Off-lead Dog Parks With Lights - Sydney, Inner West

skully

Where do you take your dogs for a run around in the evening - are there many places around with lights?

We live in Croydon/Ashfield and would love to know of any spots to take our Stafford for her evening play!

Where do you take your dogs for a run around in the evening - are there many places around with lights?

We live in Croydon/Ashfield and would love to know of any spots to take our Stafford for her evening play!

I only know of one park in Ashfield, but not having been there at night wouldn't be able to tell what the lighting is like?

http://www.offleash.com.au/content/cadigal-reserve

Sydney Park's good, but stick around the brickworks after dark - the pond area's not well-lit, but it's crawling with rangers who'll book a dog for having wet feet (the ponds are dog-free). Moreover, if you don't see them when it happens, they'll just scan the chip and mail you the fine, so it's tough to argue that.

In that area, Camperdown Rest Park is usually populated pretty late, and it's well-lit. The park behind Enmore TAFE is also lit, but has a fairly rough crowd of staffies and bull terriers after dark - I had to stop taking my malamute a couple of years ago because he was getting terrorised by 3-4 dogs working as a pack.

Alexandria oval isn't far from sydney park, but it's lit and has an offlead dog area just outside the fenced off oval and there is often people using the oval part of the evening so you don't feel isolated. The regular local crowd is not as big once dark but still a few.

Henson Park in Marrickville is lit, but I can't recommend it as there are a number of people who allow their dogs to attack others.

Unfortunately, the best park does tend to be Sydney Park, as Clover Moore the Lord Mayor of Sydney is pro-dog.

Marrickville Council is an anti-dog council, also try parks around Leichhardt as it tends to have a pro dog council.

Good luck finding somewhere.

We use Sydenham Park (corner of Unwins Bridge Road and George St). It gets really busy around the 5:30-6:30pm time slot but we tend to go down at about 7pm and there will only be about 2 other dogs there.

Its only small but fenced (if you have a really small dog i wouldnt advise it but i have a pug and he is fine with the fences) has shelters, bins, water bowl. In summer its nice cause there are scattered trees.

Weekends we just go whenever we feel like it and 4/5 times we will be the only ones there.

Oh there's also Bicentennial Park just off The Crescent at the end of City West Link... that's pretty well lit. Plenty of access points either from The Crescent or various streets through Glebe - have a look on your map.

Oh there's also Bicentennial Park just off The Crescent at the end of City West Link... that's pretty well lit. Plenty of access points either from The Crescent or various streets through Glebe - have a look on your map.

That's the one I meant, it has the dog beach and heaps of space.

I only know of one park in Ashfield, but not having been there at night wouldn't be able to tell what the lighting is like?

I investigated the one park in Ashfield - Cadigal Reserve, a few years ago. It was poorly lit and downright creepy. The dog area had a bunch of rusty spray paint cans strewn around. It was intersected by huge half drains which led into neighboring bushland (semi-fenced).

I complained to Council and suggested a planned park near me. They said too bad, so sad, that's all you get. The planned park will be a kids' play area. Not a pro-dog council. I asked a dog person who appeared at Cadigal if they ever met any other dogs there. They said 'no'. Says a lot.

Hawthorne Reserve is nice in the day BUT recent experience has been bad - meeting out of control, poorly supervised aggressive dogs with bogon owners.

Edited by Poppy's mum

Hawthorne Canal is to be avoided - it's feral. Last time we we went there for obedience - walked my dog past the cafe and he was set on by a pack of dogs.

Have you checked the lighting at Peace Park in Ashbury? There is the fenced dog area but at quiet times I walk him in the park itself.

Peace park's fenced dog area has a part of the fence down at the moment - as far as i know there isn't much in the way of lighting there, but that might change. It's a pretty quiet dog park, we hardly see many dogs there at all!

yes it's fantastic. I don't like panto swimming there anymore since the one day there was a bull shark discovered not far from where the dogs swim! An incredibly rare occurence but panto is such a waterbaby I am not taking the risk! Plenty of other space for them to run.

yes it's fantastic. I don't like panto swimming there anymore since the one day there was a bull shark discovered not far from where the dogs swim! An incredibly rare occurence but panto is such a waterbaby I am not taking the risk! Plenty of other space for them to run.

Er, seriously? I do dragon boat paddling in there twice a week and have never seen anything worse than jelly fish and lots of rubbish. Pretty gross water to swim in though, pups need a good rinse off when they come out!

I investigated the one park in Ashfield - Cadigal Reserve, a few years ago. It was poorly lit and downright creepy. The dog area had a bunch of rusty spray paint cans strewn around. It was intersected by huge half drains which led into neighboring bushland (semi-fenced).

I complained to Council and suggested a planned park near me. They said too bad, so sad, that's all you get. The planned park will be a kids' play area. Not a pro-dog council. I asked a dog person who appeared at Cadigal if they ever met any other dogs there. They said 'no'. Says a lot.

Hawthorne Reserve is nice in the day BUT recent experience has been bad - meeting out of control, poorly supervised aggressive dogs with bogon owners.

Cadigal reserve sounds like a dump, I retract my comment, thanks for letting us know.