Poo'd In My Bed!

skully

Pebbles just turned 1. She sleeps on her bed in our room, but every night jumps into our bed after an hour or two in her bed. We originally tried to get her to sleep on her own bed, made her get down as soon as we heard her get up onto our bed, but regardless at some stage she'd jump up after we were asleep and we didn't realise till we woke up in the morning.

we tried making her sleep outside our room, but she cried most of the night and we relented after two weeks of trying.

So pebbles tends to basically sleep in our bed. last night i stretched my legs out and squelched into something soft and wet....she had done a poo in our bed!!!! what the hell?

we take her out to go to the toilet before bed every night. In recent weeks she's gotten up and poo'd in the hallway, which is just NOT on, so we've been specifically taking her out before bed on her lead to make sure she 'gets busy'. i've even considered only feeding her in the morning instead of dinner so she has a chance to get all her poo out during the day.

what the hell is going on!!! i'm going to have a get a crate and train her i think. lock her in the crate at night... i feel many sleepless nights coming on...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sorry, How this sounds like my house hold.. Since then no dogs on the bed ever ever again :rofl:

haha yes well she got banished from the bed straight away. she knew she was in trouble. i took her outside to go the toilet and she ran straight into her kennel!

Yikes! If I were you I would not be allowing her on my bed again, under any circumstances. I'm no expert but I feel that defecating on a bed is a pretty big sign of disrespect from a dog and a way for them to push the boundaries. Have you considered crate training for overnight? You could even put the crate in your room so that she doesn't feel so separated from you.

Yikes! If I were you I would not be allowing her on my bed again, under any circumstances. I'm no expert but I feel that defecating on a bed is a pretty big sign of disrespect from a dog and a way for them to push the boundaries. Have you considered crate training for overnight? You could even put the crate in your room so that she doesn't feel so separated from you.

well yes, as i said at the end of my post, i might have to crate her...

it's odd, something she's never done before. so i'm not sure if it's some massive sign of disrespect, or simply the fact that its cold and she doesn't want to go outside? i don't know. i'm stumped. hubby is just smug that she did it to my side of the bed not his! he's not the one who woke up at 2am with dog poo on her foot! ew ew ew

if she has also been toileting indoors recently..is it all a normal texture etc? Does she poo more generally ?

What has changed around the house? new neighbours/dogs/cats/sounds/routine?

Any different food /water?

..and ,yes ,use a crate if you need to ..BUT remember..it is a gradual process ..just don't buy a crate and lock her in.

learning for her to like her crate and be settled using it takes time & effort...

she hurt her foot last week and had to have surgery to remove the wooden skewer stuck in her paw. but she's been absolutely fine, no visible pain at all or favouring the other foot. we spoiled her a bit the first few nights.

she's on antibiotics, but other than that the poo's are all normal texture. quite hard, due to the bones she eats, which has been good as no stains on the carpet.

i do believe the neighbours are doing some work to the house as well...

i was going to buy the crate games dvd and see how we go.

she hurt her foot last week and had to have surgery to remove the wooden skewer stuck in her paw. but she's been absolutely fine, no visible pain at all or favouring the other foot. we spoiled her a bit the first few nights.

she's on antibiotics, but other than that the poo's are all normal texture. quite hard, due to the bones she eats, which has been good as no stains on the carpet.

She poo's on the carpet???

Hi scully. :)

To be frank, you need to toilet her yourself.

She obviously can't be trusted to do it herself.

My dogs will wee on command, especially if a night inside follows.

Of course, dogs prefer to poo 'off site' so an evening walk and a poo would be recommended.

Getting a crate??

Well maybe, but its going to take more work not less.

It always does.

Good Luck.

IMO, that may indeed be enough of a 'hiccup/change in routine' to upset her ..and I suggest you begin house training again .. no scolding, etc ..just HEAPS of praise/reward when she does the right thing .

She poo's on the carpet???

i'm not sure if i mentioned it earlier - over the last couple of weeks she has had a couple of incidents where she has pooed inside on the carpet (in the hallway outside our room) in the middle of the night. It is not normal (or acceptable) practice for her to poo inside.

we've been taking her out after dinner and before bed to toilet. On the nights she doesn't get a walk after work (she always gets a walk in the morning) i'm trying to make sure we stay outside till she does a poo

Hi scully. :)

To be frank, you need to toilet her yourself.

She obviously can't be trusted to do it herself.

My dogs will wee on command, especially if a night inside follows.

Of course, dogs prefer to poo 'off site' so an evening walk and a poo would be recommended.

Getting a crate??

Well maybe, but its going to take more work not less.

It always does.

Good Luck.

she wee's on command, but not always number 2's.

they do prefer pooing offsite don't they...strange - is it just a not wanting to soil their own yard type thing?

This is a puppy. Mistakes happen. It doesn't have anything to do with respect (how does a dog respect a person anyway)?

My pup did this once. He is the most obedient, hard working, wanna-please-his-mum dog.

ETA: I agree with Pers. She isn't house trained yet. No biggie. If you give her the death-stare (dogs read body language really well) you might find that she just hides where she poos.

Edited by megan_