Probably Being Silly

ruthjones

Hi all,

According to calculations, Patches is due the 4th July, based on when she stood for the dog best, but given that could easily be out a few days.

And given she is whiny, groany and panting tonight.

Is it completely pathetic for me to sleep beside her?

I could spend the next week doing this!

Ruth

Dogs don't read the books...keep an eye out...I've had bitches go on day 58 after mating, and as long as 65. It's not a case of when she 'stood the best' it's when she was ovulating. Some of my girls are absolute tarts and in the end, you gotta go by progesterone to know precisely.

Hi all,

According to calculations, Patches is due the 4th July, based on when she stood for the dog best, but given that could easily be out a few days.

Ruth

If she hasn't already whelped you could try taking her temperature. Take it minimum 3 times per day and record it. Graph style as per hospital chart is useful. When it dips below 37 dramatically, ie don't worry about gradual dips, it has to be an obvious plunge, then you will probably have whelping begin 12 - 24 hours later.

Many people say this doesn't work but I've been doing it religiously with my girls for some years now and have it worked out and it most definitely DOES work on the majority of bitches. Keeping the records has also been useful when things have gone pearshaped and required veterinary intervention because vets have been able to immediately see when/where things started to go badly and what they need to do at that moment to make things right (ie temp dips, temp spikes, contractions, water breaking, panting, nesting etc). Some bitches also keep to a pattern so your information this time may help next time.

Ruth

No, sleep beside her. Even if not due you will feel better.

I have also had a girl that had day 58 pups, 3 times. All ok.

The pups may be shuffling around & giving her false signals so she thinks its almost time & is behaving accordingly.

Well I stayed with her last night, and eventually she just went to sleep, however this morning she appeared to pee like at least half a litre, I'm inclined to think it was actually her waters breaking (I doubt her bladder could hold this much at the moment) however everything suggests that waters breaking is more of a slow leak, so either she is peeing for Australia in the Olympics or I am over thinking everything. You know how when yo are looking for the signs it seems that everything fits them in a way lol.

She seems to be sleeping now, breathing fairly heavily, but my mind is wondering if she is actually having mild contractions, gosh this is all so complicated!

Every day I learn more that I don't know!

Thanks all

Ruth

If you don't already have it in your library, I strongly suggest getting hold of a copy of the book Everydog. It's an Australian book. A bit dated in some areas but has really good information about whelping in it. This was my bible when I first started out. I had umpteen dozen others but this one was the one I kept coming back to.

Hi all,

Ruth

Was there a mating before the day she stood best? Even that could have been a few days after ovulation so she could be due several days before you think she is. I have also had them in pre-labour for up to nearly 3 days before going into true labour. If you really think her waters have broken and she is not in proper labour today, a vet check is in order.

Do the temperature in the bottom - hold thermometer against the wall though - do it a few times a day and watch for a fall to 37 or less - I asked my repro vet about the panting and he said the pressure of pups on lungs can cause this - I have sat up all night with a panting girl and then not pups till a day or so later. Always stand with her if she goes outside to relieve herself - have had two girls squat to do a pee - and a pup pops out. I always look for a slimy discharge too that seems to tell you they are on the way - be prepared for a few sleepless nights though - goes with the territory.,

Hope all goes to plan for you and your girl.

Well I stayed with her last night, and eventually she just went to sleep, however this morning she appeared to pee like at least half a litre, I'm inclined to think it was actually her waters breaking (I doubt her bladder could hold this much at the moment) however everything suggests that waters breaking is more of a slow leak, so either she is peeing for Australia in the Olympics or I am over thinking everything. You know how when yo are looking for the signs it seems that everything fits them in a way lol.

She seems to be sleeping now, breathing fairly heavily, but my mind is wondering if she is actually having mild contractions, gosh this is all so complicated!

Thanks all

Ruth

When Crystals waters broke both times there was quite a puddle. Take her temperature at least 4 times a day if you do.

Thanks all

Ruth

Did the wee have that smell like amniotic fluid? That is usually a good indication. My girl has started labour today and I can smell it on her. Good luck. You may have to join the June thread.

