Vets And Euthanasia

Percynality

it is always hard when we lose a pet no matter the path of their departure.

When our older male border collie was really not well we made the decision to take him to the 24 hour emergency vet near our home. They could not have been more considerate and compassionate, and when we made the difficult decision to put him down that evening all the staff there were so lovely. We recently had to take our little boy to a vet after hours and we immediately thought to go back to that emergency vet because we knew they would do everything they could to help. Our little one hates vets and is normally very unsettled when taken to one but he came out being smooched by the staff there after he had been treated and they came out repeatedly to tell us what was wrong, how he was being treated, and that he would be okay.

OP I'm sorry you are still bitter about the care your pet was given, but it's time to move on. If you are unhappy with the level of care then go elsewhere next time and make different choices, but in all reality watching your dog slowly die at home without treatment would probably have been much worse than giving him his wings at a vet.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this thread isn't a wind up it is one of the most disturbing threads I have read.

Dogs are such amazing and intelligent animals and it is because of their wonderful uniqueness that they have become such beloved animal companions to us humans. To try and make them anything else really does disrespect the animal itself.

Greytmate...

Your mentioned above comments concerning Percynality and his/hers situation, I find rather disgusting, MAYBE YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND THE MEANING OF LOVE!.

Here is an individual that obviously loved their pet very deeply, but unfortunate circumstances led to that situation. I have 2 small dogs, I treat them like my children as well. I've been observing other comments in this thread. Percynality is correct; 'Pets are the new children'. People like you, don't want to hear this, and I know the reason why!

I know for fact, The Vet Industry are full of callus individuals, just like the Nurses in hospitals that give better treatment to some but not to all.

Maybe you should take a good look at yourself and grow up.

Percynality, is that you?

Anyway, I agree with Greytmate and what others in this thread have said. I love my dogs and consider them family members but they are not my children. I strongly believe it's not only disrespectful to our dogs to treat them like people, but that it is extremely arrogant to assume they think and feel like we do. Dogs are their own wonderful creatures, they are not people.

huski...

There is no need for remarks like that, all I am doing is agreeing with Percynality opinion, I feel sorry for that person.

And my 2, 6-8 yr old Pomeranian and Pug are my children, and there is nothing you can say or do to stop me from thinking that. They are very charming and beautiful to have around.

Funny thing is, I get more respect from them, than I get from many humans. Including people like you!

I see this thread is exciting debate about vets and the psychological welfare of pets. The Vet Industry must be subjected to more scrutiny, for the sake of all pets and animals.

This thread is getting strange percynality/dream structure people are trying to give you useful advice if you can't take it think twice before you post something on a public forum on the Internet. This isn't a yes forum or a forum of open sympathy the people here are sane and knowledgeable and will give you an opinion if you post - even if it is not the same as yours.

Percynality, most of the people that post here are pet owners, and do not breed dogs or work in the veterinary industry. The fact that dogs are happier and healthier when treated differently to how one would treat a child is very well known to anyone that has studied dog behaviour or who has a lot of experience with dogs.

Your entire experience seems to be based on two dogs you have owned for less than two years, and a handful of vet visits. What value do you think we will get from you sharing your opinions on dog behaviour and the entire veterinary industry? There are people here that have had experience working with hundreds of dogs, who have spent years researching and reading about dog behaviour and welfare. People who love their pets like family and associate with other pet lovers. And they all have disagreed with you. Doesn't that make you think that possibly your theory about dogs being like children might be wrong?

A dog that is treated like a child is more likely to display anxious or aggressive behaviour, and will have its owners trained to do what it wants. Which means that if ever you need to do something that the dog doesn't want, like hold it still during a veterinary procedure, the dog will struggle and scream. Not in pain, just in protest.

I'm glad for your dog's sake you have decided to find a vet. There should be some that cater well to the type of person that does treat their dog like a child. If you let us know where you live people can recommend the best equipped vet hospitals in your area.

Greytmate...

Your mentioned above comments concerning Percynality and his/hers situation, I find rather disgusting, MAYBE YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND THE MEANING OF LOVE!.

Here is an individual that obviously loved their pet very deeply, but unfortunate circumstances led to that situation. I have 2 small dogs, I treat them like my children as well. I've been observing other comments in this thread. Percynality is correct; 'Pets are the new children'. People like you, don't want to hear this, and I know the reason why!

