Alternative To A Labra- Whatsit

Nik

Second most smartest breed too...

I believe it's the smartest breed followed by the Border Collie and then the GSD. :)

It doesn't have to be kept in a frou frou clip either.

Is it? I thought Borders were! Well there ya go :)

Yep....I think you will find the BC's come first followed by the poodle :)

Aren't these intelligence tests based on trainability?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I believe it's the smartest breed followed by the Border Collie and then the GSD. :)

I think they have also been based on "problem solving" abilities as well. :)

It often amazes me when people state 'non shedding' as a criteria for a dog. Some because of allergies but most don't like the 'mess' and effort of dog hair. My mum had two maltese and they were the messiest dogs out (but they were the best fun!).

Do these people understand the work involved in having a non shedding dog? And at the end of the day they are dogs and with dogs comes mess, well in my experience anyway!

Give me a terrier every time. I prefer a dog that can think for itself.

I thought that was what "problem solving" abilities were. They have to work out the solution to the problem all by themselves. But I am sure we are all a bit bias :laugh:

I thought that was what "problem solving" abilities were. They have to work out the solution to the problem all by themselves. But I am sure we are all a bit bias :laugh:

Admittedly in the terrier, 'think for itself' manifests in an independent, 'You want me to do what??'

TBH I think "intelligence" and "non shedding" can be overrated.

To me, intelligence is fine, if you know what you're doing and you're smarter than your dog and can provide appropriate opportunities for the dog to exercise its intelligence.

If your dog is highly intelligent you need to work harder to keep it satisfied.

As for non shedding, whilst you get rid of one problem, you also have the problem of the need for frequent clipping and grooming, which is fine if you enjoy it but plenty of oodles are advertised as being "low maintenance" which is very misleading. There is also a reason why poodles feet and faces are usually clipped short.

I do not understand why people get a poodle cross because they wanted "the intelligence/personality of a poodle without looking like one"

To me pretty much all oodles look very similar to poodles (no offence poodle people) and look no less "girly" than a purebred poodle in the fact they are usually fluffy and curly coated.

Most of the lab x poodle you see, have very little resemblance to a Labrador so honestly, why bother crossing them in the first place?

I do not understand why people get a poodle cross because they wanted "the intelligence/personality of a poodle without looking like one"

To me pretty much all oodles look very similar to poodles (no offence poodle people) and look no less "girly" than a purebred poodle in the fact they are usually fluffy and curly coated.

Most of the lab x poodle you see, have very little resemblance to a Labrador so honestly, why bother crossing them in the first place?

:dropjaw:

:laugh:

Apart from coat type (sometimes) I don't think there's often much similar about them. Usually very different heads and body type - and often temperament too.

Mind you, I'm standing on the inside looking out.

What most oodles look like to me is that they need a good groom. You want a scruffy, fluffy wool coated breed - all I can think of it the ear, mouth, feet and bum issues that go with not removing coat for hygiene reasons. Sheesh I can see the mats forming on PUPS at my dog club because long coat isn't being properly groomed. Ask any poodle person - long coat is HARD WORK.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I much prefer a dumb dog - I've got the skills to keep on top of an intelligent dog if need be but I prefer not to have to!! :laugh:

Me too, far easier to keep happy! According to that study, my breed came in at a whopping no.48 out of 69. Bah, intelligence is over-rated! :laugh:

I much prefer a dumb dog - I've got the skills to keep on top of an intelligent dog if need be but I prefer not to have to!! :laugh:

Me too, far easier to keep happy! According to that study, my breed came in at a whopping no.48 out of 69. Bah, intelligence is over-rated! :laugh:

I think the study is bollocks.

:dropjaw:

:laugh:

Apart from coat type (sometimes) I don't think there's often much similar about them. Usually very different heads and body type - and often temperament too.

Mind you, I'm standing on the inside looking out.

What most oodles look like to me is that they need a good groom. You want a scruffy, fluffy wool coated breed - all I can think of it the ear, mouth, feet and bum issues that go with not removing coat for hygiene reasons. Sheesh I can see the mats forming on PUPS at my dog club because long coat isn't being properly groomed. Ask any poodle person - long coat is HARD WORK.

I have to comb and brush Coco every night if I keep a long coat on her, if I miss a night matt's will start forming so I just keep on top of it every night takes about 30 mins-60 mins depending on what she has been upto through out the day :laugh:

Even if it's not bollocks, I wouldn't use it as the basis for choosing a family dog. Intelligence being only one aspect of a dog breed. In fact, not denigrating any of the breeds higher on the list, but some of the loveliest family dogs aren't near the top of that intelligence list (CKCS to name but one). The amenable nature of a "less intelligent" breed should rate highly when choosing a family pet.

I think Allerziet only posted it to answer an earlier question in the thread re. the most intelligent breed anyway. :)

Even if it's not bollocks, I wouldn't use it as the basis for choosing a family dog. Intelligence being only one aspect of a dog breed. In fact, not denigrating any of the breeds higher on the list, but some of the loveliest family dogs aren't near the top of that intelligence list (CKCS to name but one). The amenable nature of a "less intelligent" breed should rate highly when choosing a family pet.

I think Allerziet only posted it to answer an earlier question in the thread re. the most intelligent breed anyway. :)

I agree - Golden Retrievers aren't exactly renowned for their intelligence...but they are great family pets!! They're so biddable and friendly (in my fairly limited experience unfortunately!! I LOVE them)... Just as an example :)

There were 2 standard poodles at our dog park tonight and they are FAR from being a prissy breed. They canter with such an air of elegance and hold themselves as if they're saying "we're too good for this place". I love how proud they look when running around and they are such big, sweet buffoons!!

As for oodles, there's a few at the dog park too -- one was born with only one kidney and the other has horrible skin problems. And personally I don't think they're all that great to look at.

I spent an hour or so in the company of a 4-month old black standard poodle pup yesterday afternoon - what a super dog :thumbsup: lovely looking, elegant, playful, gentle but fun, quick on the uptake...I was very impressed :)

I agree - Golden Retrievers aren't exactly renowned for their intelligence...but they are great family pets!! They're so biddable and friendly (in my fairly limited experience unfortunately!! I LOVE them)... Just as an example :)

Well, they're no.4 on that list! :D

Really!? After the GSDs you mean? That's awesome!! Man I'm proud :D hehe

I've just always been told they're "dopey" or something...

Well there you go, they're probably just calm and content. :)

Well there you go, they're probably just calm and content. :)

Hehe :) except the one we had when I was about 7! Got her as a pup and she was a tad too boisterous for us kids (my little sister was 5 and my little brother and other sister were 3 and 2) so she'd always knock us over! I loved her though - did my best not to cry when we sold her. Oh yeah and she wasn't really suited to the farm...she liked chasing the sheep. :(

I would get another one in a second.