Boxer Breeders Euthanising White Puppies

Guest Augustine The Boxer

Not all Boxer breeders breed for flashy markings, they simply accept that if they do get that one standout pup that has it all plus some flashy chrome then it is a bonus. Personally I prefer a plain black mask, with fully pigmented dark eyes, it all comes down to personal taste. Many dogs in the ring are borderline mismarks due to the amount of chrome.

It isn't chrome. The white in boxers is due to areas of no pigment. Chrome pigment is yellow and is not found in dogs.

I think some breeders are prepared to breed white pups because they can often sell them. There is a section of the market that is attracted to 'rare' colours, without any understanding of why certain colours might be less desirable health-wise than the standard colours of a breed. This doesn't just happen in boxers.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To Dog Fan and Sheridan, Beacuse it gives them more chance of producing a show quality flashy boxer (ie lots of white but not too much). When you breed for that one special dog/horse/cat/cow whatever you are accepting that the rest may not be perfect and may require culling. Like race horses - how many thoroughbreds are bred to produce that one Black Cavier. They just don't factor in.

I have a problem with the ethics of this attitude. If this is the only way that the perfect boxer can be produced breeders need to take a long hard look at what they are doing and why. Why should any purebred puppies have to be culled because they are the wrong colour? It's cold and heartless. Those poor little puppies. It breaks my heart. :cry:

Let's get some perspective.

How many breeders are breeding white boxers and culling them? We don't know.

How many people are breeding white boxers and selling them? A few. An increasing number.

And one of their sales tactics, to try to get the edge over their competitors, is to tell potential buyers that other breeders are killing puppies.

Meanwhile other breeders may actually be avoiding white pups through careful breeding.

Or perhaps these other breeders are deciding to painlessly cull white pups, at birth, to avoid the very real human heartbreak of falling in love with an animal, only to see it suffer from problems. That isn't cold and heartless at all. It is about wanting to avoid suffering. The 'poor little puppies' will not be aware and will die painlessly, so your sympathy is a little misplaced.

Don't allow the irresponsible breeders to manipulate your emotions.

I thought this thread had already established that not all white boxer puppies will necessarily have health problems and may not necessarily be deaf. Those poor little puppies whose only crime is that have been born the wrong colour. :cry::cry:

I thought we had established that white boxers were more prone to problems, and that it takes a while to discover if the pups are deaf. Also that they cannot be registered and cannot be sold by registered breeders?

We don't even know that there are boxer breeders in Australia that are breeding and culling puppies these days.

Save your sympathy for the poor dogs that suffer for their lifetime as a result of careless and irresponsible breeding, not the ones that avoid suffering.

It doesn't hurt an animal to be put down...rather that than, like Greytmate said, potentially live a life of misery.

If I were unable to keep one of my horses (unsound, so his only "use" is sitting in the paddock...), I'd put him down before I let any old idiot take him on. Unless I knew them very well and knew that every horse in their care was looked after and cared for. Same with white puppies with potential for health issues - why would you want to breed an animal with an uncertain future? OR rather, set an animal up for failure.

A healthy animal is more likely to be looked after than an unhealthy one. Especially in this economic climate.

JMO. I suppose there are people out there who have the money to spend zillions on their animals just to keep it alive...

Guest lavendergirl

It doesn't hurt an animal to be put down...rather that than, like Greytmate said, potentially live a life of misery.

If I were unable to keep one of my horses (unsound, so his only "use" is sitting in the paddock...), I'd put him down before I let any old idiot take him on. Unless I knew them very well and knew that every horse in their care was looked after and cared for. Same with white puppies with potential for health issues - why would you want to breed an animal with an uncertain future? OR rather, set an animal up for failure.

A healthy animal is more likely to be looked after than an unhealthy one. Especially in this economic climate.

JMO. I suppose there are people out there who have the money to spend zillions on their animals just to keep it alive...

Doesn't it? Depends how its done I guess - sorry I am a bit cynical about whether its always humanely done.

If people think it is ethical to PTS an animal at birth who MAY have health issues in the future (but may not), where does that stop? Just boxers? Other dogs with white pigment? Dogs who are carriers of genetic diseases? Breeds with a high percentage of HD? Breeds with a short life span? Brachycephalic breeds?