Kerry :)

Edited by Puglodge

I think you should take her to your repro vet. If the waters have broken, and nothing else has happened, it isn't all good.

It does seem rather early, but on the other hand, some bitches do whelp early.

Hi all,

Ruth

Hi my girl had false labour signs about a week before welping ever night .she went day 61 from first mating.I tried temp but she never went below 37.2 but saying that she did have a temp drop from about 37.8 to 37.2 so i would not say it does not work i think u should be looking for a drop not so much below 37.all best

Hi my girl had false labour signs about a week before welping ever night .she went day 61 from first mating.I tried temp but she never went below 37.2 but saying that she did have a temp drop from about 37.8 to 37.2 so i would not say it does not work i think u should be looking for a drop not so much below 37.all best

MOST bitches drop below 37. However, the exception is the bitches who have a normally higher or even lower temperature (normal temp is 38.5 but this can vary from 37.2 - 39.2 depending upon the individual). The only way to know for sure is to take temperatures for a week or so prior so that you can establish a baseline for your bitch. Then when the temp drops around a full degree in one hit (not a gradual creeping down) it is a fairly reliable indication that whelping will begin with 12 - 24 hours. Many people miss the drop, it doesn't necessarily STAY down.

Okay, morning temp 37.9, night temp 37.5

A bit of clear mucous, (sticky/stringy clear fluid on checking vulva, not obvious externally though, I figure she is cleaning herself)

Appetite still very strong, doesn't appear in any distress, does seem awkward, but heck, I would be too lol.

She is still looking happy and upbeat, wandering around, wagging her tail, very spooky though

Maybe she just peed lol, it looked a lot but maybe she didn't like the toilet location I chose (front yard, away from all the other dogs etc just in case) and so held on until she conceded to my choice.,

I guess the presence of the mucous says it will be in the next few days, which I knew roughly anyway based on numbers,

I wish that our girls could put an x on a calendar on the day they plan to have their pups!

This time isn't ringing alarm bells like last time around though, am watching her body language, she isn't acting like anything is wrong for her, so until something suggests it is, I think I just need to stop over analyzing every big pee she does!

Heck she let me know she wanted me last night, so will let her set the rules until my gut says something is wrong (at least we don't have a green discharge before a puppy this time)

I think sometimes I'm missing the forests for the trees, of course she is a bit awkward and uncomfortable, she is about to give birth within the next week at the latest to multiple babies!

Ruth

I would be watching her closer now, especially if she has just lost her mucous plug...

My girl lost hers at 10am and the 1st pup was born at 12.15am, so just over 14 hours later smile.gif...

Good Luck...

But on the other hand, it may not BE the mucous plug...I've had girls who have had a "slimy" discharge (like egg white) for some days prior to whelping.

Dear Patches,

I love you, whenever you feel like having these babies is fine, take your time, no hurry,

But please, stop messing with my mind!

Going off your food I assumed it was nearly time, to then change your mind and decide you were hungry after all was just mean!

Yours lovingly

Your doting servant

Ruth

Note to self: raw chicken pieces no longer wanted, must buy lots of royal canin starter mousse, because now that is all she will eat!

Wishing I had bought more than the 12 cans I ordered!

I would be watching her closer now, especially if she has just lost her mucous plug...

My girl lost hers at 10am and the 1st pup was born at 12.15am, so just over 14 hours later smile.gif...

Good Luck...

But on the other hand, it may not BE the mucous plug...I've had girls who have had a "slimy" discharge (like egg white) for some days prior to whelping.

My girl had the slimy discharge for a few days before as well.

That's it Patches, I quit, stop teasing! Fancy that, whines and carries on loudly, suddenly rips her bed to pieces, ok, I figure it must be time, get my supply tray out, sit down beside her, she comes over out of her box, and promptly falls asleep on my lap.

I'm sure it will be funny once they are safely here, but at the moment, that is just cruel girl.

Don't worry, I don't really quit, love her too much, and have an attack of the guilts at looking at her poor stretched tummy and remembering, oh yeah, being pregnant sucked! Sorry girl

Ruth