Kennel Cough

Hi everyone,

This is just a bit of a Public Service Announcement regarding Kennel Cough:

I'm just back from the vet with my boy who has Kennel Cough. He is vaccinated, but not all types are covered in the vacc. We can't be 100% sure where he got it, but think he may have picked it up at Castle Hill Showground the week before last (incubation is around 10 days), so if you've been to the Showground, just be aware- his started with runny nose and sneezing a few days before the coughing. Luckily, we've been slack stay at homes the past few weeks, apart from that trip to classes at the Showground, so it does narrow down where we probably picked up the bug, although we can never be 100% certain.

Would you guys suggest avoiding Castle Hill Showground? I have training there tonight. Would love to get the training in for the Nationals, but also don't want to have to miss the Nationals due to Kennel Cough!

Kavic,

I can't say avoid training, as I don't know enough about Kennel Cough- best to phone your vet for advice. My boy was there on the 17th, so that's 14 days ago, but we don't know exactly when or where he picked it up- just a suspicion that it was teh Showgrounds, as it's really the only place we've been to teh past few weeks, been slack with walkies etc. If you do go, don't let the dogs drink from any water collected there in buckets etc.

I'm keeping away tonight because we are infectious at the moment, so don't want anyone to be infected by us. There may be other dogs who have it but owners may not have noticed the early signs. I emailed the club, so I hope they'll send out an announcement to keep an eye on the dogs.

Bring out the Active Manuka Honey. If you're in the area and/or have been on the grounds where it has been, give your dogs a dose or two or three. If your dogs have it, use it to sooth the throat and provide the antibacterial and immune system support stuff that it does. The higher the UMF the better. Aim for 20 UMF or upwards.

Would you guys suggest avoiding Castle Hill Showground? I have training there tonight. Would love to get the training in for the Nationals, but also don't want to have to miss the Nationals due to Kennel Cough!

I was there a couple of weeks back (weekend before last) with a baby puppy and 2 adults. None of them have contracted Canine Cough...

I went last night (was also there 2 weeks ago) and while they suggested no sharing of toys and water bowls to be on the safe side, they said that they had not heard of any cases apart from the one mentioned here - the obedience club had not heard of any either (had been contacted) and most of the people who were there last night were also there 2 weeks ago (the 17th that OP was).

Actually if you do a bit of research (which I have just done :laugh: ) the most frequent incubation period is around 2-5 days. I did find one link that said 2-14 days but most said a shorter period of time.

My own experience with Canine Cough caught at dog parks with obviously infected dogs (:mad) was around 3 days.

It's a pain in the arse isn't it and worrying even though most dogs will recover with no treatment!

• 1 month later...

I have heard about many exhibitors dogs coming down with Kennel cough this winter in Melbourne - especially at KCC Park. Luckily I have not shown there for a few weeks but I am alittle wary about showing there in the near future. What is others view on this - could my dogs catch it too or should I stay away for the moment to be on the safe side.

I have heard about many exhibitors dogs coming down with Kennel cough this winter in Melbourne - especially at KCC Park. Luckily I have not shown there for a few weeks but I am alittle wary about showing there in the near future. What is others view on this - could my dogs catch it too or should I stay away for the moment to be on the safe side.

IMO it's a call only you can make, based on the risks you want to take. Your dog could pick up Kennel Cough anywhere - even just out and about on a walk.

Actually if you do a bit of research (which I have just done :laugh: ) the most frequent incubation period is around 2-5 days. I did find one link that said 2-14 days but most said a shorter period of time.

My own experience with Canine Cough caught at dog parks with obviously infected dogs (:mad) was around 3 days.

It's a pain in the arse isn't it and worrying even though most dogs will recover with no treatment!

Yes. It's not such a big worry as some may think PROVIDED it does not develop into Phenomia. It's good to listen careful to see if the type of cough changes. If it goes from dry cough to a rattly chesty cough...problems. However, this is only likely to happen if the dog is in a cold, damp, drafty enviroment. It's a chest infection such as trachial bronchitis (the coughs we get) and with or without anti biotics it can take up to around 3 weeks to recover, but I've had symptoms ease within the week in my experience, both with and without anti-biotics. The manuka honey is very useful treament both symptomatic and to help recovery by boosting the immune system.