Would You Feed Treats A Random Dog At The Dog Park?

I'm sure that she was probably well intentioned, but I'd never do this myself. I have a dog who must be on a very strict low fat diet and there are very few treats on the market that she can have without becoming ill. Some of our neighbours have kindly thrown sausages and chops over the fence for her when they have a BBQ resulting in her becoming sick and costing me hundreds of dollars in vet bills.

So no, it's never a good idea to feed a strange dog.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rarely, but not without asking first. I usually decline offers to give my boy some treats at the dog park as it can turn him into a major pest, but I make a big deal out of thanking them for asking and explain why -- not because I need to give an explanation but to subtly educate others within earshot.

I do the same thing when people, especially children, ask to pat my dog. The answer is almost always yes, but I make a big fuss. Positive reinforcement works for humans too!

I hate it when people try to feed my dog treats. Even if they ask first, because I always say no & then I get a glare, like I'm a horrible person!

(This is especially the case at every Pet shop I have frequented over the years.)

I think feeding treats to a dog other than yours is a bad idea for a few reasons.

1. Allergies & food restrictions.

2. Training requirements where an owner may be keeping the dog's feeding restricted.

3. Feeding a random dog in a park only teaches it to beg off strangers with treats.

I won't feed random dogs treats & I hope others won't do it to my dog.

I don't give treats to other people's dogs because I don't want them hanging around begging for more, and I don't want other people to give my dogs treats because I don't want them going up to others in the hope of getting treats.

I must say I found it hilarious when I was working on Ginger's recall. She soon worked out that yelling people in the park invariably have a bumbag full of treats. She'd sit neatly in front of them, looking angelic. "Hey, your dog won't come but I'm here". They yelled and yelled for their dog...

No-one ever fed her that I can recall - she was easily called away. It was interesting because she wasn't particularly food-motivated and was shy of strangers. But she was smart! I wouldn't have minded if they had fed her but I suppose that would have given her reinforcement for the wrong thing.

I know round the cafe, certain dogs try to muscle in on people's food and it's not pleasant to have a St Bernard (or whatever) drooling on you. Feed 'em and they become like seagulls. A very bad habit.

No - I wouldn't feed a strange dog in the park. Park etiquette is to ask if you're vaguely tempted by starving eyes.

I don't take treats to the park and I sometimes wish others wouldn't either. I have a very fluffy cute friendly dog who has perfected the "beg". What people don't realise is that she has a very long memory too and once she gets a treat she doesn't forget and will howl if she doesn't get anymore.

I do ask people not to give her treats and most people listen.

I did have a very scary incident when she choked because someone gave her a treat after she had been doing zoomies.