7 Month Female Labrador Being Too Protective?

Chikko Baby

I have a 7 month old female Labrador puppy who has always been overly loving and friendly to her family and strangers alike. She's never shown fear or any form of aggression towards people until a few times recently. She has always been very submissive and cautious of other dogs, but not scared.

On 3 separate occasions while I have been walking her, we have been approached by people who want to play or say hello, usually she let's them, but on these occasions she was very stand offish, barking at them, and would not let them any where near me or her. The people look at me like my lovely puppy is a terrible violent monster!! On one of the occasions we were just walking past a man who didn't even try to approach, and still she behaved like this. I don't understand though, cos sometimes she let's strangers near without this problem, and always children and other dogs. I'm worried because I didn't think that this was a typical Labrador trait?? Should I be worried?? I would hate for her to get too protective or scared one day and have her snap at someone, whose intentions were good. The other thing is, when these people first start to approach her, she becomes very excited, wagging her whole body and seems happy for them to approach, and then she just suddenly changes her mind once they get too close. Strange.

Has she had any bad experiences? Might just be a new awareness stage but you would need to find a way around this behavior.

No she has had no bad experiences that I'm aware of. I'm hoping it's just a stage that she will grow out of.

My lab pup who is nearly 9 months old doesn't like when people are wearing beanies or hoodies and sometimes sunglasses if the people take them off before trying to meet her she's generally more accepting.

..it does sound like a fear reaction... and it can be triggered by scent/body language/shape /manner of walking /voice pitch/sound... all sorts of things.

have you read in this thread ? LINK

there is THIS relevant to you, perhaps :)

• Second Fear Period (8 - 16 Months)As puppies become what is called gangly, long legs due to growth spurts, they seem to become a little weaker in nerve than previously noted.

It's strange sounds, new sights that often spook a dog more easily than just a week ago... It's at this time we need to be good leaders, when your dog baulks at a stairway, keep walking at full pace to show your pup all is ok.

Coddling him when he shows fear will re enforce that fear & you will have to work to get over it later.More training now is crucial to his behavioural development.

Edited by persephone

She has been spayed at 5 months on vet recommendation so that can't be the problem. Nothing really led me to think she was being protective, just the only thing that made sense at the times. But now after reading about the fear thing, it's probably more likely to be that. She has been well socialized with people and dogs so hopefully we won't have too many other issues, and shell grow out of it. Thanx everyone!

I have a 7 month old female Labrador puppy who has always been overly loving and friendly to her family and strangers alike. She's never shown fear or any form of aggression towards people until a few times recently. She has always been very submissive and cautious of other dogs, but not scared.

On 3 separate occasions while I have been walking her, we have been approached by people who want to play or say hello, usually she let's them, but on these occasions she was very stand offish, barking at them, and would not let them any where near me or her. The people look at me like my lovely puppy is a terrible violent monster!! On one of the occasions we were just walking past a man who didn't even try to approach, and still she behaved like this. I don't understand though, cos sometimes she let's strangers near without this problem, and always children and other dogs. I'm worried because I didn't think that this was a typical Labrador trait?? Should I be worried?? I would hate for her to get too protective or scared one day and have her snap at someone, whose intentions were good. The other thing is, when these people first start to approach her, she becomes very excited, wagging her whole body and seems happy for them to approach, and then she just suddenly changes her mind once they get too close. Strange.

Second fear period.

Don't push her, if she's not comfortable with people don't let them approach. Who cares what they think. Pushing her to be friendly to make someone else feel better could have some nasty consequences and will likely make the behaviour worse - not better, your dogs well-being is more important.