Gosh, I'm not sure there would be many dogs left.

I thought this thread had already established that not all white boxer puppies will necessarily have health problems and may not necessarily be deaf. Those poor little puppies whose only crime is that have been born the wrong colour. :cry::cry:

I thought we had established that white boxers were more prone to problems, and that it takes a while to discover if the pups are deaf. Also that they cannot be registered and cannot be sold by registered breeders?

We don't even know that there are boxer breeders in Australia that are breeding and culling puppies these days.

Save your sympathy for the poor dogs that suffer for their lifetime as a result of careless and irresponsible breeding, not the ones that avoid suffering.

Well Said.

Sometimes being a breeder is hard and we have to make hard choices. This is why some of us are able to be breeders and others do not have what it takes to be breeders. I applaud the ones who do the right thing and cringe at those who don't.

Despite what the tree hugging greenies think, we do care and it does pain us to put dogs and puppies down, but sometimes it is better done early than later.

Try telling that to my wonderful mismarked dog who is a credit to her breeder.

Edit: I can assure you that I am not a "tree hugging greenie" :laugh: Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean they have extreme views.

Edited by wuffles

Rotties are more prone to parvo than other breeds. Great Danes are more prone to bloat. Should they be killed at birth too?

Maybe white boxers should be allowed to be registered on limited register only. I don't have any issues with a breeder PTS a deaf dog, but it seems like the KC rules give them no choice.

When did anyone say or do anything which made them a "tree hugging greenie"?

This forum is hilarious.

This forum IS hilarious.

Tree Hugging Greenie.. My definition. My words, for those who criticise ethical breeders for everything they do. Damned if a breeder does, Damned if a breeder doesn't.

I have no issue of breeders putting to sleep their white boxers, if they feel they need to do this. As long as it is done humanely and for the right reasons. At the end of the day, they have to live with those decisions.

Wuffles: I could don't care if you agree with me or not. You have your opinion, I have mine. I have produced half white faced puppies and I BAER tested them. If they were deaf, they would have been put to sleep. I have put to sleep puppies as old as 3 weeks and even put to sleep a 14 month dog I bred and later rescued back. Better I did it than the pound. Just because YOUR dog is not deaf, and it was from normally marked parents, and IS allowed in the standard, does not necessarily benchmark everything else for those in the Boxer breed.

Wuffles: I could don't care if you agree with me or not. You have your opinion, I have mine. I have produced half white faced puppies and I BAER tested them. If they were deaf, they would have been put to sleep. I have put to sleep puppies as old as 3 weeks and even put to sleep a 14 month dog I bred and later rescued back. Better I did it than the pound. Just because YOUR dog is not deaf, and it was from normally marked parents, and IS allowed in the standard, does not necessarily benchmark everything else for those in the Boxer breed.

Wow. I'm not sure you've read anything I've said. Bowing out now.

I have no issue of breeders putting to sleep their white boxers, if they feel they need to do this. As long as it is done humanely and for the right reasons. At the end of the day, they have to live with those decisions.

Sorry but i do have an issue with breeders putting to sleep their white Boxers. It has already been said that those white puppies do not even have to be born if breeders think carefully and consider colour genetics in Boxers before they breed them. To my mind it is unethical to breed puppies knowing that you will get whites only to then PTS them.

That doesn't mean to say that i think all breeders who choose to PTS puppies are wrong or unethical. Everyone has their reason's for PTS and every circumstance is different but knowingly breed something because it is desirable in the show ring and so what if you have to PTS some that are white. That just does not sit right with me. At all.

Sorry but i do have an issue with breeders putting to sleep their white Boxers. It has already been said that those white puppies do not even have to be born if breeders think carefully and consider colour genetics in Boxers before they breed them. To my mind it is unethical to breed puppies knowing that you will get whites only to then PTS them.

That doesn't mean to say that i think all breeders who choose to PTS puppies are wrong or unethical. Everyone has their reason's for PTS and every circumstance is different but knowingly breed something because it is desirable in the show ring and so what if you have to PTS some that are white. That just does not sit right with me. At all.

Totally agree. If you can avoid breeding pups that may have huge issues and need to be PTS, then simple....don't breed that combination?!