Incidence Of Heartworm In Nsw, Qld & Sa

A recent study was conducted on the incidence of heartworm in NSW, QLD and SA. The findings were presented at this weeks National AVA conference.

I found it interesting that the current infection rate in Australia is now estimated at 0.3% of dogs.

783 pound dogs (with no known history of preventative treatment) were tested and only 2 dogs tested positive. Has the increased use of preventative treatments led to the reduced infection rate, or could it be the drought we have experienced? Only half of Australia's dog population receives preventatives.

Certainly, my dogs wont ever see a SR12 injection, but I'm also going to consider only using prevention in summer.

Thoughts?

Edited by Inevitablue

Sorry - I should have been a bit clearer. I don't mean so much the time span, although that IS pertinent, but rather "when" it was done. IOW, was it conducted over the very dry drought period before the recent rains came?

Edited by Erny

Guest lavendergirl

Was it broken down into States? I would love to know the incidence in Qld.

A recent study was conducted on the incidence of heartworm in NSW, QLD and SA. The findings were presented at this weeks National AVA conference.

I found it interesting that the current infection rate in Australia is now estimated at 0.3% of dogs.

783 pound dogs (with no known history of preventative treatment) were tested and only 2 dogs tested positive. Has the increased use of preventative treatments led to the reduced infection rate, or could it be the drought we have experienced? Only half of Australia's dog population receives preventatives.

Certainly, my dogs wont ever see a SR12 injection, but I'm also going to consider only using prevention in summer.

Thoughts?

Its long been suspected that the drug companies made the infection rate out to be much higher than it is

If you take a good long look at the whole life cycle thing it makes you realise that the risk especially in a healthy dog isnt anywhere near as much an issue that we have been pressured into believing, compromising our dog's immune systems and spending stacks of money

However, the results may have been impacted by the drought - it may be a little higher since the floods - but we all should look at the life cycle , our own variables and make informed decisions.

Thoughts?

Have you got a link to the actual study so I can have a study of it myself?

The incidence of HW used to be quite high before prevention was routinely used, so if you tested a dog that hadn't been on prevention at all, then it was more likely than not that it was come back with a positive test.

The question is, have we created a herd immunity by the more frequent use of prevention? And if we then stop preventing, will we see it rise again slowly?

I was just told there was a positive case in Manly, Sydney just two weeks ago, from a dog that had moved to that area from Western Sydney. So that one dog has the potential to infect other dogs in that area that aren't on prevention - possibly a low risk, but still a possible one.

I'm not one for giving things unnecessarily, but I do believe that like vaccines, they are still important in maintaining herd immunity.

I'm trying to get the paper.

That's the question Stormie, did we influence the drastic drop? When only half the population was ever on preventatives was it us, or the environment mostly responsible for the reduction from over 30% to 0.3%

Interesting to say the least.

I'm still getting bitten by mozzies in Sydney, so mine are still on their monthly tablets

That's the question Stormie, did we influence the drastic drop? When only half the population was ever on preventatives was it us, or the environment mostly responsible for the reduction from over 30% to 0.3%

I'm still getting bitten by mozzies in Sydney, so mine are still on their monthly tablets

Yep I think I will always continue, just like I will always get my puppies vacc'd.

Even in winter, I just couldn't be sure that some of the mozzies aren't coming from homes with heating etc in some way too.

Im not going to post the pdf file here, but the paper is called

'A Cross Section Serological Survey of Shelter Cats & Dogs in Australia to assess the Prevalence of Exposure to, and Infection with Dirofilaria Immitus'

by Dr Sarah Mitchell, Pfizer Animal Health

Just a pet owner here who does breed rescue but I recently adopted a bitch ( rescue) from the Sydney area and she came to me in QLD...she was heartworm positive when she arrived so whatever the studies say I would still be using preventative even in areas where the incidence is low. The treatment not much fun. She is now ok after treatment.

As much as I dislike regularly inflicting chemicals on to my dogs this is the one I always keep up to date. The treatment to cure is pretty bad ( unless it's changed ) and I much prefer prevention. Several years ago the dog next door came down with heartworm after her owner missed a dose.

The incidence of HW used to be quite high before prevention was routinely used, so if you tested a dog that hadn't been on prevention at all, then it was more likely than not that it was come back with a positive test.

The question is, have we created a herd immunity by the more frequent use of prevention? And if we then stop preventing, will we see it rise again slowly?

I was just told there was a positive case in Manly, Sydney just two weeks ago, from a dog that had moved to that area from Western Sydney. So that one dog has the potential to infect other dogs in that area that aren't on prevention - possibly a low risk, but still a possible one.

I'm not one for giving things unnecessarily, but I do believe that like vaccines, they are still important in maintaining herd immunity.

I agree with these posts. If people stop using preventatives then the rate could exponentially rise so I will be keeping my dogs protected.

I would like to know if it was across Australia- because preventatives really aren't necessary right across australia due to their climate- so it would be interesting, like others have said to see what the use of preventatives vs infection across the different states. So the fact that only half the population uses preventatives is probably a little misleading if it includes tasmania and victoria where they are not always required.

As much as I dislike regularly inflicting chemicals on to my dogs this is the one I always keep up to date. The treatment to cure is pretty bad ( unless it's changed ) and I much prefer prevention. Several years ago the dog next door came down with heartworm after her owner missed a dose.

Do you know the details of what preventative she was using Rebanne? Was it a monthly and she only missed one dose because that goes against the inofrmation on the leaflet in my Interceptor Spectrum packet which says:

The regular interval between doses is one month i.e. approx 30days. If you miss your regular monthly treatment by 15 days or less, administer Interceptor Spectrum immediately and resume your monthly dosing schedule. If the intervel is longer than 15 days and up to 30 days, heartworm protection can be maintained if you redose immediately and then maintain regular monthly dosing for the next 2 months. If a period of greater than 60days has elapsed since the last dose, please consult your vet

Very interesting information some Dolers have posted in my recent thread on this. Linky if anyone is interested

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/237758-heartworm-protection-dosage-intervals/

Do you know the details of what preventative she was using Rebanne? Was it a monthly and she only missed one dose because that goes against the inofrmation on the leaflet in my Interceptor Spectrum packet which says:

no idea, sorry. There was a death in the family and at least one dose was missed in the angst but the dog was on a monthly treatment.

I'm happy to do mine every 6 weeks except for 4 months over summer.

A few years back a friend of mine's dog tested positive here in Canberra.

Friend had been told by her vet that heartworm wasn't an issue locally so she didn't use a preventative.... but the dog holidayed on the NSW north coast.