Boarding Kennels Canberra

lokelani

Hello DOLers,

I was wondering if anyone had experience with either Tara boarding kennels or Dogotel out at Hall.

I am going away on a work trip in October, and I usually ask my brother to look after Bosco if I ever have to go away, but being a long weekend he will likely be unavailable so have been looking into boarding kennels. This will be the first time I have ever boarded Bosco, so I am a bit nervous about it really.

I am going out to visit each kennel over the weekend so that I can see them for myself, but any experiences with either would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :)

I've no experience with either of those boarding kennels, sorry.

Can give a good recommendation for Rovers Retreat out at Oallen (past Tarago). It's a long way out, but they do drop offs and pick ups. Kuma spent 6 nights there recently and came back happy!

Good luck, it's such a hard decision. :D

Hi Lokelani

During the last ten years I used Tara annually up until a couple of years ago when I believe they changed hands. I would not recommend them now.

I haven't tried Hall but I have used best friend pet centre in MacGregor and I'm comfortable recommending them. My two dogs can be housed together but must be separated to be fed and they followed these instructions.

If you do end up using Hall I would be very interested to hear how it goes.

Thanks for the reply's so far everyone :)

I had a quick look at Rover's, and they look fabulous, only they do not do pick ups or drop off's on long weekends. We are due back from our trip late afternoon on the Monday public holiday, and I'm not sure I could live an extra night without my boy :laugh: Will definitely keep them in mind should I need someone again though.

And unfortunately with Zoohause, I don't think I could use someone who only 'visits'.. Bosco is a bit of a special needs boy, and when my brother looks after him he actually stays at my house for the duration of the time. Bozzy is a very experienced escape artist so needs to be kept in his run while no one is home, and he can't stay in the house unsupervised as he will destroy it, which I found out the hard way a few years ago. I know I sound fussy, but I don't really want him out in his run for long periods of time with no people to fuss over him, and especially overnight. I know that is what will likely happen in the kennels, but at least he will not be alone so to speak.

I have made appointments now to go and see the others, so I will make sure I have a good look and ask lots of questions :)

Hi Lokelani

During the last ten years I used Tara annually up until a couple of years ago when I believe they changed hands. I would not recommend them now.

I haven't tried Hall but I have used best friend pet centre in MacGregor and I'm comfortable recommending them. My two dogs can be housed together but must be separated to be fed and they followed these instructions.

If you do end up using Hall I would be very interested to hear how it goes.

I am planning to send my girl to Tara for day care when she comes on heat. It is located close to my work so I can go to see her at lunch time and take her for a walk. Would this differ from longer term care?

The only place I would consider in the region is Best Friend at McGregor, and only for short stays. Sorry I can't be more positive, but I have either had poor experiences myself or heard sad/scary things about the others. I won't get specific as last time this subject came up another DOLer got nasty phone calls. I have no association with Best Friend, and we prefer to get a pet sitter in. Others will travel as far as the place in Berrima to get something they are happy with long term.

When I say sad/scary, I mean things like putting a pit bull in with a stafford after being told not to run him with other dogs - yes a fight ensued.

We use Rover's Retreat. I know one person on here has had a bad experience with them but we found them excellent for our two dogs. They came back happy, healthy and it appears that all our instructions (management and health wise) were followed.

Essentially my recommendation would just be to go and look at the places and you will get a feel for whether you feel comfortable leaving your dog there or not.

The only place I would consider in the region is Best Friend at McGregor, and only for short stays. Sorry I can't be more positive, but I have either had poor experiences myself or heard sad/scary things about the others. I won't get specific as last time this subject came up another DOLer got nasty phone calls. I have no association with Best Friend, and we prefer to get a pet sitter in. Others will travel as far as the place in Berrima to get something they are happy with long term.

When I say sad/scary, I mean things like putting a pit bull in with a stafford after being told not to run him with other dogs - yes a fight ensued.

See, this is what worries me.

Bosco is not necessarily a fighter, but he can be reactive, so I have mentioned this to both places and said that he can not be run with other dogs, just incase.

And also the fence jumping. He would have to be supervised carefully if he is allowed to run free. I will have a look at McGregor now.

I definintely plan to go and see for myself any place that I intend to leave Bosco.

Lokelani .. I think going to look yourself is an extremely good idea, everyone has different opinions on what will work. My two are from rescue, will try and escape if given the opportunity and can be reactive sometimes. they spent two weeks in Best Friend during January and I was very happy with their condition on my return. Putting them in kennels is not ideal but I was going overseas and wanted the comfort of knowing they were contained and safe. So this option worked for me. But in an ideal world I would take them with me!

Please do let us know how you go i'm really interested ..

I have used several kennels and a cattery in/around ACT myself but my pets, as most people's would be, are happiest and cope best at home.

I could instead highly recommend two great pet care services who do home visits.

While clearly visists alone wouldn't be enough for Bosco, some pet sitters actually do overnight stays and I know one of these two do - PM me if you want this contact. I'm sure there are others that do this also if you do some digging around.

Don't forget about Don't Fret Pet too - I think they actually care for your dog in their own home with their animals too and match animals with carers - you could try for a carer who was home full-time so Bosco wasn't left alone . I don't have experience with their services as not something I was after but something else to look into.

Edited by Just Andrea

I have used most of the kennels in Canberra that have been mentioned, and cannot recommend any in the region really. Those I haven't used I have had friends use - with terrible consequences.

I now drive the dogs out to friends in the country who take them as a favour.

The only one mentioned that I haven't tried for dogs, in recent years at least, is Best Friend in MacGregor. While I cannot comment on them for dogs, but I did board a cat there who stresses badly at being boarded, and she survived her time there OK. Next time I absolutely need to board dogs locally I'll probably try them.

A colleague boarded her 2 dogs at kennel at Collector a few times and recommended them highly. It was some time ago so not sure if still a going concern. They found it handy on their way to & from Sydney. Maybe worth checking out.

We use to use Tara boarding kennel very regularly for about 12 years and had no issues with them. Pens were kept clean and daily medication was given as requested and our girl was always happy to go there. It's probably been about 6 years since we last needed to use them so can't comment on how they operate now, but if there anything like they use to be for us then I'd reccommend them in a heartbeat.

We use to use Tara boarding kennel very regularly for about 12 years and had no issues with them. Pens were kept clean and daily medication was given as requested and our girl was always happy to go there. It's probably been about 6 years since we last needed to use them so can't comment on how they operate now, but if there anything like they use to be for us then I'd reccommend them in a heartbeat.

Not the same owners now.

Thanks again for all the replies.

I have also enquired with Best Friends and have asked to go and see them.

Fingers crossed I find one that I like, but it definitely won't be a regular thing. As I said I usually get my brother to dog sit for me and I still intend to ask him when I see him tonight, but he usually goes out of town over long weekends.