Pet Mince From The Supermarket

As per the title, I usually feed human grade mince and offal in my dogs raw diet, but found a brand of dog mince called Prota.

The ingredients are

Kangaroo Mince,

Beef or Lamb Kidneys

Vitamins and MInerals (although it does not say what quantity they are)

17% Protein

6% Fat

I was tempted to use it because while its the same price as human mince per kg, it has the kidneys chopped up and mixed in which as a vegetarian I did not enjoy doing!

Just wondering what level of preservative would be in it- it seems to have a long shelf life of a month refridgerated? And should I be concerned about the added vitamins and minerals?

Another brand is Paws fresh lean mince

ingredients

Lean beef or roo

protein 18%

fat 2.5%

Fibre < 1%

Salt < 1 %

Calcium 0.2%

Thiamine 1mg/kg

preservative 223

Edited by erinonthefarm

1 month you say? Waaaaay too many preservatives for me. Also, non-human grade meat doesn't get inspected to the same standard as human meat. That said, if you buy the off-cut mince from a buthcer, it has been inspected.

Just googled 223 and got a few hits along the line of this article

"Both processed/manufactured pet food and raw 'pet meat' products can contain preservatives. There may be no legal requirement to label pet food products as containing preservatives.

There are safety issues relating to sulphur dioxide and sodium and potassium sulphite preservatives - these can cause thiamine deficiency, which can be fatal.

Products specifically marketed for pets such as commercial fresh 'pet meat'; 'pet mince' or processed/manufactured 'pet food rolls' may contain sulphite or potassium sulphite preservatives (sulphur dioxide 220, sodium sulphite 221, sodium bisulphite 222, sodium metabisulphite 223, potassium metabisulphite 224, potassium sulphite 225 and potassium bisulphite 228) that liberate sulphur dioxide.

Thiamine (Vitamin B1) deficiency can occur when dogs and cats are fed on a diet containing sulphite preservatives. Thiamine deficiency causes severe neurological symptoms and can be fatal. For decades, sulphite preservative induced thiamine deficiency has been frequently recognised by the Australian Veterinary profession. (please note that thiamine deficiency can also occur when sulphur dioxide containing foods are fed in conjunction with foods not containing sulphur dioxide. This is because the sulphur dioxide in one food can destroy any thiamine present in the other food being fed at the same time).

<P style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 10px" class=textBlock>The Australian Standard for Manufactured Pet food contains clauses that address the sulphite issue by including a mandatory requirement that any product containing sulphur dioxide, sulphite or potassium sulphites must contain sufficient thiamine according to AAFCO guidelines, for the entire shelf-life of the product. This will help to prevent thiamine deficiency in relation to manufactured pet food. However, RSPCA Australia still has concerns about 'raw pet meat' products and any other product that does not fall under the scope of the Pet Food standard containing sulphite preservatives ,which we have raised and we await developments on this issue. The pet meat industry must ensure they take steps to safeguard pets from thiamine deficiency by including a mandatory requirement that any 'pet meat' product containing sulphur dioxide, sulphite or potassium sulphites must contain sufficient thiamine according to AAFCO guidelines, for the entire shelf-life of the product. This will be the requirement for any 'manufactured pet food' that complies with the Ausralian Standard and should be the requirement for any 'raw pet meat' products aswell.

Sodium benzoate (E211) is another preservative used in a range of pet food products and products for human consumption. Cats appear to have a significantly lower tolerance against benzoic acid compared to rats and mice. At certain doses this preservative may be toxic to cats.

Articles of interest

1. R. Malik & D Sibraa (2005) Thiamine deficiency due to sulphur dioxide preservative in ‘pet meat’– a case of deja vu Australian Veterinary Journal Volume 83 No 7
  2. Bedford PG, Clarke EG (1972). "Experimental benzoic acid poisoning in the cat:. Vet rec (90):53-58 "

I think I will stick to the human stuff for my dogs!

If it's in a cryovac pak it should be OK for a month in the fridge without preservatives, until it is opened, that is. I buy pet mince from Highland Meats, but it comes frozen, so no need for preservatives.

If I wouldnt eat it, why should I expect my dog to?

Ok, so I have to use some imagination when it comes to that theory, as I'm vegetarian lol but feed meat to my pup, but my theory is more of a a general "if a reasonable human wouldn't eat it, why should I expect my dog to".

If its not for human consumption - its not for dog consumption in my eyes.

Edit: this only applies to the bulk of her diet, not her "junk food" (ie: treats) just realised it made me sound like a complete weirdo lol

Edited by minimax

My dogs eat minced chicken offcuts and frames, and a pet mince made up by the butcher for me, we wouldn't eat the resulting product but it is perfectly fine for dogs. What about all the offal that dogs thrive on that people these days seem to find unpalatable, there are heaps of other examples out there, like fish heads, poultry necks, roo tails, pigs heads and seconds from the chicken plant.

