New Staffy Puppy This Weekend

--B--

Hi B. Please don't take the comments of some people on here personally it really is just that we are passionate and the health and well being of all dogs. Unfortunately some BYBs (as it appears the breeder where you got Sweep from) do not seem to care about the health and well being of the dogs they breed. :mad

I bought Jenna from what was probably a Puppy Farm. It was the wrong thing to do and I think a part of me realised it wasn't the best place to buy a puppy from (the internet) but i did not know about puppy farms. Had someone pointed the fact out to me when I was buying Jenna, in all honesty I probably would have gone ahead and bought her :mad . I know that sounds dreadful but I'm being totally honest with myself. At that point I had already fallen in love with her. I suspect this is what has happened with you. Be honest, people will respect that. I have learnt all about the right way and the wrong way to buy a puppy now and I have Mya, a rescue, and Luka a purebred (with papers) Australian Shepherd. :D It is so nice to know that Luka has the best chance of a happy life thanks to the wonderful breeder who did the right thing.

Although you do not want to hear what is being said on here, please try and see why people are posting what they are. Some people in hear devote their lives to doing the right thing by their breed and they are frustrated when so many people are not. You asked for advice and was told very clearly what to look for. You went ahead anyway. I think peoples frustartion is justified. Believe it or not though, they are a forgiving bunch and do have your dogs best interests at heart.

If you can afford the DNA testing that should have been done to the parents, please get those done. At least you will have peace of mind. I know you love your dog and even of the results were bad, I'm sure you would do the right thing by him but if it were me I would want to know.

Hope you undertand my rambling post becasue I really do understand your point of view as well and the other posters on this thread.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HI B.

Your pup is very cute. Ultimately it is your decision and now whatever happens you have this puppy. Don't take what anyone says here to heart (even if it's sometimes tactless and less than diplomatic) You're on a forum that loves and is dedicated to promoting and protecting pedigree and papered dogs. The advise you were given came from a place of concern for the dog, but some people on here can come across abrupt even when they truly care. I guess we all have different personality types.

I think what happened was that you hadn't bought the puppy when you first arrived and these people gave you a lot of information about what to ask and look for and were discouraging you to purchase said puppy if the parents didn't pass said tests. It seems you ignored their advice and bought the pup anyway even though they had given advice, which is completely your prerogative. This in turn frustrated them and now we have a vicious circle of accusations, frustration and tension. You just have to understand that by buying the pup after being advised not to, you are now wittingly supporting the very thing (BYB) that most everyone on this site are against and trying to end. It's very upsetting and frustrating to see more poor examples of the breeds we love being bred and sold, when a papered ANKC pup costs a bit more but you're not just purchasing a puppy but also the security of the breed.

Edited by mixeduppup

edit: in reply to miranda above.

no miranda

i have taken all the advice on board. and i made a call. i have not discounted or written off any of what was said.

apparently if one does not take all advice given out here they leave themselves open to hostilities and the kind of posts above

as i said, it is quite disgusting

Edited by --B--

It's because the advice comes from a knowledgeable and experienced place. Like someone saying "Don't eat raw chicken" there's a chance you could be fine but there's a chance you could get very ill or die. That's all this is, advice form an educated standpoint and surprise when advice was not taken.

leave themselves open to hostilities and the kind of posts above

---B---

believe me , you have not been the subject of 'hostilities' on this forum .Everyone so far has been civil, if blunt.

if there were hostilities- you would definitely see the smoke !!

No one wishes ill of you and/or Sweep .....

but it is hugely disappointing when someone chooses to support BYB'ers who have no idea what faulty genetic material they are spreading .

HI B.

Your pup is very cute. Ultimately it is your decision and now whatever happens you have this puppy. Don't take what anyone says here to heart (even if it's sometimes tactless and less than diplomatic) You're on a forum that loves and is dedicated to promoting and protecting pedigree and papered dogs. The advise you were given came from a place of concern for the dog, but some people on here can come across abrupt even when they truly care. I guess we all have different personality types.

I think what happened was that you hadn't bought the puppy when you first arrived and these people gave you a lot of information about what to ask and look for and were discouraging you to purchase said puppy if the parents didn't pass said tests. It seems you ignored their advice and bought the pup anyway even though they had given advice, which is completely your prerogative. This in turn frustrated them and now we have a vicious circle of accusations, frustration and tension. You just have to understand that by buying the pup after being advised not to, you are now wittingly supporting the very thing (BYB) that most everyone on this site are against and trying to end. It's very upsetting and frustrating to see more poor examples of the breeds we love being bred and sold, when a papered ANKC pup costs a bit more but you're not just purchasing a puppy but also the security of the breed.

thank you for your well thought out and articulated post..

i 100% understand where everyone is coming from in their concerns about BYB. i listened to the advice and made a call (having paid a deposit and having to keep a wife who loved our puppy happy too!)

at the end of the day what is done is done. the hostilities and comments above were just uncalled for.

however im not one to hold a grudge and will happily move on to more positive discussions

edit: in reply to miranda above.

no miranda

i have taken all the advice on board. and i made a call. i have not discounted or written off any of what was said.

apparently if one does not take all advice given out here they leave themselves open to hostilities and the kind of posts above

as i said, it is quite disgusting

Yes, people have been blunt. That is their perogative. But frankly I think you should be heeding some of what is being said here.

You made a decision to buy a pup advertised as a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. You paid out money for a pup that may not be one (it certainly doesn't look purebred to me :shrug:) that has structural issues caused by poor nutrition, poor genes or both and your vet hasn't said a damn thing about its feet.

