Previously Toiled Trained Pup Suddenly Pee'ing Inside Again?

NOCTRL

My SBT Arby is 10 months old, he hasn't had an 'accident' inside since he was maybe 5.5months old. He was rather easy to toilet train, i could count on two hands the amount of times he ever pee'd inside.

He gets taken outside regularly and toilets on command. And will hold it until you take him out.

Last night, and again just now, he's pee'd in the lounge room, right in front of me. I didn't catch him doing it last night but tonight he just squatted in front of me. He hasn't been inside for ages or anything, i don't think it was a matter of 'im busting and can't hold it mum!'

Is it normal for them to 'relapse'? He is entire still (though will be neutered in coming months), he doesn't cock his leg at all, could it be some form of scent marking?? Or is he going through the puppy equivilent of the terrible twos? Or is he just being a little jerk? :laugh:

Any ideas?

X arby's mum

Thanks for the suggestions - i hadn't thought of UTI. It might be possible, i notice when i take him out for a wee lately it's only a very small one (which i put down to him not really needing to go but knowing he doesn't come back inside until he's been).

I will get a wee sample and take him off to the vet for a checkup on Tuesday. Other than this he is good, eating well, hyper as always and seems happy so hopefully its something simple like a UTI.

My puppy went through a phase at 9-10 months where he had some accidents, he was house trained by 6 months too. I discovered it was my fault, I had gotten slack, not taking him out as much and when he did go outside I usually wouldn't reward, while previously I rewarded nearly every time.

So we went back to basics, took him outside at least once per hour and rewarded him every, which fixed it in no time, no accidents since then and he's nearly 2 now.

As per fuzzy83. We went through it at about 10 months and then again at about 14 months. And it was just me being slack and having to get back in to a routine and regular praise/reward. After the 14 months issue we didn't have the issue again! It was almost as if she went - "oh now I get it"!!

• 3 weeks later...

Thought i'd just add an update incase anyone stumbles upon this wondering the same thing;

Took Arby to the vet for a urinalysis - came back all clear. Vet suggests as most of you have - a behavioural thing / growing boy scent marking.

Ive been making sure ive been praising him like crazy when he goes outside and he's been getting better.

I felt silly when the vet said nothing was wrong, but relieved. Better safe than sorry i guess!