Would You Sell A Pup To A Fifo Worker?

Cheyd

I don't breed so I don't have a strong opinion as I don't know enough about it all. But I think that possibly there are a lot worse lifestyles that a dog could be living. But I do agree with what some have said about a pup maybe not being a good idea and maybe an older dog might cope with it better.

You are right. But there also are a lot better ones and when you sell a pup that's what you're looking for.

The instability and the potential to develop unwanted behaviours would be what worried me most about a pup in a week in/week out situation.

I'm not sure you could ever successfully toilet train a pup in this situation.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about people in the military? They often have longer and more unpredictable absences. Are they also on the "no sell" list?

If they are single and the pup would be kenneled for 50% of its life then I wouldn't sell them a puppy either. A mature dog with a second carer wouldn't be an issue though.

FIFO is a way of life for many people, not just a short term thing. If you're a mining engineer or geologist it is a long term prospect. If it is a short term thing then she should just wait until it is over. Why does she even want a puppy?

Ask her how she'd feel if the kennel owner was lying to her and not giving her the standard of care that they had promised? Same thing that she is doing to the breeder.

Edited by megan_

What about people in the military? They often have longer and more unpredictable absences. Are they also on the "no sell" list?

Well it would seem you could add many people on that list.

Shift workers

High profile business people who work away (Yep big money earners who think cash is more important :rofl: )

Maybe those on the dole who sit at home would be better .

No.

FIFOs demonstrate an ethic where cash is valued much more highly than community or home life.

No puppy for them. :)

That has to be the biggest loud of rubbish i have ever heard

I would expect to hear that from somebody who makes money catering to the FIFO lifestyle.

Why else would somebody spend weeks working away from the place they choose to live, if not for the cash? Their priority is very clear, and that is quite ok, but it is not compatible with responsible dog ownership.

The more I read most of the replies, it keeps coming down to 'depends on actual circumstances', for me. I think people have described very well the possible circumstances ....which would influence either a 'yes' or a 'no', in each case.

Edited by mita

Guest Arcane

I know many FIFO families that live in country areas where a decent income is difficult or impossible to earn locally. They have their roots in the area and have no desire to move their family away from their relatives, their land, their friends, their schools.

FIFO gives them an awesome opportunity to be able to support their families very comfortably as well as I find, spend MORE QUALITY TIME with their families. Yes when they are away they miss out on family stuff, but when home, they don't have to do anything else except be with their family, so they can do a lot of stuff that working locally all the time instead would exclude them from.

Ask a lot of FIFO partners and they will say it's great to have a little separation in the mix.

Yeah, but i'd rather have my parent or partner not working away but instead unemployed or under employed locally and showing no commitment to work ethics etc

Of course for many young /singles it's a fabulous opportunity to cash in, but it's still a massive commitment to an often less than desirable working environment.

As for selling a FIFO worker a puppy...... glad that's not a decision I have to make.

No.

FIFOs demonstrate an ethic where cash is valued much more highly than community or home life.

WOW! What a narrow minded and un-informed reply that was!

Edited by Sares

No.

You obviously haven't kept up on the sociological research about FIFO workers in Australia.

Do you have an opinion yourself or did you just come in to have a go at people?

Most of us have to do something for a crust, and working hard for a set period then resting just suits how some ppl like to do things. There are jobs out there that are far more destructive to families. .

Edited by Weasels

This thread isn't about the ramifications for FIFO's families or the ethics of choosing FIFO.

It is about the ramifications for a dog of being owned by a single person that will not be around during crucial stages of the pup's development.

I wouldn't place a pup with somebody who wasn't going to be around to spend time with it daily. No matter what they did for a living.

Research tells about statistical trends in a group. It does not predict for individuals. So, while it'd be useful to have a look at any trends among FIFO workers, I'd still have to look at this issue of adopting a puppy on a case by case basis.

Can you give me the reference to the study (studies) you're referring to, which led to the conclusion about FIFO workers you've quoted ?

Edited by mita

No.

