Does Anyone Else Get Teary In The Rescue Forum?

Squidgy

I cry no tears for the dog aggressive dogs.

I don't believe every dog must be saved because it is breathing.

I only save beautiful natured dogs and know that oldies have so much left to give as do greyhounds .... in both cases it is sadly hard to convince people of the value of either. :(

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cry no tears for the dog aggressive dogs.

I don't believe every dog must be saved because it is breathing.

I only save beautiful natured dogs and know that oldies have so much left to give as do greyhounds .... in both cases it is sadly hard to convince people of the value of either. :(

Ditto I to believe that not every dog must be saved buts its upsetting to see the ones that dont deserve such treatment lumped in with the bad ones

I manage the Blacktown Pound thread along with a number of other very dedicated volunteer staff.

Every time I have to put up a kill list I cry.Now I know from experience that most will not be PTS, that Blacktown do their very best to not have to PTS a dog (or cat), but knowing it is a possibility is very upsetting when you follow these dogs day in and day out. If a dogs can not be successfully rehomed then PTS is the kindest option for them.

Rescue is not easy.

Occasionally, I get PMs or emails telling me of a possible wheaten or kerry blue terrier in a pound and I've found it immensely frustrating trying to get further information on the dog from rescuers who have access to that particular pound. Ask for photos that would positively identify the breed and rudely get referred to an unhelpful Facebook page where the photos are thoroughly artistic but don't ID the breed at all. I thought about posting an 'Identify the Breed' thread in the rescue but I am not convinced anyone in rescue would take any notice of it.

I'd welcome and "Identify the Breed" thread Sheridan... most times it's just a guess based on what the dog looks like, as many dogs in pounds and shelters are from an unknown cross that could look like something completely different to what they actually are.

Take for example my current foster pups (Frenchie/Pug/Maltese) - not one of them looks like there could be any Maltese in them - one is smooth coated, and the other 4 are scruffy (but soft). Had I not seen both parent dogs when the pups were surrendered to us, I would never have guessed that their dam was a pure Maltese. They are deadly cute nonetheless... *grin*

T.

When I 'discovered' dogs eight years ago, with the purchase of our little boy, I very quickly became overwhelmed with what I saw as man's 'cruelty' to this animal. I really had a sense of wanting to save all the dogs in the world and I was really affected by my inability to do so... My family had to actually intervene as I was becoming too emotional about it, if that makes sense? Now, I have to literally steer clear of rescue sites, I do not go near pet shops that sell dogs, I try not to be too judgemental of people when I hear a barking/howling dog and I make a point of reading the happy ever after stories. I absolutely applaud the work that rescuers and campaigners do..the only thing I do is give the old financial helping hand..and I know that's not enough, but I just don't have the stamina and fortitude that some of you wonderful DOLers have....

Guest lavendergirl

When I 'discovered' dogs eight years ago, with the purchase of our little boy, I very quickly became overwhelmed with what I saw as man's 'cruelty' to this animal. I really had a sense of wanting to save all the dogs in the world and I was really affected by my inability to do so... My family had to actually intervene as I was becoming too emotional about it, if that makes sense? Now, I have to literally steer clear of rescue sites, I do not go near pet shops that sell dogs, I try not to be too judgemental of people when I hear a barking/howling dog and I make a point of reading the happy ever after stories. I absolutely applaud the work that rescuers and campaigners do..the only thing I do is give the old financial helping hand..and I know that's not enough, but I just don't have the stamina and fortitude that some of you wonderful DOLers have....

I am with you Polly. There is no way I could do what these wonderful people do day in and day out to help these dogs regardless of what breed or crossbreed they are or age, size, etc. People like Yellowgirl staying up all night helping a little 14 year old rescue dog to breathe or K9Angel going out at night to rescue a kitten left half dead in a shopping trolley. These people are out there really making a difference and I admire them greatly. The rest of us can still do our bit by giving a bit here and there where we can and providing support on forums like this. :)

I'd welcome and "Identify the Breed" thread Sheridan... most times it's just a guess based on what the dog looks like, as many dogs in pounds and shelters are from an unknown cross that could look like something completely different to what they actually are.

Take for example my current foster pups (Frenchie/Pug/Maltese) - not one of them looks like there could be any Maltese in them - one is smooth coated, and the other 4 are scruffy (but soft). Had I not seen both parent dogs when the pups were surrendered to us, I would never have guessed that their dam was a pure Maltese. They are deadly cute nonetheless... *grin*

T.

I'm talking about purebred dogs that are hard to identify because they're rare and don't end up in pounds often if at all rather than a guess whatever mix thread.

T.

I'm talking about purebred dogs that are hard to identify because they're rare and don't end up in pounds often if at all rather than a guess whatever mix thread.

Well then, I'd definitely love one of those too Sheridan... information like that is gold!

T.

I manage the Blacktown Pound thread along with a number of other very dedicated volunteer staff.

Every time I have to put up a kill list I cry.Now I know from experience that most will not be PTS, that Blacktown do their very best to not have to PTS a dog (or cat), but knowing it is a possibility is very upsetting when you follow these dogs day in and day out. If a dogs can not be successfully rehomed then PTS is the kindest option for them.

This is one of the great voluntary jobs. :thumbsup: Getting the pics and details up for rescues to scan. You have to look the dogs straight in their eyes as you put together that list. With no guarantee of a positive future. Takes emotional resilience to feel that, but to keep on with this vital job.

Recently, I've had reason to be grateful to another 'lister' like you. Mislabelled tibbie spotted....who's now in an excellent home thanks to the rescue that then sprung him.

But, as you say, the 'listers' know that every dog won't make it.

Occasionally, I get PMs or emails telling me of a possible wheaten or kerry blue terrier in a pound and I've found it immensely frustrating trying to get further information on the dog from rescuers who have access to that particular pound. Ask for photos that would positively identify the breed and rudely get referred to an unhelpful Facebook page where the photos are thoroughly artistic but don't ID the breed at all. I thought about posting an 'Identify the Breed' thread in the rescue but I am not convinced anyone in rescue would take any notice of it.

I think that is a great idea - I am often sent links to supposed koolies in need of rescue and about 50% of the time they clearly are not - I would welcome a thread instructing rescuers how to take a photograph of a dog so that people familiar with the breed can recognise it.

I have found the vast majority of people in the Rescue thread friendly, helpful, and dedicated to saving rehomeable dogs. I doubt there is anyone who has not had to make the decision to leave a dog to be PTS because of health or behavioural issues or has not arranged for it themselves. People who criticise us for doing this need to walk a mile in our shoes and become aware of the emotional and financial costs of being involved in dog rescue although these are far outweighed in the long run by getting updates of successful rescues in their new homes.