Attention Victorian Whippeteers!

Kirislin

7595932726_a1bbfd805a.jpg

5F6A0035dpptcr by kirislin, on Flickr

Whippet Fun Day this Saturday. BYO whippet!

It's at the usual place:

Wandin East Reserve, out the back, enter off Parker Rd

http://goo.gl/maps/9wq8

and the usual time, starting 11am

We will have a sausage sizzle this time, and tea and coffee.

Bring your own chairs, picnic blankets, shelter, etc.

Members $5 per dog per day

Non Members $10 per dog per day.

6870511488_6d6f9a54aa.jpg

Warp speed! by kirislin, on Flickr

7018833995_2b19ee6798.jpg

IMG_9850dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

Edited by Kirislin

Bugger I live in Wandin and was going to go have a look but I have new puppy people coming at 11.30am for their new baby. :)

we will probably be there until 2pm possibly longer, it would still be worth dropping in. Come and say hello to me if you come.

a reminder to anyone coming, all dogs to be kept on leads unless actually having a run after the lure. All dogs running must have a muzzle on, we have them for sale or hire on the day.

Bring poo bags and clean up after your dogs.

Please dont walk your dogs on the sports oval/cricket pitch.

Here's our facebook page if you want to "like" us :D We are very likeable.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Yarra-Valley-Whippet-Social-Racing-Club/172335819461281

Edited by Kirislin

Can I still come even without a whippet? I'd love to do a bit of photo practice :)

Of course, the only condition being we get to see the photos! :D It's a fantastic photo opportunity, I used to post a notice in DOLs photo forum inviting people along. Evolving and Clicking Mad came to a few and had a good time and both got some amazing photos.

What a brilliant day we had. Slight hiccough at the start when we were locked out for a short while, many thanks to Belinda for saving the day and bringing the key and thankyou to all for your patience and understanding.

Quite a few new faces and some young pups who will hopefully continue on to bigger and better things. It's heartening to see the word is getting out about our great little club, I really think we're living up to our name of being a social racing club.

The council have been fantastic, once again the grass was freshly mown and smooth as a babys bottom, well not quite but the dogs weren't hampered by that awful paspallum.

I'll bet there's lots of tired whippies at home now. Check your whippets feet for dirt and grit, and wash them if necessary in warm soapy water. Dirt around the nails is a source of infection so watch out for it. It also gives you a chance to check their feet for splits and abrasions, look under their stopper pads. Thanks to everyone for being vigilant and picking up dog poo, the system worked well and we had a very full stinky bag at the end of the day, thankyou to brave Erica who took it to the bin.

I took plenty of photos but they'll take a bit of editing, might be a day or two before I get them up.

Good to see quite a few DOLers there too!

It was a lot of fun! Can't wait to see photos Linda!

There's quite a few, my computer is chugging away through some now, but I'm so tired I'll have to finish it over a few days.

I think I got some good ones with the wide angle siggy lens.

Edited by Kirislin

thanks, I'm not sure who that whippet is but it certainly flew. :laugh:

Another DOLer, Cougar came along for a look see yesterday too and had a camera, I'm hoping she got some good shots and might add them here.

Great shots, looks like a fun day! Question why do the dogs wear the muzzles? I noticed in one photo one dog had the foxtail (lure?) in its mouth. Sorry I sound clueless I have no clue! :laugh: Just curious.

Great shots, looks like a fun day! Question why do the dogs wear the muzzles? I noticed in one photo one dog had the foxtail (lure?) in its mouth. Sorry I sound clueless I have no clue! :laugh: Just curious.

Aha! have a look here, it's the perfect example of why they wear them. This is not a nasty whippet, but things get pretty intense sometimes with that rush of adrenaline.

I love that one its a great shot.

Ok I understand perfectly now, its not so they can't catch the lure its more of a prey drive pack thing.

Yep, and even mild mannered gentle whippets can get carried away, it doesn't mean they're vicious.

No it definaltey doesn't, I understand about pack dynamics I have four remember! :laugh: Not whippets but dogs just the same.

I liked the Facebook page, I enjoy your photos and your dogs are lovely.