Crate Questions?

voloclydes

well i had to go and clean this arvo so took him with me and left every one else in the lock up...

so he found the big white spotty dog worth barking at... he's been with me to clean at this lodge before, but never at this time of day... and it was his danged reflection.... :rofl: :rofl: well i do aim to entertain.

he will be at mr clydes house tomorrow and then it will be a public holiday... thank god.

My opinion :)

I wouldn't leave a dog in a crate for longer then 3-4 hours during the day!

If you are worried about your dog getting out, then build a run/pen.

Dogs probably do sleep most of the day but they need water, wee, poop, stretch, etc.. every few hours.

ETA - Spudd sleeps in his crate at night with the door open so if he needs to he can get out and have a drink.

Edited by Spudd

so did you read my first post....

the dog dug threw a wooden door thus enabling him to escape... it was a one day thing... i will fix my house yard this weekend... as in day after tomorrow...yard was dog proof untill the day i posted...

but at least this time he wasn't sent home with lead in his butt! i don't normally allow my dog to wander ever.... ever ever...

given my country upbringing my thought on how repeating strays should be dealt with is not fit for public forum. nor would i blame my neighbour for doing same..

My 'rule' with crates is that dogs should not be crated for more than 12 hours at a time.

My dogs are crated for night (9:30pm-5:30am or later) - so 8+ hours, everyday.

Depending on circumstances and what I'm doing that particular day, they may be also crated for 8 hours while I'm at work, too. Normally I work from home, but sometimes it doesn't happen. Sometimes I have rescue dogs on the premises and for some reason cannot run everyone at once (conflicting temperament, kennel cough), in which case they need to be 'rotated' between yards and their crates.

As the original poster seems to be talking about a temporary solution, I would have no qualms with the dog being crated for a week or two until the fencing situation is rectified.

Indeed, I'd have no qualms with the dog being crated while the owners are at work on an ongoing basis, assuming the dog has sufficient exercise morning and/or night.

it was my last ditch solution so i could manage this week.... i start work at 5am so get up around 4... today like last week... i got home at around 4.30...but i did flit home between jobs for an hour and took dog with.... which i love taking my dog with... and he loves coming.

yesterday i was home by 11am... when your a casual cleaner working for a multi national corp they like to make your life hard... by changing shifts... 4 weeks ago i was only working 5 hours and it was middle day... so dog could have a life too.

hope fully i can fit the recyled door to the garden shed, which will take major mods so not a weekday arvo job... i might take a pic of the old one... which is a write off.

i think we have all had yard dramas from time to time....i think my lots spend all day sleeping and thinking of things to do me to make life a pia.

My 'rule' with crates is that dogs should not be crated for more than 12 hours at a time.

Depending on circumstances and what I'm doing that particular day, they may be also crated for 8 hours while I'm at work, too. Normally I work from home, but sometimes it doesn't happen. Sometimes I have rescue dogs on the premises and for some reason cannot run everyone at once (conflicting temperament, kennel cough), in which case they need to be 'rotated' between yards and their crates.

As the original poster seems to be talking about a temporary solution, I would have no qualms with the dog being crated for a week or two until the fencing situation is rectified.

Indeed, I'd have no qualms with the dog being crated while the owners are at work on an ongoing basis, assuming the dog has sufficient exercise morning and/or night.

So your dogs could be in a crate for 16 hours (8 overnight and 8 while you're at work) in one day? That just seems nuts to me, I'm not trying to be rude but I just don't think that can be enjoyable for a dog?

Edited by Aussie3

They could be crated for 16 hours some day, but it happens less than once a fortnight (far less). One dog loves the crate and it's a battle to get him to come out for any reason. :laugh: The other two would probably prefer to be out, but I much prefer the security of them crated inside so tough for them.

:dropjaw: guess that is ok if they have broke a leg or something. People have such varying opinions on what is ok.

To be honest if a puppy buyer asks me questions about how long they can crate a pup & crating in a small space for toilet training they do not get a puppy from me.

To the original question posted I guess it boils down to what you personally feel comfortable about doing & it sounds like crating for long isn't your thing.

Tomorrow is Friday and garden shed will. Be getting it make over.

When Ieft this am Leo was tucked up on the. Couch, barely opened an eye at 4.30. He is at mr Clyde's house today and home to night.

I thought crating for one half day fine, givese something to work with. Next time there is a drama.

So your dogs could be in a crate for 16 hours (8 overnight and 8 while you're at work) in one day? That just seems nuts to me, I'm not trying to be rude but I just don't think that can be enjoyable for a dog?

I agree with you Aussie3. I think to crate a dog for that amount of time is way too long. 2 thirds of the dogs day is spent crated :( 12 hours IMHO is also way too long. :(

having dogs in crates during the day as well as at night .(when not showing/travelling).I just can't understand it, sorry.

:whiteflag:.. and folks find having a dog chained is an unwanted way of containment :(

Our chained dogs can run,while they are barking at birds or the pet goat who teases them, and dig holes, and pick where they want to be ..in a kennel, (or on top of it), or in a sandy hole..in the shade of their tree, or sunbathing .Ones who look for it have a water container in which they can sit/play ..others have balls on ropes etc to carry around .

OT, but I;m with you pers. Maybe if you have a short term emergency situation like the OP, but what on earth happened to a dog being a dog, sniffing, getting some sun, playing in their yard? I shudder for the sterile life some dogs live.

OT, but I;m with you pers. Maybe if you have a short term emergency situation like the OP, but what on earth happened to a dog being a dog, sniffing, getting some sun, playing in their yard? I shudder for the sterile life some dogs live.

Same :( Couldn't agree more & I think it is really sad, totally unnatural & unhealthy.