Whilst there are crappy preservative laden pet meats available, there are also many excellent choices.

My dogs eat minced chicken offcuts and frames, and a pet mince made up by the butcher for me, we wouldn't eat the resulting product but it is perfectly fine for dogs. What about all the offal that dogs thrive on that people these days seem to find unpalatable, there are heaps of other examples out there, like fish heads, poultry necks, roo tails, pigs heads and seconds from the chicken plant.

Whilst there are crappy preservative laden pet meats available, there are also many excellent choices.

Absolutely correct Crisovar - there are other excellent choices around and I use chicken necks, turkey necks and offal as well - but the OP was asking about pet mince from the supermarket so thats what we've been commenting on. :)

Just a word about the Paws mince. IF it is the same product that I know then don't touch it with a barge pole! Is it in a red bag? Get some of this stuff, wash the crimson dye off it and look at the "chunks" - that was never anything that lived. I used to buy this and it was great but sometime last year it changed from being minced meat into being reconstituted-who-knows-what covered in dye. After several of my dogs threw up what could only be described as lumps of plastic look a like we tracked it down to this stuff.

Find a good pet supply place or a butcher who will supply you food that was actually meat in a former life :laugh:

Last time I bought a bag of Paws, in the red bag. When opened up the contents were BLACK :mad and stank to high heaven.... went straight back to the supermarket. YUK...

Edited by Cala

Absolutely correct Crisovar - there are other excellent choices around and I use chicken necks, turkey necks and offal as well - but the OP was asking about pet mince from the supermarket so thats what we've been commenting on. :)

Well that is helpful because while I happily forked out for human grade mince as the base of my dogs raw diet, soon we will have two and I am looking to do some cost cutting so knowing some other things to ask the butcher for is handy!

They sell pet mince but not sure whats in it, I will have to ask

Last time I bought a bag of Paws, in the red bag. When opened up the contents were BLACK :mad and stank to high heaven.... went straight back to the supermarket. YUK...

Eeew yes, opened the bag last night and it seemed to be mostly liver with lots of blood- gross

The other brand seemed better, but won't be buying either again after reading about the preservative causing thiamine deficency

Just a word about the Paws mince. IF it is the same product that I know then don't touch it with a barge pole! Is it in a red bag? Get some of this stuff, wash the crimson dye off it and look at the "chunks" - that was never anything that lived. I used to buy this and it was great but sometime last year it changed from being minced meat into being reconstituted-who-knows-what covered in dye. After several of my dogs threw up what could only be described as lumps of plastic look a like we tracked it down to this stuff.

Find a good pet supply place or a butcher who will supply you food that was actually meat in a former life :laugh:

I thought it was abnormally red! oh and the smell was not very good. How can they say it is "choice meat"

I thought it was abnormally red! oh and the smell was not very good. How can they say it is "choice meat"

It's called advertising.

Cost cutting on your dog's diet with products like this is false economy IMO. Chicken wings and necks are cheaper than most pet mince and a whole lot better for your dog. There are better ways of feeding a cheaper diet than this one.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Chicken wings and necks are cheaper than most pet mince and a whole lot better for your dog. There are better ways of feeding a cheaper diet than this one.

I was worried about all the bleach they use to clean chickens with but probably nowhere near as bad as the pet mince rubbish.... because I am vego I spend a lot of time contemplating meat :laugh: I actually spend most of my shopping time in the meat department. :o

First dog has been eating like a king, but OH might begin to notice the cost when I'm buying for two! He already has been salivating over Snipers lamb offcuts. We live next door to a cattle station and if I had the freezer space I would buy a killer off them.

Chicken wings and necks are cheaper than most pet mince and a whole lot better for your dog. There are better ways of feeding a cheaper diet than this one.

I was worried about all the bleach they use to clean chickens with but probably nowhere near as bad as the pet mince rubbish.... because I am vego I spend a lot of time contemplating meat :laugh: I actually spend most of my shopping time in the meat department. :o

First dog has been eating like a king, but OH might begin to notice the cost when I'm buying for two! He already has been salivating over Snipers lamb offcuts. We live next door to a cattle station and if I had the freezer space I would buy a killer off them.

Might be worth investing in a chest freezer? I don't think they are very expensive to buy and run... :)

Might be worth investing in a chest freezer? I don't think they are very expensive to buy and run... :)

You might get a fright at the cost of the steer though, especially seeing it is only for the dogs. We get ours done & it works out at about $7 to $8 per kilo, which includes all the bones, & all the fat. Expensive dog bones which I mainly throw out because I don't find beef bones real suitable for dogs & the fat I have no use for. Sometimes I boil the bones down & make stock....but it is expensive stock. Unless you are going to eat the meat yourself, it works out heaps cheaper just to keep your eye out at the supermarket & buy things when they are on special, if you want to feed them human cuts of meat. To buy a steer & have it cut up, depending on the weight of the steer, you would be looking at least $1000.00 :)