Adoption Fee "s

Guest muttrus

Guest muttrus

I was just interested to know about adoption fee and how you come to a price?

all our adults are donation while the puppies are $400 BUT I vary the adoption fee depending on a number of things For dogs that have had limited interest or been in care for awhile I will drop the price I often have specials like a bonus bag of food .While my vet doesn"t offer me huge discounts and I can only use one vet due to transport.

While the adoption fee covers vet work food flea treatments and such when I offer a lower price it may JUST cover my costs or be left short .BUT I never go above the $400 no matter wether they have been a hidden unforseen vet cost.

I recently saw dogs/puppies on pet rescue for $650 I believe they were pure breds but am I wrong in thinking no matter the breed a rescued dog or cat is just that RESCUED therefore breed for cost shouldn"t really come into it.I saw a pure bred golden ret under a year old at the pound for $180 .

I have also seen alot of adoption fees really low at the moment some are cheaper than my vet bills .I always try to keep my fee"s as fair as possible .all our dogs are x breeds so my fees are based on the costs to me only never the breed or sex or wether he/she is so cute hahahahha.

I don"t mean this thread to turn into nasty I just noticed some changes around lately ------

I was just interested to know about adoption fee and how you come to a price?

all our adults are donation while the puppies are $400 BUT I vary the adoption fee depending on a number of things For dogs that have had limited interest or been in care for awhile I will drop the price I often have specials like a bonus bag of food .While my vet doesn"t offer me huge discounts and I can only use one vet due to transport.

While the adoption fee covers vet work food flea treatments and such when I offer a lower price it may JUST cover my costs or be left short .BUT I never go above the $400 no matter wether they have been a hidden unforseen vet cost.

I recently saw dogs/puppies on pet rescue for $650 I believe they were pure breds but am I wrong in thinking no matter the breed a rescued dog or cat is just that RESCUED therefore breed for cost shouldn"t really come into it.I saw a pure bred golden ret under a year old at the pound for $180 .

I have also seen alot of adoption fees really low at the moment some are cheaper than my vet bills .I always try to keep my fee"s as fair as possible .all our dogs are x breeds so my fees are based on the costs to me only never the breed or sex or wether he/she is so cute hahahahha.

I don"t mean this thread to turn into nasty I just noticed some changes around lately ------

Maybe it's time that a good dog was valued accordingly?

People pay up to $2000 for the pet dog of their choice and they pay a lot more than that for other interests, hobbies and passions they have. Why should a good dog's value be limited to $400? Especially if the demand is very high?

Guest muttrus

If thats the case then I believe all my dogs are so good they"d be priceless .

It would be nice to measure their fee on how great they are but it doesn"t work that way so my fee is based on covering my cost and enjoying the dog while in my care then being able to offer him/her into someone elses life for them to love .

Believe me or not I wasn"t making personal attacks on anyone just noticing some changes in the ever revolving world of rescue

We have a $400 fee, regardless of age, breed, etc.

Sometimes this covers us, other times it doesn't (if those Luxating Patellas get us one more time...!)

I generally just have the mentality that, to me personally (and not imposing this on anyone), every dog in our care is worth the same. We've never had a problem with the fee, so haven't needed to lower it for any dog, but wouldn't be against that if it turned out the fee was detrimental to a dog getting adopted.

I think keeping the fee reasonable (not too cheap, not too high) ensures that good homes, who may not be made of money but that can support a dog for its lifetime, should always come before trying to making profit on a particular breed.

Good question really...

Most dogs are around $350 ( Covers vet costs.. just)

Older dogs who have had vet work done previously could be as low as $150.. That just makes it easier to rehome them..

It's a bit of a hard call at times.. If we make them too cheap they wont get the appreciation they deserve but if too expensive people wont even look..

Shame really when the pet shop sells pups for around $ 1000 with only minimal vet work..

Again it really depends on what support the rescue group has and how much the vet fees are.. We cant always run at a loss and goodwill & donations are often hard to come by.

Let's face it - some breeds or breed mixes are more "desirable" by Joe Public. If you can get a decent price for those "desirable" dogs, then any profit made helps go towards those that you'll never recoup costs on.

There is no rule that says rescue should be run at a loss - quite the contrary - it should be run just like any other business. Not-for-profit does not equate to no profit, it means that any profit made goes back into the business to help it grow.

T.

We have to price the dogs at what the market will pay. I agree with what Plan B said, that I think rescue finds a good balance between too much and not enough.

ETA: The price of rescue animals has gone up slightly since I started in rescue years ago. Only by about $100 though which is a small price rise compared to the cost of living :eek:

Edited by shmoo

There is no rule that says rescue should be run at a loss - quite the contrary - it should be run just like any other business. Not-for-profit does not equate to no profit, it means that any profit made goes back into the business to help it grow.

T.

I feel that a rescue should price its animals with the goal to break even. Whilst it is not quite right to make a profit on said animals, a reputable rescue would use that profit back into the charity (raising awareness, supporting foster carers, extra advertising etc)

$300.00 even if the vet work costs us more, obviously some dogs we save on as they may not need vet work or as much. We believe in our breed if we charge any more than that people can just go to a BYB and get a cheap puppy. I personaly feel $300 is an affordable rate for a rescue dog.

It generally costs us $500.00 to prepare a dog for adoption....the giant sized dog is more expensive when it comes to vet work and feed an maintainence - I wouldn't dream of charging $500.00 for a rescue though.

We run weekly raffles, sell products, accept donations - all different ways for us to financially survive without putting people off with high adoption rates.

We also generally waive the adoption fee at the time of the actual adoption for special needs dogs.

Great Dane Rescue is actually busy nationaly, people get a bit shocked wen we tell them the numbers as we're breed specific of a unique breed....so far this year the number sits at 71 Danes, last year it reached 200 nationaly - our concern (generally speaking as each state is run as seperate entities) is to get these Danes into the right homes and provide education rather than charge $1,000 for Danes which you can find them (Adults) for (BYB) in the Trading Post or Gumtree - my opinion which may not be popular is just because you can charge a higher rate doesn't always mean that is the best thing. The best home could be with someone whose looking at paying a 'normal' adoption rate not a breeder rate.

Edited by sas

At Sydney Animal Second-Chance Inc.the rescue group I work with our adoption fees are generally $380/$400,for dogs, $150/$200 cats and kittens, which includes all vet work deemed necessary,desexing, microchipping,Council registration and heart worm test.

For any golden oldie we reduce the adoption fee to $150/$200, depending on age,health etc.

Edited by honeybun

Our adoption fee is $200 but with costs going up, it's likely we'll have to increase it as we're already running in the red (which isn't ideal).

I think adoption fees are something that's also decided a bit by breed. Popular breeds can support a higher fee and the same seems to apply for puppies.

Koolie Rescue does not charge but we are very very careful about where out dogs go and check up on them later.

So all your dogs are free to a good home??

Yes they are but they have to be a very good home. People generally ask how much the dog has cost us in desexing, etc., and most make a generous donation which covers the costs.

Edited by Perry's Mum