Small Animal Markets-bybs - Reg Breeders

pandypam

I wonder what the Dpt of Fair Trading would say about any responsibility to consumers that organisers of markets have....re actions of sellers & condition of 'products' (small animals in this case). There are consumer rights in relation to dealings with stores and companies. But what about markets?

Before the dept of fair trading get involved the person being complained about has to be an entity - if its just Joe Blow selling pups at a market it's sell em and run and even if you can find them again there is only civil courts that may give you a hearing but it is expensive and tedious.

Its difficult to understand why the focus is on internet sales and how we need a rego number to be able to advertise etc when these guys dont advertise and would fall through the cracks anyway.

The more I think about the more pathetic I think it is that a council would give it a tick or even that its still able to be done .

A fiernd was telling me about puppies at a market in Queensland as well that were sickly and puny and being sold in the dozens.

Its time those yelling about pet shops and puppy farmers got onto this first.

Steve, you posted while I was posting. I found the DFT page on market stall holders a bit confusing about when it's necessary to register with them....& also about what the holder is required to display by way of identification.

Only thing I could find about Market Organizers was an insurance company offering liability insurance.

We can't yell about all of them at the same time?

Yes we can - we have been yelling about pet shops and puppy farmers generically Australia wide.No reason why this couldnt be targeted just as effectively and at the least raise some awareness that they are pond scum and not to buy from them.

Steve, you posted while I was posting. I found the DFT page on market stall holders a bit confusing about when it's necessary to register with them....& also about what the holder is required to display by way of identification.

Only thing I could find about Market Organizers was an insurance company offering liability insurance.

Yes seems to be too easy doesn't it and it goes further than that anyway. Here we have market days once a month and last time there was a litter of staffies sold - everyone talking about how beautiful they were and trying to scrape up money to take them home. Scrawny puny things about 5 to 6 weeks old is my guess. No one locally had a clue who they were and all they needed was a $10 fee to have a table! Took em 2 hours to sell the litter and they drove out of town with no accountability and several thousand dollars richer. I sent my kids out to try to see what the rego number was of the car they were in but they were gone before we thought of it.

Mmmm, again in a perfect world (where pigs fly), I'd like to see an RSPCA inspector have a chat with a DFT inspector.....then have a combined chat with the small animals market organisers. Seems there could be consumer rights mixed in with possible welfare issues.

As far as I know markets come under the same code of practice as pet shops- pups/kittens only have to be MC-NO VAC!.

In the Grafton region we have had several outbreaks of parvo and these have been very severe so it will be a breeding ground there I would think.

We will be there with a MC scanner!, camera, posters etc though I am in QLD for the next 6 weeks.

We may be able to stop them under the code which says that domestic animals must be kept at a certain temp and the big shed they will be located in has no air con.

Again, please post a comment to the paper even if to say why you as a reg breeder wouldn't take your pups to a market to sell, it would put all the bybs back in their box.

• 3 months later...

The new Inverell livestock markets had a heap of pups in boxes turn up, I had to walk away...just couldn't bear it. and the local FB sell,swap & buy group is wall to wall byb :(

I try to educate where I can, but either hostile or deaf ears.

as someone said, it does feel like we are going backwards.

fifi

I'll probably get myself in trouble one day doing it, but I take all the phone number tags off these types of adverts.

Is a funny society we live in that some people seem to be able to justify it to themselves, by saying they love and spoil their dogs, but still byb breed them, even after disasters like caesarean & eclampsia.

I had an interesting FB coversation with my neighbour because I posted some ban BYB banners, and she breeds unregistered dogs (aka byb). Even though she was horrified when she was called a byb by a breeder/exhibitor at a local dog show (she was asking how much her pups were).

On my FB post she was like a dog with a bone complaining about registered breeders doing the wrong thing and being stuck up and rude (although she did try and right this by saying "not you of course").

I eventually said "There's good and bad in all breeding, and there are plenty of pups available at the RSPCA. IMO all breeders should be doing whatever medical testing (ie patella scoring, yearly eye testing and specific dna testing for their breed/s). Every breeder, including unregistered and cross-breed oodles... Plus breed to improve the breed. You're a registered horse breeder and do testing? One bad experience with a breeder, doesn't mean you can't find many helpful ones?"

parklea markets near me has been selling pups for years at at least 2 stalls, and one has very exotic pups, bostons, chi's, cresties, BB.

Its an aweful site to see them in cages being poked all weekend.

pfft i've seen the most disgusting things at parklea markets including a stall that promotes dog fighting the skum bag!

parklea markets near me has been selling pups for years at at least 2 stalls, and one has very exotic pups, bostons, chi's, cresties, BB.

Its an aweful site to see them in cages being poked all weekend.

pfft i've seen the most disgusting things at parklea markets including a stall that promotes dog fighting the skum bag!

What a nightmare, is there anybody you can report this to? Scum that promote dog fighting need to be exposed and prosecuted, they have no place in our society :mad

you can report them to the police - it is a serious criminal offence

he sells dog armour and I have seen idiots go in there saying how their dogs need protection because they fight them and he fits them for the armour (IMO this promotes dog fights) but how do you report it? just tell the cops to rock up and sus it out...