Photo Finish

tlc

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yelled at them, felt bad for the place loaning them such wonderful cameras, god the guy who couldn't work out why it was taking so long to shoot and no idea what F stop he was on - Dick Smith even knew more about it than him

I watched it and was like "take some photos!!!!" I think they were over thinking it re: lighting and less about the content of the photo. I think they should have tried to connect more with their subjects. I was shocked that they had very little knowledge despite their portfolios as presented on the website.

...and it wasnt me :D

I think it would be really tricky using a studio and a new camera for the first time as well as being on TV and in the company of Vince!

I was a bit shocked when the guy seemed like he didn't understand about F stops but I thought maybe he was just confused about how to adjust the settings on that particular camera?

I can't believe I missed it again!

it competes with my regular Dr Who (despite the fact I've seen them all before - oh except last week)

I've been stuffing up the days this week though so that's my other excuse, bugger :(

ah just found it on iview, going to catch up now :)

I just finished watching it, so glad that lady won she did a good job considering she had never used an slr before, she didn't even know how to review the photos. When the guy was piling the rocks up I just thought what the :confused: :laugh: he was so out of his usual element, he was lucky when that waterfall came along! :laugh:

Anyone else watch this week?

I am watching. I liked the winning one the best however I kept wanting to move the diaginal line down the photo just a bit and wished the background was just that tiny bit clearer to give more of a hint of what lay beyond.

Yea I thought the same, I thnk she must have shot that shot before it cleared a bit because I'm sure she was in a similar spot when she said she could see the town beyond the mountain, I kept trying to look thought the fog. It was a mysterious photo in the end.

I liked the winning image this week, I think they chose well.

I also did laugh at the fact that a 5d mkII was shown twice on TV last night.. after this show finished I flicked over to Hamish and Andy Gap Year and there was Hamish shooting with one lol.

I did think they made the best choice for winner this week, but would have liked to have seen a bit more context with the shot. The waterfall shot was just a safe choice, he should have taken a risk on a more representative photo. The macro was nice but not really fitting the brief. I'm not sure about them all being capable of being professionals, that was a bit of a presumptuous comment.

I just finished watching it, so glad that lady won she did a good job considering she had never used an slr before, she didn't even know how to review the photos. When the guy was piling the rocks up I just thought what the :confused: :laugh: he was so out of his usual element, he was lucky when that waterfall came along! :laugh:

Anyone else watch this week?

Yeah I think she did great :thumbsup: She had a such a great attitude as well :)

We also had a lugh when he began piling up the rocks :laugh: I think he psyched himself out a little; which was his main problem.

I also liked the macro, but it wasn't very landscapey. I think they chose the best image.

The guy with the rock pile was to me over thinking everything. I agreed with the winner. Was I the only one shuddering as the cameras got soaked in sleet and rain?????

typo

Edited by redangel

At the very least the lady at the top of the mountain could have had her lens hood on! I think the 5D is weather resistant but I still found myself wishing she would hide it under her jumper when she wasnt shooting! :laugh: she must have been freezing.

At the very least the lady at the top of the mountain could have had her lens hood on! I think the 5D is weather resistant but I still found myself wishing she would hide it under her jumper when she wasnt shooting! :laugh: she must have been freezing.

She said she accidentally left everything except the camera and that lens in the car. She even left the lens cap in the car!

i wrote a reply to this already and it disappeared into cyberspace :(

ditto rev jo:

I'm not sure about them all being capable of being professionals, that was a bit of a presumptuous comment.

I'm not sure either, maybe that statement should have been qualified with if they spent years practising in their chosen field there is the potential for them to become professionals? ;)

borders on insulting for those who have done just that, on the flip-side why couldn't they be professionals, it really only takes a certain eye for it that needs nurturing, including the choice of image? passion or technical expertise?

in my lost post I added something about the history of photography where some images were produced without such skill or knowledge, of even them being very good at the time, but rather an interest in capturing certain things, that are now considered part of photographic greatness

And again, having said that, I understand them having not the knowledge or skills with the tools (camera/lights etc.) and areas they have been assigned, let alone the time, I think that they've done very well, however, I wouldn't say that any of the images presented so far would be considered professional?

I thought they made the right choice last week, but the week before I preferred the Vince shot if only for the quirkiness of it

Yeah, you can't really judge whether someone can turn professional based on one shoot. You can get a great shot by luck and it is insulting to those of us who have spent years learning the principles of photography. They may be good enough or they may not, who can tell from one photo.

It's such a subjective profession too, to those who are professional, quite often I look at pros photography and think meh and don't like anything about it. And similarly look at amateur stuff and think it's fabulous. It's all a matter of taste in a lot of cases. I looked at some pics my 10 year old nephew took recently and thought this boy has potential.

At the start of each show they show a selection of photos from each person and I thought the lady who's photo won, her photos were really just family snaps. Yet the guys photos looked quite ok and yet he was so out of his element on the mountain.

It's great hearing what others think especially with a show like this where it really is just run of the mill everyday people having a go.

I consider a professional as someone who knows photographic principles well and can apply them, even if they don't usually do so. You should be able to put a pro in front of an unfamiliar subject or scene and they should be able to produce something decent. So to me, having both creativity and technical knowledge. I think the rules for some organisations is that you make at least 20% of your income from photography to be considered professional? The amount that you earn (if any) doesn't come into it for me, I've seen woeful "pros" and fantastic amateurs. I know things have changed a lot now that digital has made it easier to take photos but I still like to see some skill and knowing how to shoot manual etc is important!