Stop lashing out and start paying attention to what people are telling you You will now need to ensure that this pup is fed very carefully, (I'd suggest IMMEDIATE supplementation with Vitamin C), absolutely no calcium supplements (this could in fact be what caused the problem) and absolutely no over exercising. A good breeder would have given you a pup with an optimum start in life, that was absolulely what they said it was and that would never run foul of breed specific legislation.

And now you are here... and the very people you're lashing out at are the folk you will need help from to try to get this pup back on track (and this happens all the bloody time). Once again, responsible, knowledgeable breeders will pick up the pieces while the "breeder" of your pup skates away to do it all again 6 months from now.

You're not the only person who is disgusted. I'm saving my disgust for the sort of person who sells pups to folk who decide with their hearts rather than their heads and who may (but hopefully not) pay for those decisions with heartbreak.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

You will now need to ensure that this pup is fed very carefully, (I'd suggest IMMEDIATE supplementation with Vitamin C), absolutely no calcium supplements (this could in fact be what caused the problem) and absolutely no over exercising. A good breeder would have given you a pup with an optimum start in life, that was absolulely what they said it was and that would never run foul of breed specific legislation.

constructive comments like this are completley welcome whippet. and i appreciate this advice

i only want to do the best by my pup (which is why im here) and will do what it takes to ensure she gets to her best

ive had a look into pastern issues and thought i might post another pic or two so people can get a better look

in terms of vitamin C supplements how would you suggest i do this?

You will now need to ensure that this pup is fed very carefully, (I'd suggest IMMEDIATE supplementation with Vitamin C), absolutely no calcium supplements (this could in fact be what caused the problem) and absolutely no over exercising. A good breeder would have given you a pup with an optimum start in life, that was absolulely what they said it was and that would never run foul of breed specific legislation.

constructive comments like this are completley welcome whippet. and i appreciate this advice

i only want to do the best by my pup (which is why im here) and will do what it takes to ensure she gets to her best

ive had a look into pastern issues and thought i might post another pic or two so people can get a better look

in terms of vitamin C supplements how would you suggest i do this?

There are folk who know far more about this than me but I'd be adding 2000mg of Ester C (Vitamin C in it's most stomach compatible form) to her diet daily. It helps with correct calcium absorbtion amongst other things and any excess will be peed out.

Seriously -B-, her feet aren't great. :( They are slightly east-west, splayed and she is down in pastern. Hard to tell from one pic but she looks a tad cow hocked also. This is not unusual in pups but she needs an optimum diet that's not too high in protein. Whatever Pav Lova tells you to feed, feed it. She raises gobsmackingly good SBT pups.

Your pup also looks fat. Trim her down to the point you can see a hint of rib. Puppies are not meant to be fat and taking some weight off will ease the burden on growing joints and feet.

Your pup is adorable!! You love it, you're here to learn and do whats best for your pup within your limits (Which we ALL have, though varied)

I got given grief when i got my Staffy pup at 6 weeks and i came here asking questions much as you have done. Take the advice you want, take others with a grain of salt.

Whilst it's all well and good to say return the pup and take the moral high ground against Backyard Breeders, the reality is, even after a short time a bond is formed with the pup and its going NOWHERE. Leasson learned for next time (as im sure you won't be able to stop at just one staffy, they're like pringles!)

Yep, she's fat :laugh:

She's all blubber and not a lot of muscle - that's weetbix for you. :(

Oh, if she gets the trots, ease back on the amount Vitamin C until she firms up again. It would indicate the dose is too high.

Can you post a close up of her front feet?

_---B --- Any chance of you putting her on a table or something and taking an 'eye level' side on standing shot or two ? It's very hard to assess shape etc from the angle of some of these photos .

She looks a bit like a little black piglet on your lawn !

There are folk who know far more about this than me but I'd be adding 2000mg of Ester C (Vitamin C in it's most stomach compatible form) to her diet daily. It helps with correct calcium absorbtion amongst other things and any excess will be peed out.

Seriously -B-, her feet aren't great. :( They are slightly east-west, splayed and she is down in pastern. Hard to tell from one pic but she looks a tad cow hocked also. This is not unusual in pups but she needs an optimum diet that's not too high in protein. Whatever Pav Lova tells you to feed, feed it. She raises gobsmackingly good SBT pups.

Your pup also looks fat. Trim her down to the point you can see a hint of rib. Puppies are not meant to be fat and taking some weight off will ease the burden on growing joints and feet.

i too thought she was a little overweight when we got her. those pics were taken on day 1. since then i have fed her only pro plan puppy food and i think she has trimmed down a little

i appreciate all of these comments and i would welcome any advice people may offer for me to rectify any health problems they be identify through these pics

i certainly mean no harm and if i took the blunt comments wrongly then i apologise. im really keen to learn how best to raise the pup so she is a picture of health. i undererstand many of you guys are frustrated with the BYB scene and no doubt it gets tiresome when new owners like myself unwittingly support it however i guess all i can do now is do the best i can by my pup to give her a happy healthy life

Out of interest did the person who bred her say she had been wormed? and/or have you done her yourself? She looks a little pot bellied to me which may be from her diet or may be from worms if she has not been dewormed correctly.

The best of luck

Out of interest did the person who bred her say she had been wormed? and/or have you done her yourself? She looks a little pot bellied to me which may be from her diet or may be from worms if she has not been dewormed correctly.

The best of luck

I agree, she looks a bit pot bellied to me, and I would be suspicious of worms.

The best of luck

yep she has been wormed and vaccinated. we got the certificates etc. and the vet also gave her a heart worm tablet and she is now on the required schedule to keep all this up to date

i have been checking her stools and they are worm free