Acreage Fencing Ideas

Winterpaws

we have 1.8m waratah rabbit mesh. fence is 1.50 high with a 30 cm lap at the bottom. star pickets 2.5 to 3 m apart with a more substantial post every fourth one. very happy with it. will post pics later from other computer.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats on your new home! Acreage is wonderful, at night we can see every star though cant see our hand in front of our face unless we have moonlight :laugh: and hear every frog or other critters :) Get a good torch if you dont already have one.

We have about two acres of house yard. Post and rail fencing with chicken wire and a hotwire running between the chicken wire and top post, about 5cm in from the chicken wire.

I love having the house yard, it is great to be able to check for any nasties (snakes) in a smaller area. I can do everything possible to ensure our dogs are safe. Once we do our front and other boundary fence we will have a dog proof property, though we have lived here 14 years now so have had heaps of time. We have just made sure all rural fencing as replaced was also dog proof each time.

Wishing you much happiness, peace and enjoyment in your new home :)

I can take pics, though will have to email them to you as I am no good with DOL and adding pics :o

Thanks Mixedpupp. That sounds kind of similar to what we are thinking.

Jules I like that set up and it is what I eventually want. Post and a top rail. How high is yours and does it keep your dogs in?

Newsfie - we have thought about electric at the top and possibly one at the bottom as we will taking on a mini pony who will sometimes use the yard also. I just keep thinking that the rspca here will have a go at you? Does anyone know if they are still going people for having electric fencing in house yards?

Perrin I love love love your fence, but because we only have 5 acres, it would take away our view if we did something like that. I want to gaze at Bundy all day :laugh: If my house was raised like yours it would be a perfect idea

I think the cyclone fencing is really exxy? The black one looks really nice though doesn't it.

Bigbear and stansmum - we're staying on the Coast. Actually only moving about 5 minutes from where we are now :thumbsup:

The steel fencing we are leaning to is the Stocksafe from Waratah. I just need to try and get a price on it to compare it to Stiff Stay.... The local CRT tried to sell me rolls of hinge joint as it is apparentlt cheaper but I have been told this is a big no no around horses? The property has all internal paddock fencing but I will probably want to use some of the laneways between the paddocks and boundaries during summer so what ever I use does need to be horse safe

Thanks everyone on the congrats. We're ecstatic but I am of course worrying about the dogs and cats :o The property has a huge shed which has a living area built into the back of it where the owners lived whilst they built the main house. I am thinking of converting that somewhere that the dogs can be when we are out, and also a home office as I work from home. They're used to being inside when we are not home so it should work.

For the cats, the house has a wrap around balcony and I am going to enclose one section with cat mesh so that they can also get outside. The house is a lot lot smaller than the one we are in now so giving them some extra space outside is a bit of a priority. The catnets site seems to have good instructions on cat mesh....

I think the cyclone fencing is really exxy? The black one looks really nice though doesn't it.

We paid about 15K 3 years ago for a bit over 330m of 6 foot cyclone fencing fully installed with 3 gates (two double). It was properly installed too, with the posts in concrete and strainers etc plus standoffs around the outside to keep livestock off it. It was expensive, and we've only just finished paying the personal loan off we took out to fund it, but the peace of mind has been worth its weight in gold. We've never had a dog get out and it's still in really good condition. Agree with Sir WJ re doing it thoroughly the first time.

I'm considering a very different option: GPS-based e-collar.

http://dogexpeditionsystems.com/

If you accept e-collar thinking, this looks like a great system . . . I love having a warning zone as well as an enforcement boundary. It's great that, unlike e-fence, you don't have to bury anything and you can move the boundaries around . . . set up new containment if you take the dogs on holiday. Also useful to be able to track your dogs when they are loose. The need to recharge batteries looks like a pain in the posterior, though.

This looks really good. I like the way it allows the dog back inside the zone should they get past it. I just had this installed www.hiddenfence.com.au. You don't have to bury the wire, you can clip it on to existing fence, but I opted for underground. My fencing cost me around $20k but recently one of the Maremmas started jumping it *massive eye roll* so I opted for Hidden Fence to keep him in (roughly $1000). Works a treat.

Congrats on the purchase!!!

I have chicken wire with a couple of strands of wire and then a pine post on the top. The chicken wire has got a big saggy so not sure if I would use that again. I didn't want dog mesh though as the garden backs on to the pony paddocks.

We're on almost 2 acres and our perimeter fence is very similar to this but we also have boards attached to the bottom of the fence (coated in sump oil)- keeps neighbour roaming dogs out and seems to deter snakes from entering.

Our house yard in the roll-top pool fencing which we got cheap off ebay :-)

Ok, here are a couple of photos of our fence. this is around our 'house yard' and our orchard and we have plans to fence another dog paddock with it when funds allow.

As mentioned above we used 1.80m waratah mesh. The fence height is 1.5m so there is a 30cm lap at the bottom facing inwards to prevent dogs going under the fence.