I know for fact, The Vet Industry are full of callus individuals, just like the Nurses in hospitals that give better treatment to some but not to all.

:coffeesplurk:

Percynality, most of the people that post here are pet owners, and do not breed dogs or work in the veterinary industry. The fact that dogs are happier and healthier when treated differently to how one would treat a child is very well known to anyone that has studied dog behaviour or who has a lot of experience with dogs.

Your entire experience seems to be based on two dogs you have owned for less than two years, and a handful of vet visits. What value do you think we will get from you sharing your opinions on dog behaviour and the entire veterinary industry? There are people here that have had experience working with hundreds of dogs, who have spent years researching and reading about dog behaviour and welfare. People who love their pets like family and associate with other pet lovers. And they all have disagreed with you. Doesn't that make you think that possibly your theory about dogs being like children might be wrong?

A dog that is treated like a child is more likely to display anxious or aggressive behaviour, and will have its owners trained to do what it wants. Which means that if ever you need to do something that the dog doesn't want, like hold it still during a veterinary procedure, the dog will struggle and scream. Not in pain, just in protest.

I'm glad for your dog's sake you have decided to find a vet. There should be some that cater well to the type of person that does treat their dog like a child. If you let us know where you live people can recommend the best equipped vet hospitals in your area.

Greytmate...

:coffeesplurk:

I have 2 fur children, and they love me very much.

I must say, Noodles and Chucky get a hug every time they go to the vet, and leave happy. Good vets are hard to find.

P.S. hope there is fly in ya coffee.

Read the other end of the leash. Dogs hate being treated like people - being hugged etc is not a sign of affection to a dog. My dogs are part of my family, they are not substitute kids. They go for long walks, play, go to agility weekly and love it. I shudder for the Molly- coddled dogs who don't do these things. My dogs are healthy, active and cherished. I wouldn't want it any other way.

I don't agree with Percynality's point of views of either treating dogs as human beings or condemning vets. However I have great sympathy for what the OP is feeling. And unless anyone is 100% sure that this is trolling, it is cruel to make jokes in a thread which is so hurtful to someone else.

Pain isnt always rational.

I don't agree with Percynality's point of views of either treating dogs as human beings or condemning vets. However I have great sympathy for what the OP is feeling. And unless anyone is 100% sure that this is trolling, it is cruel to make jokes in a thread which is so hurtful to someone else.

I do agree with you. However the same should be said to the OP. Putting animals to sleep is one of the hardest part of my job and I admit to getting quite upset about it at times. So to call me and others in the industry who do this task uncaring, callous and also infer we're lying to our clients about the process, is pretty hurtful at the same time.

Goodness me what a thread :( I am very sorry for the OP's loss, but the most disturbing part is that the OP calls into question the vet's treatment of their poor dog and wants to "discuss how uncaring vets are", yet OP has their dog PTS without any attempt to fully investigate what is wrong with the poor dog either with the current vet or another vet at another veterinary practice. Seems pretty extreme to me to just PTS the poor dog, :cry: that should not have been the first option "because they did not know what to do" - sorry but that seems pretty "uncaring" to me. So much more should have been done for this poor baby and the OP has to take responsibility for that rather than blame it on the "uncaring vet" and laying the blame on the whole vet industry is just outrageous :mad

It is nearly a year to the day we asked our vet to euthanize our beloved Percy who was only over a year old and we don’t know what was wrong. The handling of our child’s illness and the final injection has left us scarred and concerned for our new child, also a 1 year old Maltese.

Percy was suddenly ill at the start of Good Friday 2011, and we took him to the nearest available vet a few suburbs away considering the long weekend is the time that everything is closed. Over 3 days the vet basically did nothing but put him on a drip. I now think the vet simply was covering for the long weekend and didn’t care much at all. What I would like to discuss is how uncaring vets are.

Firstly, we should never have left Percy overnight. The back of a clinic has no comfort, nothing is familiar in fact it’s downright creepy and a highly bonded pet like a Maltese is going to be in such distress that overnight stays cannot possibly be good.

Secondly, we asked for euthanasia because Percy was not even drinking, did not really recognise us and we did not know what to do. But we attended the injection and were horrified – we held him while the vet flushed the drip and then our child screamed in terror with the green injection. I can never remove from my mind the honest truth that our Percy’s last moment was terror. The vet didn’t even seem to notice. In my view, Percy knew what the injection was for and I feel I did not give him the most compassionate treatment even though I had intended a calm gentle passing away.

