.

I'm not sure about Canberra, but Again Pets at Peace in Sydney have been amazing. It probably comes down to the person you deal with, but Briar from Pets at peace is wonderful, and a genuinely caring person, as I have sadly been very recently reminded.

I had a lovely experience with P@P too. When Poochie was PTS I had a terrible time trying to decide what to do as there were family arguments -- mum wanted the vet to "just get rid of her" and she didn't understand why I was so distraught saying she deserved better than that.

In the end I was at work (spent my shift crying in the staff toilets) and I just called P@P myself and organised everything. I was glad my vet kept Poochie for me until we decided what to do with her.

She arrived in a lovely white scatter box with a plaque with her name on it. Eventually I was able to scatter her in the garden but her collar, lead and name tag are still in the box on my desk behind a lovely photo of her.

I'm grateful there are companies like Pets at Peace around; they help the grieving process.

Another endorsement for 'Pets at Peace' from me. Many years ago, before P@P was established in Canberra, I used someone else to cremate my first Golden and he was awful - I had to deliver my dog who had just been PTS and he thoughtlessly asked how I was, in the same way a checkout operator would say "hi how are you" as if they actually care. Given I had just had my dear old dog put down, suffice to say I was not feeling great, so it was a stupid and insensitive question! By contrast, Pets at Peace are very conscientious about being kind and tactful with grieving pet owners.

Another recommendation for Pets at Peace Canberra from me. My family used them when our first dog, a Samoyed, died (picture as my avatar) and everyone but me was an absolute wreck at the vet's. They made a very painful part of the process bearable. Great thoughtful personal service, the guy came around with our dog's ashes in a beautiful urn and handwritten note. I was very impressed, and I am seldom impressed with service providers! (Satisfied, but not impressed!)

Edited by Ms Genki

I deal with many pet crematoriums around Australia and only recommend those that are caring, compassionate and have your pets best interests at heart. I can personally recommend "Paw Bearers" www.pawbearers.com.au or call Louise directly 0413130918. Both Louise and Luke love animals and have about 6 dogs themselves that are mainly all rescue dogs. They opened their business in January this year due to the lack of good crematoriums in Canberra. They personally pick your pet up and return the ashes within 3 working days. To my knowledge no other crematorium does this and you normally have to wait up to 14 days. Regards Janine Phillips www.petcremationurns.com.au

A week?? Seriously! Where the hell do they send your dog that it takes a week.

I don't know, but I wasn't emotionally ready to have them back for a week so it suited me fine.

I would expect my dog back the next day at the latest.There is no reason for it to take a week. Indeed, when my last dog was euthanised the pet cremation place near Geelong picked him up in the morning and I picked him up that afternoon. I'm appalled that this place takes a week. I may as well drive 10 hours to Geelong and it would still take less time.

Edited by Sheridan