Treat Bags For Training

I use cargo shorts/pants - right pocket for treats, left pocket for poo bags. I'd like to say I had thought it through re. visual cues etc. but honestly I just find treat bags bounce around too much when I'm running :o I found some good shorts with the buttons on either side of the pocket rather than in the middle so I can grab treats without opening the pocket; I bought 4 pairs :thumbsup: I tip the crumbs out on the floor for the dogs to hoover up when I'm done, and just turn the pocket inside out & spray a bit of preen before I put in the washing machine. Comes out perfectly clean.

I also have a 'Cesar Milan' branded Doog belt for the occasions when I'm wearing jeans. Works OK but I prefer pockets.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the people who use pockets are all from a obedience trialling background - so we don't want the extra visual cue of a bumbag. I know its a trap newbies fall into as their dogs learn very quickly bumbag means treats no bumbag means.......

... treats from elsewhere!

I guess the people who use pockets are all from a obedience trialling background - so we don't want the extra visual cue of a bumbag. I know its a trap newbies fall into as their dogs learn very quickly bumbag means treats no bumbag means.......

Yup I got rid of mine quick smart when my guys stopped working the same when I didn't have a visible treat bag on me, I use pockets now :D

I use a treat pouch (always placed at my back). I also have a training vest, put treats in my pockets, have treats placed remotely, sometimes the reward is visible etc. IMO there is no problem with using a treat pouch as long as your dog doesn't see it as a cue and becomes dependent on it. There are plenty of things other than a treat bag (even more subtle) that dogs can and do cue off. I learnt that the hard way :laugh:

What Huski said - they can generally smell that you have food treats on you. So sure, doing without a treat pouch might lull you into a false sense of having out-smarted your dog as far as visual cue is concerned, but not scent. People who get stuck with the food treat pouch becoming a cue are simply not randomising things enough.

However, for early day training and/or for novice handlers, a good food treat pouch helps with delivery timing which in turns helps with teaching.

However, for early day training and/or for novice handlers, a good food treat pouch helps with delivery timing which in turns helps with teaching.

A pocket with treats in the left pocket delivers the treat at the precise moment just as well, if not better, than a good food treat pouch. Less fumbling :shrug:

Another here who has abandoned treat pouches for training in favour of pockets, for the same reasons as Ptolomy, bedazzledx2 and kallistar. But I'm a bit of a wuss - I use zippy plastic snack bags - easy to leave the zippy bit open so you can get treats quickly. And easy to leave them around the ring for distraction training or jackpots (but do the tops up first :laugh:) . I do have a large Blackdog one that I use for going out for a walk - holds treats poo bags, phone, keys etc.

I have gone from using pockets to using a treat bag :laugh: I always forget the food in my pocket and I don't know how many jeans I have had with the pockets eaten. I blame Tilly usually :rofl:

My problem, too :cry: Have hit myself on the head several times with the rolled up newspaper....."Don't leave clothes which have had treats in the pockets anywhere where various dogs can reach them" :mad I've had holes chewed in two lovely Katmandu jackets and a couple of pairs of jeans....which is why I've reverted to treat pouches :laugh:

A pocket with treats in the left pocket delivers the treat at the precise moment just as well, if not better, than a good food treat pouch. Less fumbling :shrug:

Not IME. Assuming you are wearing clothes with pockets that are easy to slide your hands into and out of. Not always the case.

I use a Blackdog treat bag. When I first started training I used a Drizabone but found the pocket to sit to tightly against my waist and I couldn't get a treat out in time. I attempted using pockets for everything but having quite a slim waist I had trouble keeping my pants up :p. Who would of thought, phone, keys, treats, poo bags and occassionally a wallet could weigh so much. I find the Blackdog does the job for me, the springs allow me to keep the bag open for easy and fast treat access and they close in a second when I do a faster pace (I tend to walk a bit fast so my fast pace can quite often be a slow jog and a slow jog with a slightly lose fitting pouch can lead to treats all in the grass :p).

• 5 months later...