Vets And Euthanasia

Percynality

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Percy can i suggest you seek professional medical help yourself in the form of a psychiatric/counselling assessment.

Your post read of an inability to think rationally and someone who is suffering from grief/depression because of your loss.

This is not about vets, thats just an outlet your brain has formed to let you vent or blame someone for something that happened.

You are not reading what others have wrote and putting things into perception. You have had sound, knowledgable advice and are showing nil insight into what has actually happened.

I am sorry for your loss, i have gone through something quite similar myself and whilst it was horrible i did not tar all vets with the same brush nor did i refuse my other dogs vet care and treatment when required. I simply changed vets.

As a side as a health professional i can assure you we cannot cry or show emotion at every patient we lose because we need to kept functioning, if we did we wouldnt be in the job we are. I dont want my vet to fall apart when my animals are sick/dying, i want them to think clearly and do their job. Just like i do at work.

*sigh*

My new child is smarter, happier and more fulfilled than the average pet because he is given every opportunity to be human. He is also completely calm and not anxious because he has been brought up so well.

Cookie ( have I the right name?) is not a human child, he is a little ADULT dog, and, luckily, dog owners can attest to the brilliance of their dog in a proud manner ...however giving him every opportunity to be human....well, that does read a little strange , sorry.

I am pleased you are willing to search for a vet clinic who may be able to help, and wish you well in teh search :)

My dog is asleep on 'his' couch..later he will have his jamies on,put his head on his pillow, snuggle up with his toy cat and get covered by a blanket . He is a DOG though ..and what I do is to keep him comfortable,and settled during the night - not because I believe him to be human ..

Thanks Erny. It does seem that a lot of the time, in real life and on DOL all you hear about vets and the veterinary profession is complaints.

Flick_Mac keep our chin up I have worked with some amazing vets over the last 7 years and it amazes me how clients think that vets are miracle workers. Sometimes vet & nurses do perform miracles and other times God gets the upper hand on us.

Keep working towards your dream of becoming a vet you will meet so many wonderful pets and their caring owners, you will also meet some that you would rather forget. :laugh:

Reading this thread I cant help but think ...Troll...surely?????

Thank god I was scared to say it first it does smell like troll in here.

Not many trolls would bother to sign up for a forum a year before starting a thread and state in their introduction thread when they first joined that they are between dogs after one died.

But the account could be hacked you never know

Interestingly I had to have a dog put down two days ago.

He lived 3 years longer than we first thought because of sound veterinary care and he went peacefully after an IV injection of lethabarb. We did know that due to his heart and circulation being poor he may gasp but this would be AFTER he lost conciousness.

We loved him for his nearly 15 years and we were very sad we had to make the decision but he went peacefully.

I have in nearly 15 years of working in vet hospitals have seen very nearly all of the animals euthed go peacefully. Occassionally some fight it, or fight being held - once I saw a reaction that wasn't nice. But that was it.

It is about your inability to cope, your inability to see reason and your inability to see your dog is a dog.

I love my dogs, they are fed the best, they are spoilt but they are dogs. They are most certainly are not an inconvienience and are not stupid and I do not treat them badly because I treat them as dogs, for you to insinuate they are is down right rude and ill informed.

Do yourself a favour and see a shrink because you bloody well need one.

OK people - iMO its time to stop feeding it. I doubt anything anyone says from here on in will make one iota of difference.

OP - time to get help before its too late - you need it.

' Nite all.

Edited by westiemum

I'm sorry to hear about your boy OSoSwift. May he run free and :hug: to you.

Poochie fought and struggled when she was PTS and she was so dehydrated my vet couldn't find a vein -- he ended up missing and she started bleeding and struggling more.

Eventually he sedated her and she died peacefully in my arms. I was beyond distraught once she'd gone but not once did I think the vet did a poor job. I like to think that Poochie struggled because she was a battler and was giving her all in her final moments. That's who she was as a dog and never did things the easy way.

I love how my vet handled her: he offered to keep her on ice until the family could decide what we wanted to do with her and he even gave me a hug. Poochie was a favourite patient of his and because of her, he's looking to get an Aussie Terrier of his own -- he fell in love with the breed.

The clinic even posted me a sympathy card with all the staffs' names (each written by every individual vet and nurse).

Even though seeing Poochie struggle and bleed like that I'm not angry with the vet. She was 16 nearly 17 and had kidney failure. I was informed about my options and was given time to discuss them -- I was at the clinic for over 2 hours.

I'm sorry you had such a horrible experience with Percy, but please don't let your new rescue suffer because of one experience. Animals need vets as much as we humans need doctors.

Greytmate,

I'm not entirely comfortable with being threatened with legal obligations. That Vet apparently has no legal obligations...

Sorry for your loss, I do hope you advised the vet ( either in writing or at the time) of your non happiness with the treatment.

