"ping" Training

Ted, our Golden Retriever, is developing his own branch of clicker training - it is called "ping" training.

we feed Nina and Ted BARF and often need to defrost their meals. Ted has now learned that "ping" equals food. when he hears the microwave go "ping" he will run over to it and sit beautifully looking up at it for its next instructions.

if there are none forthcoming he will sometimes suggest some commands to the microwave - like "shake" or "drop" :laugh:

it's the joy of moments like this that keep us loving them after they have dug a huge hole under the clothes line isn't it?

:laugh: Smart creatures aren't they!

When I had my old computer Flynn used to jump up off the couch and get excitied about going to bed and getting his bed time treat when he heard the modem disconnect at night. :shrug:

Pavlov's Dog ... ahhh the beauty of 1st year Psych :shrug:

So true, first year psych was great!

It does tell you something though when a trainer spouts terminology and gets it wrong . . . using Pavlov as an example and saying normal training methods use classical conditioning :laugh:. I had to bite my tongue as I didn't want to totally humiliate the guy.

Sorry Delta people but the instructor in my example was Delta trained - and lost a lot of my respect after that.

:laugh:

Mine have the scrape the plate sound working for them.

They know that as soon as they hear the plates scraping after dinner that means they get the leftover dinner scraps.

Its amazing to see them all standing at attention. Selective hearing at times I'm sure !!

It does tell you something though when a trainer spouts terminology and gets it wrong . . . using Pavlov as an example and saying normal training methods use classical conditioning .

OMG now I'm confused, I thought ALL training methods, recall on situations in life happen/work because of classical conditioning, both + and -, for both humans and animals. If not, I have totally not understood everything I've read :shrug: . My understanding is that dogs learn through OC and repetition, which leads to anticipation (sometimes you don't need many repetitions). I thought anticipation is basically what classical conditioning is, no :laugh:

cheers

M-J

This guy wasn't takiing it very deep - he basically was getting classical and operant conditioning confused (he was saying when a dog sits for a food reward, it is classical conditioning.)

My understanding is that classical conditioning involves an involuntary response (eg salivation in Pavlov), whereas operant conditioning involves a voluntary response (eg a sit). The dog can choose to sit or not, but it has no voluntary control over whether it salivates or not.

Does anticipation count as classical conditioning? Do you mean the feeling of anticipation (emotion) or anticipation as in doing the exercise before commanded (eg anticipting the automatic sit)? If you mean anticipating command, I would say this is still operant conditioning, but if you mean emotional response, I am not sure. Is it a response due to knowing that training and reward is coming? Can the dog control it?

On topic - my dog responds to when I pick up the leads - Zoe starts barking if she knows we are about to go for a walk.

Jack, too, is "ping" trained.

He will also run from outside to the back door when the phone rings (which is handy, 'cos I would miss lots of calls otherwise!).

He seems to know that Tuesday night is obedience night. He's like a doggy on a pogo stick the moment we get home from work.

Putting sneakers on means a walk. Pure and simple (according to Jack).

And the chest freezer :shrug: My goodness. If you open that to get something boring like bread or frozen spinach out, heaven help you. Everyone knows that's where BONES come from!!! :laugh:

My understanding is that classical conditioning involves an involuntary response (eg salivation in Pavlov), whereas operant conditioning involves a voluntary response (eg a sit). The dog can choose to sit or not, but it has no voluntary control over whether it salivates or not.

Classical conditioning is where you take a unconditioned stimulus (food) and the unconditioned response (salivation) and then pair the uncondition stimulus with a conditioned stimulus (bell) to elicit a conditioned response (again salivation), then you can take away food and use only the bell to get salivation.

Operant conditioning is where behaviour is controlled based on the consequences. In the Skinner box (yay Skinner!) pidgeons and rats will continously pull on a lever for food (reinforcer), however if the lever leads to a shock (punishment) they will stop. Dogs will sit for food if they sit and get smacked this decreases the chance they will do it again....

Leila is 'pants' trained. In the comfort of my own home I just wonder around in my undies, so when I put my jeans on that means we're going out and she gets super excited hehehe

Side note: Try not to defrost your BARF in the microwave, it alters the nutrional value smile.gif BARF maintains all its best properties when defrosted naturally

:laugh: that would mean that I would have to remember two meals ahead (they are still on two meals a day). at the moment I'm having problems even remembering my own name. (I'm studying and working full time and feeling a bit frazzled!) Ted and Nina are the only things that are keeping me sane. oh... and my husband...

the cats on the other hand are driving me mad... they move things on me and one of them deliberately knocks things off shelves to wake us up at four in the morning to feed them.

mind you we have one of the cats doing "shake" for his dinner now after weeks of watching in absolute fascination as the dogs learnt to do this. :) he doesn't respond to the word though. he just does it now when he wants to be fed. which is all the time.

hmmmmmm... who exactly is doing the training around here???

sas - you are as ever the voice of reason in times of turmoil. would you believe that way back when we started barf I even bought a special container and labelled it and all...

i'll write it in my diary to do the night before and then it will happen. it has gotten to the point lately where I have written "walk Nina and Ted" in the diary!! my husband says "nerd alert" whenever he sees my lists, but they keep me on track! :laugh:

To quote the original poster [Ted has now learned that "ping" equals food. when he hears the microwave go "ping" he will run over to it .....]

:(

Why is it necessary to disparage another person who considers this is Classical Conditioning?

:D:

Like most situations it involves both Classical and Operant Conditioning.

Why does Ted run over to the microwave?

Do you think this might just be in anticipation of food?

Do you think Ted might just be salivating in response to the ping?

How more Pavlovian can you get? :confused:

Jake

sorry - i didn't mean to disparage anyone. I don't even know the difference between classical and operant anything.

I just thought it was a funny story because I've just begun doing a bit of reading on clicker training. And he looks so cute sitting proudly at the microwave.