Recommendation For Trainer/behaviourist In Sydney

Hello all,

We've only just taken ownership of two adult miniature daschunds, and are looking for a good trainer/behaviourist (preferably in home) in Sydney, to assist in settling them in and addressing some obedience and barking behaviours.

Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Hello all,

We've only just taken ownership of two adult miniature daschunds, and are looking for a good trainer/behaviourist (preferably in home) in Sydney, to assist in settling them in and addressing some obedience and barking behaviours.

Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

I have used and wholeheartedly recommend Natalie Watson...

http://www.whatadogneeds.com.au/contact.htm

What area of sydney are you in?

I would recommend K9pro, but they're about an hour out of sydney and they don't do house visits. But worth the trip if you're willing.

Otherwise Barbara from positive puppies is quite good and does home visits on sydney's north shore.

I would recommend K9pro, but they're about an hour out of sydney and they don't do house visits. But worth the trip if you're willing.

Thanks for the rec Aussie!

Just to clarify though we do actually do house visits when required :)

Thanks for the rec Aussie!

Just to clarify though we do actually do house visits when required :)

Oh really? Sorry, I didn't know!

I have used and wholeheartedly recommend Natalie Watson...

http://www.whatadogneeds.com.au/contact.htm

I tried her recently - she was booked up till July. You could check out the Delta Society website for an accredited trainer in your area. She referred me to another Delta trainer. They are all positive training - no shock collars etc

Edited by Poppy's mum

My neighbour got in an adelaide bark busters person in for his dog.

I didn't like her methods, and he didn't either. And his dog still barks and he thinks it can't be fixed because of the breed(s) (puppy mill special). He doesn't like my training methods either. Too embarrasing to be cheering a dog on the back lawn for a "shitnapiss"...

Regardless, the trainer Poppy's Mum consulted was obviously pushing a method she wasn't comfortable with and wasn't going to follow through with, so the consult wasn't successful. Which is at least half the art of professional dog training - dealing with the people.

Weasels I am unsure how you know what I "pushed". The dog may or may not have met the criteria where a bark collar was suggested. The criteria professionals use is based in risk to all parties, time frames and clients description of the problem.

I can assure you that no one who comes to me is "pushed" in any way to do anything or use anything.

I'm glad to hear that, and perhaps 'pushed' was too strong a word from PM's description reading it back, so I apologise.

Perhaps it's a cultural thing. In WA it seems pretty common for clients to pick and choose their trainers based on the use of equipment like shock collars and prongs. These aren't value-neutral tools in a lot of people's minds. PM made a choice about what methods were right for her and her dog and it made me uncomfortable to see her get lol'ed for it.