You obviously haven't kept up on the sociological research about FIFO workers in Australia.

Do you have an opinion yourself or did you just come in to have a go at people?

You could say that about a lot of people that are in high level, high income jobs. Many managers that live at home spend less time with their families than a lot of FIFO workers do. Truck drivers also spend a lot of time away from their homes and for the sole reason of earning money. We actually found that there was less stress when my oh worked FIFO than when he moved home and worked a normal 9-5 job. At least with the FIFO job he didn't bring his work home and the kids had him for seven days.

I don't really have an opinion on whether they get the pup or not but if they already have a dog then the stability of that other dog going back and forth with it won't be a bad thing.

Research tells about statistical trends in a group. It does not predict for individuals. So, while it'd be useful to have a look at any trends, I'd still have to look at this issue of adopting a puppy on a case by case basis and the individuals concerned

Can you give me the reference to the study (studies) you're referring to, which led to the conclusions you've quoted ?

No, I don't have time to do the research, but plenty of recent stuff has been done.

The common factor that all FIFO workers have is that they fly away from their home and their pets for weeks at a time.

The OP has indicated that the puppy would be living in boarding kennels for weeks at a time.

I have placed many dogs in homes, and would not place a dog in a home where the owner has decided to work away from home for weeks at a time. This is a no-brainer for people that place dogs responsibly.

This isn't a thread judging FIFO workers, it is a thread about whether a home is suitable and withholding information from a breeder when buying a pup.

This isn't a thread judging FIFO workers, it is a thread about whether a home is suitable and withholding information from a breeder when buying a pup.

Well you did that and it was a fairly harsh judgement. Maybe it would have been better just to say no and leave it at that.

No.

Puppy or no puppy, that middle comment is going to get a reaction tho.

Research tells about statistical trends in a group. It does not predict for individuals. So, while it'd be useful to have a look at any trends, I'd still have to look at this issue of adopting a puppy on a case by case basis and the individuals concerned

Can you give me the reference to the study (studies) you're referring to, which led to the conclusions you've quoted ?

No, I don't have time to do the research, but plenty of recent stuff has been done.

The common factor that all FIFO workers have is that they fly away from their home and their pets for weeks at a time.

The OP has indicated that the puppy would be living in boarding kennels for weeks at a time.

I have placed many dogs in homes, and would not place a dog in a home where the owner has decided to work away from home for weeks at a time. This is a no-brainer for people that place dogs responsibly.

Well, you pretty much did that in your post saying that FIFOs demonstrate an ethic where cash is valued much more highly than community or home life.

Maybe you should stick to the topic?

If I was a breeder I don't think that I would sell to someone on that roster, two dogs boarding could get quite expensive.

As a breeder it is a no brainer for me. I am always going to do what is best for the dog. I am happy to wait for the right home and I don't have to settle which is what selling a puppy to a home where it spends a high percentage of time at kennels. Mind you I have a long list of no sells, such as an outside dog, single dog when they work full time or kennelled.

I have placed many dogs in homes, and would not place a dog in a home where the owner has decided to work away from home for weeks at a time.

A fair point. And a checklist should be drawn up for any adoption of a puppy or a dog to anyone. Doesn't matter whether it's a FIFO worker or not.

Like, reasonable continuity of care, for starters.

A family situation or couple situation where there's at least one person maintaining the familiar 'home front' & routines would be fine, by me.

I've known a family situation where the dad was 3 weeks out and 1 week home (actually doing university admin in a developing country). They adopted a dog, with no problems.

If a single person was going to use a kennel situation for one week in and one week out....it'd have to be an older dog (IMO)...and a lot would depend on the type of care at the kennels. Not to mention the temperament of the dog! I can't see every breeder agreeing to that as a start to a life with a new owner. Lot of 'if's' to work thro'. If other family or friends were providing the week 'out' care, that'd have to be looked into, too.

Working thro' a checklist of what's important for the dog's welfare, can only work if the potential adopter is honest about their circumstances. But that's so, for all adoptions.

Edited by mita