August Challenge

tlc

:laugh: Funny boy!

Do you remember this post below, I've just been to that link but can't figure out where the tutorial is?

Hey I've got a question that is probly going to sound really dumb, how do you apply a texture to a background and not the subject? Would you have to do that in PS with layers? Or can you do it in LR?

Here's a tutorial on a really easy way to do it. The only thing is that with some images it's not the best way as painting over the part you don't want the texture on will still slightly change the tones/brightness. http://ilafrancephotography.com/blog/page/22/

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh, net keeps dropping out so I'll just reply in general. I really love space in some pictures, to me it puts the subject in context. But I'm also aware that the old dudes who pull me up on things have a better eye than I do so I'm working on getting my pictures to a certain level (rule wise) before I break all the rules on some shots. Photography is so subjective, I love low key saturated images so my default is always boost saturation and contrast. So your editing (collies) may be perfectly fine, just not what I'd do. Some things though, like blown whites have to be fixed, they aren't preferences. It can be impossible to fix if really blown. It isn't easy to get black and white correctly exposed on one animal so the way to get around it is expose for the white. The general rule is expose for the highlights and let the shadows take care of themselves. It is easier to pull detail from shadows than restore detail from blown whites, so change your exposure to get the whites right, then fix the black during editing. If you have an animal that is relatively still bracket your shots then layer them and selectively erase. this can also be done on landscape when you don't have filters and too much difference between sky and land.

Ugh, net keeps dropping out so I'll just reply in general. I really love space in some pictures, to me it puts the subject in context. But I'm also aware that the old dudes who pull me up on things have a better eye than I do so I'm working on getting my pictures to a certain level (rule wise) before I break all the rules on some shots. Photography is so subjective, I love low key saturated images so my default is always boost saturation and contrast. So your editing (collies) may be perfectly fine, just not what I'd do. Some things though, like blown whites have to be fixed, they aren't preferences. It can be impossible to fix if really blown. It isn't easy to get black and white correctly exposed on one animal so the way to get around it is expose for the white. The general rule is expose for the highlights and let the shadows take care of themselves. It is easier to pull detail from shadows than restore detail from blown whites, so change your exposure to get the whites right, then fix the black during editing. If you have an animal that is relatively still bracket your shots then layer them and selectively erase. this can also be done on landscape when you don't have filters and too much difference between sky and land.

Oh I'm so happy to see the challenges making a come back! I've been really neglecting my photography..as in basically haven't picked up my camera since December last year! :o But I've decided to try and get back into it as it is something I really enjoy, I just need to make the time to get my camera out!

Here's a few portrait photos I've taken in the last couple of weeks...all shot on manual. CC welcome. :)

I kinda like the crops- to me they are not all that far off what I would do myself. BUT here is an old challenge that really helped me with my cropping http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/192738-april-photo-challenge/page__p__4430464__hl__thirds__fromsearch__1#entry4430464 it is about the 'rule of thirds'. So normally I attempt to frame it along those lines then crop to tweak it.

I will qualify I am not arty at ALL!! Maybe when the bronchitis decides to go away I will get the camera back out and try and stretch my imagination again. :) There are some really nice photos in here!! Nice to see some more inspiration being thrown around :thumbsup:

Edited by Jumabaar

The old judges are the worst, they know nothing of new techniques. I put my HDR fruitshop in and even wrote high dynamic range on the back. He had no clue and his comment was he would like to see the original photo to see what I'd done (I put it in digital manipulation). Since I'm trying to get a portfolio together so I can use wins to jump me into a higher level for competitions I'm playing their game. You have to be happy with what you produce first and foremost though, so there has to be a compromise between your artistic vision and the rules when entering comps.

Right, did some portraits today, colours look great on my monitor but a bit flat on my laptop, so hopefully they aren't really that way. My new favourite thing is fog, the colours are really good, no shadows and with the 50mm wide open plenty of light.

All are manual focus on my 50mm 1.7 prime, pentax K7 body, all ISO 100. F is between 1.7 and 2.8, camera doesn't record which as the lens can't talk to the camera. They are also deliberately "cool" I didn't want any warming so no temp increase.

Highland cow heifer, I debated over the crop a bit, ended up leaving a bit to the left of the sky as it wasn't balanced when I cropped in towards her face. Shutter speed 1/640

7703585288_ae97afb0e5_z.jpg

Young deer buck I hand raised, shutter 1/800and 1/1250 respectively.

7703547842_981d51a63b_z.jpg

7703563888_cd1bb1fd50_z.jpg

Highland cow, very hard to get a decent portrait as the horns just won't fit in! SS 1/640

7703652522_c9a03c7c72_z.jpg

Shetland horsie, that isn't distortion her muzzle is really wide, but I think the contrast might be a bit flat. SS 1/640

7703646700_be6c0b2ecf_z.jpg

One I've taken about a month ago, a DOLers dog at herding, SS 1/800, ISO 100 80-200 zoom at 80 I think.

7703556822_c5a05e6716_z.jpg

There is a huge difference in colour between my desktop and what I can see on flickr on my laptop, UGH, this crap drives me mad, they need the colour to be effective :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad It think I need to fix this issue, I've changed monitors. Can someone tell me if the highland heifer looks like she has really red hair?

She actually does have pretty red hair so it shouldn't be brownish like I'm seeing on the laptop. I'm getting a new monitor next week so probably not much point stressing till then. I might do some test prints with the heifer as she is a good thing as there is such a difference. Why is colour management so hard :(

Second one is her mum who should be brown, but her mum is a bit too dark as well. Take my word for it, the colours really pop in my world :laugh:

Edited by Reverend Jo

Well I think they look spot on on my Mac then, I thought the second one was the same. I took some photos of a highland cow and miniature horse at work a while back, we have a lady who lives around here and she has them as pets and takes them to kids parties and events. They were lovely and placid. Don't see many of them around here.

I'm going to tweak the same picture with three different progressive editing and put them in the same canvas to see if I can get some idea of how much more I have to boost things. Very frustrating when you get things right on one screen then realise it's not accurate, I've only calibrated by eye so far with the monitor, but I'm getting the calibration tool sooner than I planned I think.

Nice shots, tough shadows! Really like the last one but the shadow on pups face has spoiled it a bit.

Have you thought about just for the time being downloading a trial of LR from the adobe website.