Good Disinfectants

OSoSwift

There was a freebie given out at last year's Sydney royal called Delete that is impressive. Not cheap but a colleague at work had a little dog with dementia and toileting issues and she found it amazing, at normal strength and also when she was selling her place and had to clean up some extra strong smelly yucky places.

Eta dunno about septic system. I grew up with one and you have to be careful.

Edited by Katdogs

Thats the other thing I am trying to find out, many say they are disinfectants but not that they kill viruses.

I don't really want to use bleach, smells a bit well strong and bleachy :)

Edited by OSoSwift

Yeah, bleach can also burn dog feet, too, if they're not rinsed away properly.

F10 is pretty good. I've got that stuff (correctly diluted) in my eyes before (shh, don't tell my employer) and it didn't feel like anything. It smells, but not in an overbearing way (just in an 'that's F10, not water' way). I understand it's really expensive, though.

Trigene is tops but the company only deals with minimum amounts (can't remember the amount sorry).

F10 is my next choice after.

I wouldn't consider bleach suitable and it will oxidise metal.

Another thing with chemicals to consider is the OH&S risks and I would consider bleach to be a higher risk that Trigene or F10.

Trigene I think is one we used at the vet hospital - thank you will check it out.

I am guessing the risk of Parvo would be less at a boarding kennel than a vet or shelter but I do want something that kills it to be safe

You could alternate days with the Trigene/F10 and regular disinfectant. Might make it a bit cheaper :laugh: Like you said, the risk is not as high, but it is still there (depending on the clients you accept -- I'm assuming you're talking about regular pet owners).

OT but I love the smell of Trigene :crazy:

I love Trigene as well.

I am wondering if a protocal of a cleaner/disinfectant (not the F10 or Trigene) while the dog is there would be acceptable, then f10 or Trigene when they leave and do the walls etc would be seen as competent or if something like F10/ trigene daily is the only way to go?

The clients will all be up to date with vaccinations prior to coming in.

Edited by OSoSwift

Yeah, bleach can also burn dog feet, too, if they're not rinsed away properly.

F10 is pretty good. I've got that stuff (correctly diluted) in my eyes before (shh, don't tell my employer) and it didn't feel like anything. It smells, but not in an overbearing way (just in an 'that's F10, not water' way). I understand it's really expensive, though.

Yeh bleach is just too strong I think. F10 sounds good to use though!

Virkon S is another one - it is a powder ... 50g makes 5 litres or something.

Trigene or F10 are also good but cleaning kennels it will be a bit costly...

Common bleach also works but I far prefer the smell of trigene or F10!

If you only accept dogs with vaccinations/titre testing and don't take young pups the risk would be fairly minimal. You may just want to use a regular disinfection to do a thorough clean and a mist of the cages with the parvicide once dry.