Old Post

Issue has been addressed, had a friendly chat with them about their dog zoey. They were originally told their dog would not develop any health problems. I suggested they watch out for warning signs when zoey was older, they could not have been happier to talk about her.

Edited by JessicaM

Are you going to inform every dog owner of there breed health issues??

Seriously cavies have born the brunt of honest breeders doing the right thing & everyone has jumped on the band wagon of presuming every Cavie out there is a walking time bomb which isn't true.

It isn't your problem

Guest lavendergirl

You might be well meaning but unless the dog is looking neglected or ill-treated in some way you really can't say anything. And if you do have those concerns just strike up a conversation with them - ask if you can pat the dog - and you will find out the background soon enough and may be able to offer advice at that stage.

Geez some people like to jump to conclusions! I know it isn't my problem and I'm sure you could have said it in a much nicer way! Jog on I didn't ask for abuse,,, I have nothing against the people, was simply concerned for the dog and health problems I've heard of! Nothing more thanks.

Guest lavendergirl

Geez some people like to jump to conclusions! I know it isn't my problem and I'm sure you could have said it in a much nicer way! Jog on I didn't ask for abuse,,, I have nothing against the people, was simply concerned for the dog and health problems I've heard of! Nothing more thanks.

I didn't think my reply was abusive :confused:

I didn't think my reply was abusive :confused:

No not you lavender girl, your advice was exactly what I was hoping to get! :) look I'm going to the shops tomorrow and if fate brings them there at the same time I will listen to your advice, they are lovely people and have been in our shop before. I'll just see what happens, thankyou for your kindness and manners!

health issues about CKCS dogs, I admit I don't know much about them but I have read enough to know that they can be a very expensive dog to keep and quite often leads to heart break. I'm thinking if these people can barley afford to pay for clothing and honestly don't smell too food, I feel like I should somewhat inform them of health issues iof the breed or encourage them to hold onto the breeders number or even get pet insurance? I would hate if their daughter would loose her puppy without even knowing anything about health problems.

..and have you also read up on what some other dog breeds MAY have lurking ?

If they don't have money to pay for expensive tests/treatment , then they don't ... and all the well meaning warnings in the world will not change the fact they already have a pup, and perhaps do not have the money .

Why worry them with "maybe's" ??

Their dog - be it a jamaican rum hound or a aussie drop bear herder may well carry some defective genes , and may become ill .. and they may find it a hard time ...<br class="Apple-interchange-newline">

or they may get tired of said pup , or pup may get run over, or they may find it too much work training a pup ...

So many things could cause them to not have a pup anymore ....but that is the risk everyone takes .

With respect , if you do not know the breed well, and also are not well versed in those 'health issues' , please don't start up a conversation relating to possible health problems ....

Anyway there is often a family that walks through every now and then, they don't look like have a lot of money, they are often wearing old ripped clothing, very faded and wear 'old' looking shoes. I would believe they do have some mental issues, (don't look right) please don't think I'm having a dig, but I do believe they are the sort of family that is unfortunate.

What conclusion is the above???

You asked for advice & you got it.

Don't worry too much about telling them about their dog's health problems JessicaM...there is one of the same breed living up the road from us that is not from the best of lines and he is the healthiest little dog one could find. His owner ran over him a few years back, got his pelvis and leg pinned and the tough little bugger is no worse for wear.

Sometimes there are a few about that have no inherent problems...your (new) friends may have one like this.