Posts on the house yard are 2.5m apart with every 4th post being a round metal post which has been cemented in.

This is a very strong fence but probably a bit of over engineering in our case, and for the orchard we put posts 3m apart and used bigger gal pickets every 4th post.

The gates are specially made 1.5m high farm style gates.

Not a cheap fence and really I don't think ANY fence is cheap these days but if you can install yourself you will reduce costs significantly. As SSM says though, do it right the first time and it can save you BIG hassles later.

The fence works well for us. If we had any jumpers I would use a hotwire around the top as well but haven't found it necessary.

(also if you have cattle I would be putting a hotwire on the outside to keep them off the fence in case they weaken it. We only have sheep and it hasn't been an issue)

post-5072-0-21016100-1342402154_thumb.jpg

post-5072-0-62602800-1342402182_thumb.jpg

post-5072-0-03199500-1342402229_thumb.jpg

Edited by espinay2

That's a great fence Espinay. I think when you start researching fencing, building them and the associated costs, you really start to appreciate the humble fence :laugh:

Yours is very similar to what we are thinking Espinay so I think we might be on a winner. We're going to initially do the house yard with the steel pickets but once we are absolutely sure of where we want fencing we will probably gets post and rail put in and then the board across the bottom sounds like a good idea also.

The mesh we are using doesn't need the straining wire across the middle, but I might try work out cost of the stock fence vs chicken mesh

I personally chose the mesh (rabbit fence) as the holes are smaller than a lot of the stock/dog fencing. Less chance of the dogs getting paws or noses through and 'working' at it to create a larger hole. JMHO but has worked for us.

We paid about 15K 3 years ago for a bit over 330m of 6 foot cyclone fencing fully installed with 3 gates (two double). It was properly installed too, with the posts in concrete and strainers etc plus standoffs around the outside to keep livestock off it. It was expensive, and we've only just finished paying the personal loan off we took out to fund it, but the peace of mind has been worth its weight in gold. We've never had a dog get out and it's still in really good condition. Agree with Sir WJ re doing it thoroughly the first time.

Wow that's exspensive :eek: So that would roughly be about $45.50 per m..looks like we will be saving for a bit more time then, as we really wan't it for our house yard & we love it in black. We don't need 330m so it will be a little cheaper, so hopefully it hasn't gone up in price too much in 3 years.

We currently just have farm fencing with chicken wire half way up.

Edited by Baileys mum

My internal yard is a 1/4 acre yard comprised of dog mesh wire stapled onto posts and top rails which are 100 mill round koppers logs. Painted with loverrrly mission brown post paint. About 1/4 of this yard, the bottom half, is still star pickets with the wire cable ties tied onto it as I simply replace the pickets with posts and rails as time goes by. I have been a lazy bugger though so not much has happened in a looong time.

Cost wise very cheap, and bit by bit is easily budgeted. Also very secure but I don't have crazy animals rubbing themselves onto it.

J.

Wow that's exspensive :eek: So that would roughly be about $45.50 per m..looks like we will be saving for a bit more time then, as we really wan't it for our house yard & we love it in black. We don't need 330m so it will be a little cheaper, so hopefully it hasn't gone up in price too much in 3 years.

I just recieved the quote for our front fence and it is a tad under $14,000! though I feel better now reading your post. Its timber post and rail fence, also dog proof.

I just recieved the quote for our front fence and it is a tad under $14,000! though I feel better now reading your post. Its timber post and rail fence, also dog proof.

What are you using for your mesh?

I am estimating our house yard will be around $3k by the time I buy mesh, gates, posts and rails. We're hoping to do a large portion ourselves though :o

I've got 5' chainwire round my 2 acres and another 5' chainwire fence to section off the back yard from the front. I've also got 6' palings round an area attached to the back of the very large shed which is where the dogs go when I'm out. Otherwise I tend to let them out in the back section unless I'm going out the front myself. That way it keeps them away from the front gate just in case anyone unexpectedly turns up, eg Energex.

What are you using for your mesh?

I am estimating our house yard will be around $3k by the time I buy mesh, gates, posts and rails. We're hoping to do a large portion ourselves though :o

We are using chicken wire, I dont know what brand though. It's good stuff, buried two feet under the ground.

The front fence is different to our other fencing, it's nicer because its our front entrance. Its 90 meters of fencing. My Husband does all the hotwiring.

This is the fence, http://www.giddiup.com.au/rural-properties.html though the entrance will be different to the one in the link. Its a bit hard to explain, though we need it a certain width at the entrance for the float, any trucks etc (hope that makes sense)

The rest of the boundary fencing will be timber posts and two star pickets in between (you can buy caps for the star pickets) and hotwired as our neighbours will be putting their goats in their paddock once its finished.

They do nice fencing!! Are you using those guys Nic?

I love those gates also!

I'll try pull down some pics of the new place. The fencing is very ummm rustic? It will look good when we tidy it up and repaint etc. I'd link you to the for sale thingo but it has the address all over it ....