I can’t overstate that I am sickened about the veterinary profession. Our new adopted child will never go to a vet. Far better to pass away in my arms than days of distress with strangers.

We have moved on without erasing Percy from memory, and our new one is all that Percy was and more. I have much more to say if anyone is willing to discuss their experiences.

Kind regards, especially to those who have loved and lost.

P

Sure but to come in here and insult breeders, pet owners and people who work in the industry is what? Stormie works at the vet clinic I use. She and the other staff are incredibly compassionate people and I know for a fact that Stormie in particular is deeply affected by sick animals. That was just plain rude.

Edited by raz

Stormie I must say that I have tremendous respect for you and everyone else in the veterinary profession. I don't know how you cope with this. And I wish the OP will realize that when he/she can stop grieving. But grief often makes people want to hurt/blame others.

I have only had to sit through one dog being euthanized. He was a much loved dog. And the vets were incredibly calm and supportive.

Read the other end of the leash. Dogs hate being treated like people - being hugged etc is not a sign of affection to a dog.

Mine likes hugs, but only because he's used to them and loves the attention. If a stranger tried it it may not work out so well. It does go to show however that even if dogs don't instinctively like something, they'll learn to if it makes their people happy.

I too find the idea of calling a dog a child pretty whacko. Why is calling them a child somehow elevating their position in life? Aren't dogs special enough already? We have so much we could learn from them in terms of loyaly, humility, love and life, is attributing human characteristics actually a compliment?

Not if you ask me.

My dog is not a child, he is a dog and is everything that makes dogs so special. He's sweet and loving, loyal and brave, my mate and companion through thick and thin. Boyfriends have come and gone, life has had a lot of ups and downs he's always been there.

Also I've had great experiences with vets, most are warm caring people who will go the extra mile and then some. My parents had a dog react poorly to being PTS many years ago, but as awful as it was for us to watch, the alternative for him was much worse and it was shortlived.

Read the other end of the leash. Dogs hate being treated like people - being hugged etc is not a sign of affection to a dog. My dogs are part of my family, they are not substitute kids. They go for long walks, play, go to agility weekly and love it. I shudder for the Molly- coddled dogs who don't do these things. My dogs are healthy, active and cherished. I wouldn't want it any other way.

I dunno zorro loves cuddle and cuddles from other people, but he loves being a dog playing with his toys getting dirty, he is also loving his agility which he has just started :)

Cuddles are different to a hug, but I don't want to go OT. no dog loves to be physically restrained by their head. They might put up with it. As I said , read some of Patricia mcconnells stuff.

Sorry, I haven't read it all - got to about page 8 and that was all.

However, I found the statement

...... "My new child is smarter, happier and more fulfilled than the average pet because he is given every opportunity to be human. He is also completely calm and not anxious because he has been brought up so well"....

from the OP bizarre to say the least. Firstly - it was a rescue, so by definition it needed rescuing! Dont know the circumstances or age when he was rescued, but obviously some part of his upbringing wasn't good.

And I wont even go near the concept of wanting to turn animals into humans - think about what humans do, how they interact and everything else

Is it possible/probable that the dogs final moments were pain and confusion - Yes. Is that truly upsetting - Yes, but was it a dog - Yes, should it be treated as a child - No, unless you wish to remove everything that makes it a dog.

A dog is not a lower life form - nor is a cat, or a horse. But they are different - and thank gad for that :)

It's a good bet that Percynality and Dream Structure are the same person. The irrational thoughts and the volatile style are far too similar for it to be anyone else - and a new poster to a forum or thread does not shout in upper case in the first couple of posts, if ever.

And yes I feel for her/ his distress. But this again tells us this person really needs professional counseling and support - sadly they just don't get it and do not seem capable of listening to the centuries of wise advice and experience on here - and as thats not going to change anytime soon, we're now not helping by continuing this discussion IMO. So time to stop folks, and to turn our joint attention to the learners amongst us. Or we'll end up with brain injuries hitting our heads against brick walls. :banghead:

OP/ Dream Structure/ Percynality - please go and get professional help. The support you need is not available from a forum like this. I wish you well.

Edited by westiemum