I hope you never have a sick animal again ( now that would be nice for all of us) but in this day and age we are obligated by morals and even laws that is an animal is suffering or in distress it must recive adequate veterinary care, I am sure you will find a vet in your area that if needed can be attended.

Everyone has legal obligations, whether you are a Dog owner, cat owner rubbish truck driver, school teacher, prisoner, thats just human life I am afraid.

Anyhow good luck with your new dog.

oops sorry didnt see it was a joke type thread or a person with a problem, anyhow we still all have legal obligations ( I am sure someone will help you very soon lol)

Edited by Wazzat Xolo

The needle may sting as it goes in, if it they miss the vein (however in Percy's case there was already a line in so wouldn't have had a needle and couldnt have gone outside the vein) but I can tell you 100% that I have never seen an animal scream once the lethabarb is being injected.

If it were possible they may feel something as it passes through their veins, it's only for a matter of seconds before they are unconscious and personally I still feel this is much more humane than otherwise allowing them to die on their own, which may be a long, painful passing.

I agree

Having been with a number of animals when they were euthed for either illness or old age, not one of them struggled or screamed in pain or distress.

They were in my arms, comfy and being cuddled and did not react, whether they had a line in or the needle was given directly into a vein.

I am very sorry for your loss but please dont ignore your new dogs health needs because you had this experience

Guest donatella

I think we need to save our breath... nothing is going to make vets good people in the OP's eyes and apart from feeling incredibly sad for the OPs dog and any future animals they own I think any further advice is pointless.

Makes me wonder why i'm becoming a vet sometimes.

For every 1 person that hates you, you'll have 10 that speaks volumes about what you do. Happens in every profession, lawyers, doctors, hairdressers, nurses, teachers, there's always going to be that 1 person to condem the entire industry and have a whinge :)

Guest lavendergirl

It is nearly a year to the day we asked our vet to euthanize our beloved Percy who was only over a year old and we don't know what was wrong. The handling of our child's illness and the final injection has left us scarred and concerned for our new child, also a 1 year old Maltese.

Percy was suddenly ill at the start of Good Friday 2011, and we took him to the nearest available vet a few suburbs away considering the long weekend is the time that everything is closed. Over 3 days the vet basically did nothing but put him on a drip. I now think the vet simply was covering for the long weekend and didn't care much at all. What I would like to discuss is how uncaring vets are.

Firstly, we should never have left Percy overnight. The back of a clinic has no comfort, nothing is familiar in fact it's downright creepy and a highly bonded pet like a Maltese is going to be in such distress that overnight stays cannot possibly be good.

Secondly, we asked for euthanasia because Percy was not even drinking, did not really recognise us and we did not know what to do. But we attended the injection and were horrified – we held him while the vet flushed the drip and then our child screamed in terror with the green injection. I can never remove from my mind the honest truth that our Percy's last moment was terror. The vet didn't even seem to notice. In my view, Percy knew what the injection was for and I feel I did not give him the most compassionate treatment even though I had intended a calm gentle passing away.

I can't overstate that I am sickened about the veterinary profession. Our new adopted child will never go to a vet. Far better to pass away in my arms than days of distress with strangers.

We have moved on without erasing Percy from memory, and our new one is all that Percy was and more. I have much more to say if anyone is willing to discuss their experiences.

Kind regards, especially to those who have loved and lost.

P

I am truly sorry that you had such a horrific experience with your much loved pet. Myself I have had to make the extremely hard decision you found yourself in a couple of times and the making of the decision is bad enough. However, I have found all the vets that have performed the procedure to be comforting, understanding and very professional.

Despite this, I too am disallusioned with some in the vet profession. Some seem more about money than empathy towards animals. We had one vet who was cold to the animals, and barely touched them, or calmed them, in fact barely noticed thier prescence. My sister worked for her as a Vet Nurse, and one night we had an emergency with my sisters dog . He had ingested human medication, and was basically unconcious by the time we got to the clinic. The vet was there on her own, as it was after hours at this stage, and began to tell us about how the dog might die, and what dire straits he was in. We were frantic, and crying inconsolobly (???spellling) - she told us she could give him some medications and put him on a drip and keep him in overnight. We told her whatever was needed, the dog was insured, and we would of spent almost anything to save him. We kept waiting for her to do something as he lay lifeless on the table, and she casually said that our credit card would need to be put through for a deposit of $500 before she could start work. She left the dog unattended on the table, and even made comments about insurance companies and joked with us, went to another room, turned the eftpos machine on (which took several minutes) then ran the credit card through. My mum made a mistake with the pin, so it had to go through twice, all the while we were hoping he would be ok. As soon as she got the reciept that said 'approved' she ran out the back and began treating our dog. It was disgusting. We were regular customers of hers, my sister was employed by her, so it wasn't like we would skip out on the bill or anything, and it still took a good ten minutes before she would treat her employee's dog.

