Breeding Advice Needed

jackofhearts

Hi, I have a lovely boy that I bred myself and he is lovely in structure and temperament but hates the show ring. This same boy prances around at home like a show pony. He has a surperb pedigree and was bred by myself as a potential stud dog. Would you keep this dog in your breeding program.

The show ring is not the be all and end all of selecting potential breeding dogs and not all dogs enjoy being shown. What is his temperament like in other situations outside the home - is he out going or shy? Did he have a bad experience at a show during a fear stage? I wouldn't throw a dog out because it disliked showing but was otherwise well structured and temperamentally sound but would if there was a temperament problem.

Do you show him yourself? I only ask as sometimes my girl looks flat with me, but give her to someone else and it's a different dog! :)

As Janba said, the show ring is not the be all and end all :) as long as your happy with him otherwise:)

I agree. Not all dogs are suited to the show ring. Conformation is great, but unfortunately personality is what really makes it. Call it the "X Factor" or the "Look at Me". Dogs lacking that are harder to show and win with. If two dogs side by side who are equal in all other areas, one with spunk and one without, the spunky one will more than likely win.

Some dogs love the show ring, others don't.

How do you stack him - free stack using bait or manual placement? Maybe change how you present him to make it more positive and enjoyable?

How old is he? Does he need time to mature and get confidence??

Can you do something else with the dog to maybe build drive and confidence and bring him back in the ring later on?

Is he not winning in the show ring because he is not as good as you think?

You do not have to answer these questions publicly. Something maybe to reflect on quietly.

• How do you REALLY know he is of very good conformation/structure? (Kennel blindness)
  • Have other experienced breeders/exhibitors commented on how nice a boy he is and whether he should stay or go? (They have seen the dog and maybe have put their hands on the dog to be able to evaluate him)
  • What makes this dog a great potential stud dog? Is it for you or for others? If for you, can he be handy later on? Does he have qualities that will improve your bitches?
  • Do you have room to keep him longer to see how he turns out. Can you lease him or stash him somewhere for breeding use?

It is hard for anyone to really answer such a question on a forum. For one, we cannot see the dog, secondly we cannot place our hands on the dog to evaluate his conformation (in case of breeder bias). Sometimes it does take an outside person to really evaluate the dog and open the eyes of breeders who believe their dogs are excellent.

If the dog is that good, then just because he does not like the show ring, does not mean he should be thrown out with the bathwater.

Hi, I have a lovely boy that I bred myself and he is lovely in structure and temperament but hates the show ring. This same boy prances around at home like a show pony. He has a surperb pedigree and was bred by myself as a potential stud dog. Would you keep this dog in your breeding program.

Some questions to add to Mystiqview's questions - no need to answer them here but something to ponder.

How is he outside the home in other novel or relatively unfamiliar situations?

What is the temperament of his parents like? What are close relatives throwing when it comes to temperament?

It is true that not every dog is blessed with show ring sparkle, but it's also true that "doesn't like the show ring" is often code for very real temperament problems.

Thankyou so much for the replies. I can answer some of the questions now but have to go shortly to organised children's lunches lol. Jax is confident at home and even ring side but will become lifeless in the ring. In my breed - JRT'S it is required that they carry their tails high.My poor boy hangs his low. I have been showing Jacks for a number of years now but never had this issue before. I have thought of putting him with someone else and may try this. He has won some class in groups and BOB'S in the past but his dislike of showing has been increasing.The owner's of his sire are very experienced with the breed and have acheived two Grand Ch titles, they have told me that he is a very nice dog and are willing to take him to show . Cheers Sharon

As long as he ticks all the boxes and his temperment is fine in his everyday life and when out and about then I would keep him in your breeding program.

A bitch I had years ago did not show at all well for me (and I did not have the experience to quickly and confidentaly deal with what she pulled in the ring) She gained her title with a fantastic and confident and knowledgable handler and picked up some lovely wins along the way.

My Stafford boy now is THE consumate showman! He just LOVES it. His mother on the other hand HATED the ring with a passion and slunk around it as though she were being led to her execution. Had I removed her from the breeding program based upon show ring attitude, then I wouldn't have him and that would be a shame (in my opinion anyway).

Show temperament is not necessarily characteristic of most breeds. Breeds call for specific temperament traits based upon their breed and the purpose of that breed. That we even get some breeds to perform remotely outside what their makeup tells them is a bonus.

I don't count show performance (ie temperament) as a benchmark in selecting for a breeding program. If they enjoy it, well and good. If they don't enjoy it but despite not "sparkling" can still be found by judges and awarded accordingly then that is good enough.