Show Greyhounds And Gap

Kirislin

I was at an animal shelter yesterday and the attendant said the dog in the cage was a greyhound.

When I saw the dog I said that's not a purebred greyhound. It was approx 23" at the shoulder, very stocky with short chunky legs and a short thick tail. It certainly looked like it had some greyhound in it but there were other breeds in there too, possibly some bull terrier and something else to give it a slightly longer coat and that very thick tail, about the length of a labrador tail I'd guess. She insisted it was a pure greyhound so I tried again and said I've been involved in the greyhound industry and it is not a greyhound, to which she replied that it is a show greyhound!

I thought I would try another angle so I then asked if it will have to be assessed to get the green GAP collar. Oh no says she, show bred greyhounds dont have to wear the collars only race bred greyhounds. I know what show bred greyhounds look like too, I have friends who breed both show and race, they're often even larger than race bred, and deeper chested. This was neither race or show but the other thing that had me wondering, and doubting, was her statement that show bred greys dont have to wear the GAP collars if they become pets. I doubt this very much, but thought I'd better ask here to be sure.

Edited by Kirislin

Dont know about Vic, but in NSW show greys have to comply with the same rules as race greys. A greyhound is a greyhound, no matter what purpose it was bred for

Edited by shantiah

Sounds like the dog was a cross of some sort. My show greys are taller than my races, with much longer legs, although perhaps slightly thicker but only in line with size of the dig. They have much finer coats and dont seem to go nearly so fluffy in the winter. And their tails are heaps longer and finer than the racers.

Dont know about Vic, but in NSW show greys have to comply with the same rules as race greys. A greyhound is a greyhound, no matter what purpose it was bred for

this is what I would have thought too. Otherwise how could you prove it wasn't a race bred dog.

Sounds like the dog was a cross of some sort. My show greys are taller than my races, with much longer legs, although perhaps slightly thicker but only in line with size of the dig. They have much finer coats and dont seem to go nearly so fluffy in the winter. And their tails are heaps longer and finer than the racers.

Yes the show bred dogs I've seen are usually larger and deeper chested and the dog yesterday was smaller than race greys. I know some can be small but they'd be fine, this was more like a pig dog, although not quite as chunky. I could easily see there was greyhound in it but definitely not pure.

yep in Vic they have to be muzzled unless they have gone through GAP and passed. Crossbreds don't have to be muzzled.

It bothers me that she's giving out the wrong information. It doesn't matter in this dogs case because it is clearly a cross bred, even though she doesn't know it. But if she's going 'round saying show bred greys dont have to be assessed through GAP she needs "re-educating"

It bothers me that she's giving out the wrong information. It doesn't matter in this dogs case because it is clearly a cross bred, even though she doesn't know it. But if she's going 'round saying show bred greys dont have to be assessed through GAP she needs "re-educating"

I don't think it matters. People who buy show greyhounds know they have show greyhounds and the breeders would be able to inform puppy buyers of what the law is. The worst thing that can happen is a few show greyhound owners allow their show bred greyhounds to be unmuzzled. I don't think the community is in much danger from that.

She works at an animal shelter though. They need to know the laws for greyhounds.

I think ignorance of breed-specific laws would be a pretty common thing, unfortunately.

In Tasmania, greyhounds have a couple of specific laws (not just for muzzles) and I doubt many people are aware of them, besides those who have to know (like trainers of racing dogs).

It's possible that the pound employee was aware of the law but had read it incorrectly.

In Tasmania (and I assume other states), a greyhound may be unmuzzled in a public place for the purpose of showing, trialing, etc, meaning that a showbred greyhound could be unmuzzled in public, if it is participating in a conformation trial.