He survived, thankfully, and my sister continued to work there for a couple of months, but after witnessing so many instances were the vet was cold, unhelpful, and uncaring, and in some cases let dogs die in difficult, and painful circumstances, and charging people thousands of dollars when she knew the animal had no chance and the operation would in fact kill them, and subjecting abandoned animals to 'practice surgeries' my sister left. We have never taken an animal there again, and never will, and would suggest no one else did either.

In saying that it makes it sound as though I am against vets in general, but I am not. We have since found a lovely vet, who is caring and kind, and is in fact cheaper than the one mentioned previously, and I feel actually CARES.

Of all the stories in this thread this is the one that really disgusts me. Are you able to report this vet to the AVA at all? I don't know what procedures are in place to report negligent and incompetent vets but there must be some protocol to do so.

To the OP I suspect this is a wind up also but if not I can only say go ahead and treat your dog like a child if you want - many people do and god knows worse things can and are happening to dogs everywhere. Many vets are absolute stinkers but I am sure when the time comes and your child needs medical care you will do the right thing. :)

Percynality, most of the people that post here are pet owners, and do not breed dogs or work in the veterinary industry. The fact that dogs are happier and healthier when treated differently to how one would treat a child is very well known to anyone that has studied dog behaviour or who has a lot of experience with dogs.

Your entire experience seems to be based on two dogs you have owned for less than two years, and a handful of vet visits. What value do you think we will get from you sharing your opinions on dog behaviour and the entire veterinary industry? There are people here that have had experience working with hundreds of dogs, who have spent years researching and reading about dog behaviour and welfare. People who love their pets like family and associate with other pet lovers. And they all have disagreed with you. Doesn't that make you think that possibly your theory about dogs being like children might be wrong?

A dog that is treated like a child is more likely to display anxious or aggressive behaviour, and will have its owners trained to do what it wants. Which means that if ever you need to do something that the dog doesn't want, like hold it still during a veterinary procedure, the dog will struggle and scream. Not in pain, just in protest.

I'm glad for your dog's sake you have decided to find a vet. There should be some that cater well to the type of person that does treat their dog like a child. If you let us know where you live people can recommend the best equipped vet hospitals in your area.

Greytmate...

Your mentioned above comments concerning Percynality and his/hers situation, I find rather disgusting, MAYBE YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND THE MEANING OF LOVE!.

Here is an individual that obviously loved their pet very deeply, but unfortunate circumstances led to that situation. I have 2 small dogs, I treat them like my children as well. I've been observing other comments in this thread. Percynality is correct; 'Pets are the new children'. People like you, don't want to hear this, and I know the reason why!

I know for fact, The Vet Industry are full of callus individuals, just like the Nurses in hospitals that give better treatment to some but not to all.

Maybe you should take a good look at yourself and grow up.

Some great points have been raised in this thread.

:thumbsup: Greytmate, pav, snook and a few others (sorry can't remember all now).

I have been there with all of my dogs who have had to be put to sleep and honestly, I could not tell you how the vets have reacted at the time prior to putting the needle in, putting the needle in or afterwards, all my focus is on the dog.

I am pregnant and had to see the ob for the first time last week, The first thing he said when I walked in was - so are you feeling fat? and then 4 times during the 15minute visit he mentioned how 'old' I was and that I really needed to be seeing him more often (I am 35 so only boarder line old). Has this turned me off drs altogether? No this one is obviously just a d!ck, will I see him again by choice? No, I will go back to seeing my regular dr who I am comfortable with.

I hope you find a vet you can trust and be comfortable with.

Greytmate...

Your mentioned above comments concerning Percynality and his/hers situation, I find rather disgusting, MAYBE YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND THE MEANING OF LOVE!.

Here is an individual that obviously loved their pet very deeply, but unfortunate circumstances led to that situation. I have 2 small dogs, I treat them like my children as well. I've been observing other comments in this thread. Percynality is correct; 'Pets are the new children'. People like you, don't want to hear this, and I know the reason why!

I know for fact, The Vet Industry are full of callus individuals, just like the Nurses in hospitals that give better treatment to some but not to all.

Percynality, is that you?

Anyway, I agree with Greytmate and what others in this thread have said. I love my dogs and consider them family members but they are not my children. I strongly believe it's not only disrespectful to our dogs to treat them like people, but that it is extremely arrogant to assume they think and feel like we do. Dogs are their own wonderful creatures, they are not people.

Edited by huski

Greytmate...

Percynality, is that you?

Anyway, I agree with Greytmate and what others in this thread have said. I love my dogs and consider them family members but they are not my children. I strongly believe it's not only disrespectful to our dogs to treat them like people, but that it is extremely arrogant to assume they think and feel like we do. Dogs are their own wonderful creatures, they are not people.

Yer I think it is percynality