T.v. Just For Dogs

LizT

A dog is a man's best friend - but what do they do when the masters away?

DogTV is the very first cable television network created for dogs with the purpose of keeping them occupied through the day.

Developers say television is a good company for four-legged viewers as it can help reduce their anxiety.

Dr. Nicholas Dodman, Director of the Animal Behaviour Clinic at Tufts University told Reuters that many people don't realise what their dogs go through when they are away, as they are still there when you come home.

'There was a void to fill. And the void to fill is that there are numerous dogs, 80 million in the United States, many of whom are spending long hours alone, up to and even more than eight hours a day.

'So owners sort of took to leaving on radio or TV, that's just what they decided to do. So 60 or 70 per cent of people already leave on some kind of media for their dog when they leave.' Dr. Dodman told Reuters.

DogTV made its premier earlier this year in southern California - and was given the paws up.

I think this is the wrong type of push for bored dogs at home. A big bone, a food-stuffed Kong, a chicken wing frozen in a four-litre icecream container is they're outside dogs... but a specific channel for dogs to watch? Taking it too far.

Maya watched 'Bolt' with me this evening, and she did actually seem interested in a few bits in particular with doggie vocalization, but I'd hardly leave the TV on all day for her!

Hugo can't watch TV. Like, he literally cannot see the image on the TV. He'll respond to dog barks/whining, but he won't realise it's coming from the dog on the TV, he'll think it's coming from outside or behind the TV or in the room behind the wall the TV's on. We've tried to point at the TV, hold him up to it while the dogs are there making noises, everything, but he just can't watch TV. But he also can't read a pointed finger either, when we point to something like a ball or something, he doesn't look at the ball, he looks at the finger. He could be a bit retarded though :laugh:

Otherwise this would be a pretty cool concept because he cracks it when we leave him at home alone.

I would definitely not subscribe to this channel. Koda barks at every animal he sees and hears on our tv as it is! Even the animated ones :laugh:

There is a beer ad on tv at the moment that has deer on it - Koda can be outside or in another room, hear the opening music and come hurtling through the house at high speed and literally throws himself at the tele, telling these beasties to get out of his house :laugh: the RSPCA ad is one of the worse, it goes for so long, we now have to switch the channel when it comes on :laugh: I have to watch the video show in the bedroom with the door shut because he gets so annoyed about those cute animals being in our house :laugh: Ratbag

Edited for spelling ... Damn iPhone autocorrect

Edited by Aannie