Dogs Kill Snake In Backyard

:cry: Poor Snakey, lucky dogs!

Hope my fuzzy little mongrels never find one in our back yard. :laugh: We have a swamp type river over our back fence too and I am always scared of snakes coming into the yard, we have had one outside the fence when the units next door were being built, but apart from that haven't seen one in 8 years!

Your videos are great!

Sorry it's off topic but I have a question for snake catcher seeing as he seems the snake expert in here....

Is it true that an animal that is bitten and killed by a brown snake would decompose faster than a normal death?? This was something I heard...supposedly the venom in the animals system breaks the body down faster.

Omg, that's just how my poor import, Skip died..snake took a short cut through his backyard...:(. They both killed eachother sadly.

That is sad Missymoo, RIP Skip. :(

I always enjoy the videos you post Snakecatcher.

It's a good reminder to me to do a bit of a backyard tidy-up. We live close to a lake and bush reserve that is well-populated by tiger snakes (I've seen quite a few while walking the dog there).

In other countries, some of the venomous snakes, vipers in particular, have necrotic venom.

This means the venoms has flesh eatiing properties and in theory would cause a small bodied animal to decompose a bit quicker I suppose.

Australian snakes do not use venom for digestion of prey so the answer to your question about the eastern brown snake is ,

"not likely".

But if a large snake envenomated a small animal, maybe the process might be sped up..

Hope that helps

In other countries, some of the venomous snakes, vipers in particular, have necrotic venom.

This means the venoms has flesh eatiing properties and in theory would cause a small bodied animal to decompose a bit quicker I suppose.

Australian snakes do not use venom for digestion of prey so the answer to your question about the eastern brown snake is ,

"not likely".

But if a large snake envenomated a small animal, maybe the process might be sped up..

Hope that helps

But it's possible that a snake bite could cause the flesh to die off even when the animal does not die from the bite?

I currently am dealing with a cat here who was bitten whilst in the cat house and she recovered quickly being given antivenom treatment but several days later her fur began to fall out and the skin to become unhealthy. (Sorry i don't want to distress people)

This is what her coat and skin looked like on Saturday. I won't post any recent pics as it could be distressing to some. I will say that other than the colour of her skin the fur loss has (fingers crossed) slowed down.

post-15010-0-30145100-1333442870_thumb.jpg

Edited by perrin

The red bellied black snakes venom has been known to be necrotic but

red bellies have never been a cause of fatalaties in humans.

I imagine the toxicity and load of each snake would vary as well so you would not want to generalise.

A lot of times a bite will ulcerate and get infected, causing hairloss and skin problems, but this is just the reaction to the venom.

Exotic viperid venom is a different kettle of fish altogether..

• 2 weeks later...

The only good snake is a dead one IMHO

I'm afraid I agree. Sorry Snake catcher.

I'm really surprised they are being found in the Franga and Seaford area.

I really worry about them coming into my yard, although I have 2 guinea pigs who can't escape so I doubt a snake can get in.