Must Ask Questions When Buying A Puppy

It's taken a while, but i have read and tried to absorb every post in this thread so far. I'm thinking it will be better to extend my idea a little and go through and research breed by breed, rather than a generic "ask these questions". Time to start doing some research and educate myself on all breeds!

As mentioned above the majority of people dont understand "papers", "pure breed" etc. Actually it reminds me of a conversation i had with my step-brothers girlfriend a few weeks ago. She mentioned she was getting a pure breed Labradoodle from a show breeder. Maybe i am wrong but my response was, Labradoodle is a cross breed "designer dog" not a pure breed dog.

"purebred" because both the mum and dad were "doodles" :rofl:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's taken a while, but i have read and tried to absorb every post in this thread so far. I'm thinking it will be better to extend my idea a little and go through and research breed by breed, rather than a generic "ask these questions". Time to start doing some research and educate myself on all breeds!

As mentioned above the majority of people dont understand "papers", "pure breed" etc. Actually it reminds me of a conversation i had with my step-brothers girlfriend a few weeks ago. She mentioned she was getting a pure breed Labradoodle from a show breeder. Maybe i am wrong but my response was, Labradoodle is a cross breed "designer dog" not a pure breed dog.

I don't think you need to go to that extent, some onus needs to be on the buyer. smile.gif

*Explain the difference between pet shops, BYBs and registered breeders

*Discuss the what 'registered' actually means (there are working registries also, but to keep it simple and relevant for pet owners you are best to stick to ANKC)

*Explain what 'papers' are (both limited and main), why they are important and who can issue them.

*Encourage the buyer to research temperament, breed standard and possible health issues within their chosen breed. This will help them to understand whether the breed is a suitable fit for them, what they should look like (structure, colour, faults, etc) and which questions to ask in regards to breed specific health testing. A little research can easily tell someone what (if any) tests are required and acceptable results.

*Point the buyer towards breed clubs for further info.

Thought I had better advise that some breeds in Australia do not have a breed club. :shrug:

and some that do are rife with politics so some breeders wouldn't touch them with a barge pole and that does not make them bad breeders.

I wrote a summary of this particular issue on my site, for this VERY reason. I tried to summarise in plain english exactly what 'papers' are, what are NOT papers, why to buy (or not) from certain places, etc. Here is my summary if it helps at all.

On Line Pets

You take BYB's out of the equation and you also make it a lot harder for the pet shops to source their puppies/kittens resulting in much fewer shops selling puppies.

Remember the puppy farms. There are some ok byb out there, it is only labelling, after all, but a puppy farm is a puppy farm is a pu..........

A purebred is the result of the mating of two purebred animals of the same breed.

So labradoodles and what have yous don't cut it because their parents are not the same breed.

The only papers which are important are the certified registration papers from the registering society and in 99.0% of pups, that would be the ANKC.

don't forget also if asking for the health certificates understanding what they actually say and mean

I knew when I got my first golden retriever that I had to ask for a hip and elbow score certificates. No problems getting that so I thought everything was fine. Only trouble was I had no idea what the scores meant :laugh: lucky all was okay and now i know what to look for :)

Edited by Ons

Thought I had better advise that some breeds in Australia do not have a breed club. :shrug:

and some that do are rife with politics so some breeders wouldn't touch them with a barge pole and that does not make them bad breeders.

Ya right there Rebanne.