C&c Welcome How Can I Make This Better?

Kirislin

This was a quick snapped moment on Sunday but I really love it. I've cropped it a bit but not the top edge, that's all I got :( Editing: basically nil, just the obligatory sharpening that the 7d always needs. I'd love to know how to edit it to make it better, and any other suggestions are welcomed. Feel free to edit it to demonstrate your point. thanks in advance.

7245410214_c04305a8ae.jpg

IMG_1183dpptcr by kirislin, on Flickr

Edited by Kirislin

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice moment caught. I wouldn't do much at all - maybe straighten a little, a touch of fill light. I have a bit of a personal 'rule' - I always like to see moments like this in b&w.

I'll try it in B&W. As to straightening, I am guilty of often taking crooked photos, but I think in this case the ground really was sloping, also, I've only just got the young boys head in and if I straighten it, I'll lose a bit more. Do you think that would spoil it?

thanks, I appreciate your opinion.

Edited by Kirislin

I noticed the sloping ground, I would (as in me personally) just try to rotate it a little to see what it looks like. Sometimes it's an improvement, sometimes it's not. My eye keeps getting drawn to the pesky blue car in the background, so the b&w might help that (or it might not).

No more cropping ...

I love the colours:)

All I'd think about (and not really know how to change) is all the highlight/bright bits on the car L of image. that seems to catch my eye first , and detract a bit from the gorgeous boy and dog :)

dammit, that's my friends car! :laugh: I see now what you mean. I cant reduce the highlights on just one part, it would flatten everything, and the strangest things just happened, I tried to do a B&W version and went through all the steps I usually do to save something, and it's disappeared, so I tried a 2nd time, and that ones gone poof! too. If I find them I'll post one here.

what are the settings - to me the background is still a bit too distracting, so I would either open up wider if you could, in order to render it even more OOF, or move the subjects slightly so the cars and pole weren't in the way. Given though that this was obviously a spot moment shot, wider would be the way I would go

I tried to do it with the RAW pics in the HDR program and they disappeared so I've done one like I used to. I tried straightening it but the dog looked crooked, if you look at his front legs, they're vertical now.

I forgot to crop it, this is how it was in camera

7245759978_60aefa6db8.jpg

IMG_1183 B&W by kirislin, on Flickr

Edited by Kirislin

what are the settings - to me the background is still a bit too distracting, so I would either open up wider if you could, in order to render it even more OOF, or move the subjects slightly so the cars and pole weren't in the way. Given though that this was obviously a spot moment shot, wider would be the way I would go

Thanks Linda

It was shot in manual. It was a very quick shot, I'd been photographing the running dogs and just glanced over and saw them together.

T/V 1/2000

AV 4.0

ISO 800

Guest Tess32

I'd make the photo a little larger and then copy and paste the top of the photo in over the top of his head so it's not so close. His head needs more room.

how about an even tighter crop? For me it's about the boy & the dog, so maybe try making it more about them? There's nothing helpful really about the right-hand side of the image. Quickly but you'd have more room/time to play to get it just right ->

oh, btw, I prefer 2:3 aspect ratio for most images, I think it just makes them look more pleasing overall - I think your first one isn't?

post-21501-0-99206700-1337650767_thumb.jpg

Edited by kja