Dogs Nsw Day - We're Trying Herding Tomorrow!

Katdogs

Stevie and I had a FANTASTIC time! We came home covered in mud but with new collars for the girls with their names and phone number stitched on! Lots of food samples and brochures for all sorts of interesting things. Stevie was very well behaved with all the dogs she met, even the rude Tibbies - I didn't know Tibbies hate big black dogs, but I cuddled a Tibby pup anyway :) There were amazing dogs and friendly breeders to chat to. We had a good talk to a Lab breeder at the combined retriever club stall. We also had a go at Rally-o - yet another sport where Stevie could be a superstar if I could only tell left from right! The trainer was very impressed with Stevie's focus, until I revealed the bit of ham and cheese toastie in my hand!

Our only hiccup was having to buy a vegetarian pig's ear because Stevie helped herself. She was bored with the puzzle toys and I was still trying to work one out when I realised what she'd done.

We'll go again next year. I'm also keen to take Jodie to EP for herding!

ETA Inevitablue did I meet you when I was buying my toastie? VERY handsome blue dog.

Edited by Katdogs

We walked down towards the herding but all I could see were wet sheep huddled together. I didn't realise it was 'herding on request' and you were all huddled under the cover until I met someone at the food stall getting coffee to warm up - she had a nice blue dog who was very interested in my beautiful Stevie :) It was late in the afternoon and the herding area was like a bog.

We walked down towards the herding but all I could see were wet sheep huddled together. I didn't realise it was 'herding on request' and you were all huddled under the cover until I met someone at the food stall getting coffee to warm up - she had a nice blue dog who was very interested in my beautiful Stevie :) It was late in the afternoon and the herding area was like a bog.

It was and the dogs very muddy but happy :laugh: . We had cancelled the normal training because of the wet and just demonstrated herding to people and let their dogs see the sheep to see if they were interested.

We'll go again next year. I'm also keen to take Jodie to EP for herding!

ETA Inevitablue did I meet you when I was buying my toastie? VERY handsome blue dog.

Yes! That was Zac, he is my furry blue teddy bear :) He is a real sweetie but thought everything regardless of sex (and most likely species) was in season today. His brains are a bit blown having his girl in season. Sorry if he was greeting the wrong end of Stevie :o

Hope we see you at herding soon

Zac is ok, sniffing is quite polite compared with many entire males who meet Stevie. She's desexed but apparently attractive anyway :shrug:

If we come on a Sunday my husband can come too, so I hope to see you at herding soon too!

T nice idea but the traffic is too hard to the rescue!

ETA Stevie has crawled into Maggot's warmest bed and curled up for sleep, even though we're still making dinner. Being (mostly) good for a few hours is hard work!

Edited by Katdogs

Nice day :) I missed lots of the stuff I wanted to see like herding and the greys, and didn't see much of the utility stand too which was sad, but it was a good day.

I took my mum who had a lovely long chat to the two lovely ladies with Wheatens. She got a dog out of the pound 30 yrs ago that she is convinced was a wheaten (I've told her it's pretty unlikely but she's convinced!) and she loved meeting them all and talking about them with the breeders. She's even more convinced and they were so open, friendly and encouraging. Exactly the kind of image that promotes purebred dogs so well :thumbsup:

The SBT were just so stunning. God the pedigree dogs are just a far cry from the generic 'staffy' you see everywhere. I'm an Amstaff/Pit kind of girl generally but I could certainly fall for a pedigree SBT.

I think I saw everything except recognisable DOLers! We need a signal of some sort :)

I'm NOT a pit bull/am staff sort of person in general, although I've met more nice ones than not-nice, but a really good SBT is always welcome here. My neighbour breeds great dogs and they are very funny little monkeys with their talking and smiles!

Nice day :) I missed lots of the stuff I wanted to see like herding and the greys, and didn't see much of the utility stand too which was sad, but it was a good day.

I took my mum who had a lovely long chat to the two lovely ladies with Wheatens. She got a dog out of the pound 30 yrs ago that she is convinced was a wheaten (I've told her it's pretty unlikely but she's convinced!) and she loved meeting them all and talking about them with the breeders. She's even more convinced and they were so open, friendly and encouraging. Exactly the kind of image that promotes purebred dogs so well :thumbsup:

The SBT were just so stunning. God the pedigree dogs are just a far cry from the generic 'staffy' you see everywhere. I'm an Amstaff/Pit kind of girl generally but I could certainly fall for a pedigree SBT.

If your Mum wants to chat some more, there is a Facebook group called SCWT Down Under.

If your Mum wants to chat some more, there is a Facebook group called SCWT Down Under.

Thanks for that Sheridan! She gets on facebook every now and then so I'll let her know to check it out. I said to her, even if her dog wasn't a Wheaten, it looked very much like one and from what the breeders were describing had an incredibly similar temperament too - so either way it sounds like the Wheaten is a dog for her in the future! This dog died when I was only a year old (I'm 24 now) and I still hear all about her. :)

Just back from the show , they pulled a good crowd for such a wet day . Would of stayed longer if not so cold and miserable . I got lots of Rottie pats and met Bretty the stafford :D

I bet that was like finding a needle in a haystack LOL

Hopefully has was well mannered and only put two muddy paws on you

He was a true gentleman Hun ,you must be proud of Bretty :D He was so easy to find just had to look for the little Staffy built like a

s*** house ! :laugh:

Thanks for that Sheridan! She gets on facebook every now and then so I'll let her know to check it out. I said to her, even if her dog wasn't a Wheaten, it looked very much like one and from what the breeders were describing had an incredibly similar temperament too - so either way it sounds like the Wheaten is a dog for her in the future! This dog died when I was only a year old (I'm 24 now) and I still hear all about her. :)

Officially, the first wheatens were imported into Australia by the Annubis kennel but my wheatens' breeder swears one of his neighbours had them as farm dogs in the 1950s and 60s, so you never know!

Your mum is more than welcome to have a chat with me if she wants, too. Flick me an email if you want. :)

• 4 weeks later...