Anyone Heard Of This?

I will be getting a baby puppy at 8 weeks next month and thought I would call my vet regarding her vaccination regime. I was advised that as long as the pup has been vaccinated by 6 to 8 weeks old, then at 10 weeks he can be given a vaccination which covers both the 10 week and the 16 week vaccination. She claims the surgery has been using this protocol for 2 years with no ill effects. Anyone heard of this?

Here, we only give the two, one at 6 weeks and one at 10 weeks and no more after that. It's Protech they use. We have Titre tested at various times and ages after only giving the two puppy vaccs and they are fine.

I was advised that as long as the pup has been vaccinated by 6 to 8 weeks old, then at 10 weeks he can be given a vaccination which covers both the 10 week and the 16 week vaccination. She claims the surgery has been using this protocol for 2 years with no ill effects. Anyone heard of this?

If the pup was vaccinated at 8 weeks of age, wouldn't giving another 2 weeks later be a bit too much on top of each other?

Yes, my pup was vaccinated while still with the breeder (7 weeks) and then at 12 weeks.

I just went back for the 12 month vaccination and shared my concerns as my dog was quite sick after his last vaccination. My vet said they are currently changing the protocols at their surgery as studies now indicate that for most dogs puppy vaccinations are enough to last for years. My vet believes that puppy vaccinations are important but after that, by and large, we are over-vaccinating.

We didn't do the 12 month vac, just a kennel cough one as he is being kennelled next week.

My vet said they are currently changing the protocols at their surgery as studies now indicate that for most dogs puppy vaccinations are enough to last for years. My vet believes that puppy vaccinations are important but after that, by and large, we are over-vaccinating.

My boy's second and last vaccination was when he was about 12 or 13 weeks. I had him titred a few weeks ago and the titre results have come in as being very good. My boy is rising 4 years old.

I like your Vet :thumbsup: .

My vet said they are currently changing the protocols at their surgery as studies now indicate that for most dogs puppy vaccinations are enough to last for years. My vet believes that puppy vaccinations are important but after that, by and large, we are over-vaccinating.

My boy's second and last vaccination was when he was about 12 or 13 weeks. I had him titred a few weeks ago and the titre results have come in as being very good. My boy is rising 4 years old.

I like your Vet :thumbsup: .

I like my vet too Erny, he's excellent. :D It's good news that your dog's titre results are very good.

Thanks for all your replies. It's heartening to know that vaccination protocols are changing, and I don't like over vaccinating, so I will certainly ask my vet regarding titre testing for the 15 month shot. I have my 3 year old boy titre tested and he has not been done beyond the 15 month shot. My old boy, who is no longer with us had a very very bad reaction to his 16 week shot and we almost lost him. I know that it is an individual thing from dog to dog, but I am trying to be cautious and not have my dogs go through something like that again.

It would depend on what is in your area.

And that is the correct approach to vaccinating dogs.

However, we have parvo soup where we live and many other places do too.

It would need to be pretty solid evidence to move from a triple vac. to a double in high risk areas.

There's one way to find out though, should you want to take the "risk".

BTW. I am against over-medicating dogs and very pro-dog.

Px

Edited by Tralee

If unsure, Titre test 2 weeks after the 10 week vacc to see if the puppy is covered, why do 3 when 2 will cover them, beats me, no point over vaccinating when they don't need it no matter how high risk the area is if the dog is covered it's covered

If unsure, Titre test 2 weeks after the 10 week vacc to see if the puppy is covered, why do 3 when 2 will cover them, beats me, no point over vaccinating when they don't need it no matter how high risk the area is if the dog is covered it's covered

Hear hear.

The vet we currently goto are of opinion that about every 2 years for vacs is fine. When we got the puppy we took her to a differant vet for reasons to long to explain and was late with the last needle and they wouldnt give it to her unless we started all over again. Always had the feeling we were railroaded into that needle and it wasnt neccessary. Have never been back and have since returned to the orignal vet.

Sorry to hijack the thread but was is Titre test? For dogs shows they must be vacinated, would showing the results of this test be enough to prove they are covered?

Guest lavendergirl

Sorry to hijack also but does anyone know the difference between a C5 and a C6 vaccination? Vet is recommending a C6 but would this be necessary for a domestic dog?

If you are in Lepto country then that could be the reason for the recommendation, there have been quite a few Lepto cases around due to the wet weather.

C6 is C5 with Lepto as well.

Edited by Crisovar