Recommended, Effective Treatments And Shampoos.

Nic.B

Hi Guys,

I am seeking a group of recommended and effective treatments, shampoos, and conditioners for companion animals at my local shelter.

The most common issues are fleas and flea associated allergies, dermatitis, mange, ringworm (not so common) and breed specific skin conditions (Staffy, Shar Pei etc) Ear cleansers, eye cleansers, liquid tears, eye ointments, bandages, dressings, calming pastes etc.

Treatments including heartworm prevention cannot be used as dogs are not tested at the shelter.

As there is quite a lengthy written process for any new chemicals used at the shelter (20+ pages) required for each item, I am trying to limit shampoos to three or four at the most, and perhaps one conditioner.

Treatments must be over the counter, though I suspect creams such as neocort etc are acceptable.

I have a favourite list of my own, though would really value other dolers opinions and experiences with products you love and are very effective.

I know natural remedies are also great for some conditions, so am open to these as well :)

Oh and brushes, clippers, and nail clippers.

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by Nic.B

If I had to pick four shampoo's only I'd choose

Malaseb (3mls to 100 water, it also doubles as your ear cleanser and is very effective )

Malaseb watered down as above is also great for clearing up pyoderma's. You squirt is on and rub the scab/scale off the top and then dry with paper towel or a towel

Pyohex for the mange cases

Dermaleen is fantastic for all of those itchy dogs, like the Malaseb it's pretty pricey but will do the job for the allergic/ super itchy dogs

As a general shampoo and a cost effective one, I'd go with a 20 litre drum of Hoss Gloss. It's medicated and will serve you well.

Conditioner, I'd go with Equinade Protein silk conditioner and again for economy go with a 20 litre

As for the other things, I'd go back to basics, lots of salt water, tea bags and simple remedies. They aren't going to cure everything but if the dog has conditions that are that bad, they really need a vet and S4 meds.

I agree with Pavlova, Malaseb would have to be "must have". Wet dog, put it on and leave it there for 10 mins (must be a min of 10 mins) then rinse. As Pavolova said it can also be used to rinse out ears. It will treat malasezia, ear mites, itchy skin,mange, ringworm (and smells good too - well I like it) so it pretty well covers the issues you have mentioned.

Fido's flea and tick rinse is the other one I use a lot of as it is quick to use in the hydrobath and you don't have to rinse it off.

For eyes I keep Tricin on hand for incoming dogs that have yet to see a vet. It will lubricate their eyes but not cause any further damage if they have ulcers.

Agree with Malaseb. I would also check out the Fidos range. I have found them to be particularly good - the Herbal shampoo and perhaps the fre-itch for example. I use the herbal rinse and also used to use this when I was grooming. It can be used in a hydrobath as a mild wash as well.

Thank you all so much :) all fantastic suggestions and great products.

I use malaseb and aloveen at home, I have also found Fidos great as it seems to hit the fleas hard and fast and smells nice. Hoss Gloss is a beauty.

I find maleseb is fantastic for the dogs feet at the pound, I put it on neat and rinse off after bathing.

The malaseb spray is a great idea, we can use that easily 10 mins before their bath. We have a hydropath, the heating element needs fixing, though we fill it by hand with warm water.

We have two vet nurses on staff and visit/consult with a vet if other meds are needed, Anti-biotic for KC and eye infections are probably the most common, abscesses for cats at times who need antibiotics, scourban on occasion.

Capstar would be ideal to give the dogs when they come in and are wormed and vaccinated, which spot on do you find most effective? I know frontline is hopeless in NSW. I use comfortis at home, though spot on would probably be best for the pound animals.

I was really suprised at the price my local chemist sells comfortis and aloveen. Comfortis $70 pack (6) for dogs 27.1-54 kg and one litre of aloveen for $40.99.

Thanks for the link Clyde, I will have a look at it later tonight, just running out the door.

I have used Martha Gardener's Eucalyptus Wool Wash on puppies too young to be bathed in the normal dog flea washes... works great, don't need to use a lot, and it's not toxic.

Bought a 5 litre bottle of basic dog shampoo for $39.95 at the local pet supply place, and it's working very nicely on the rescue dogs. We water it down a bit due to some volunteers being a little heavy handed with shampoo, and it still brings them up all shiny and clean with no dry skin. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat - most of the other 5 litre bottles of name brands started at $99 and went up from there. This "cheap" stuff is doing the job just fine and it smells nice too!

T.