August Challenge

tlc

Right, did some portraits today, colours look great on my monitor but a bit flat on my laptop, so hopefully they aren't really that way. My new favourite thing is fog, the colours are really good, no shadows and with the 50mm wide open plenty of light.

All are manual focus on my 50mm 1.7 prime, pentax K7 body, all ISO 100. F is between 1.7 and 2.8, camera doesn't record which as the lens can't talk to the camera. They are also deliberately "cool" I didn't want any warming so no temp increase.

One I've taken about a month ago, a DOLers dog at herding, SS 1/800, ISO 100 80-200 zoom at 80 I think.

7703556822_c5a05e6716_z.jpg

There's my girl...... colour appears more vibrant on her body in this than what she is I think - although her face is accurate I reckon. (On my mac laptop). not sure if this helps you at all.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is considered a portrait, yes? :o

genghis.jpg

Mode: AV

f/5.6

1/500

ISO 3200

Edited to add the black/white and up the midtone contrast a bit

I think so yes, gorgeous kitty! To me artistically it would possibly more pleasing to my eye if both ears were completely in the picture but thats just me.

Yeah, I think kitty needs whiskers and ears fully in, you can get away with partial faces but only in some shots.

Jr, had someone confirm they saw what I did on my pc with colour so you might be seeing what I am, I did bump her colour up a bit when I did the levels. The other portraits she had her eyes closed as it was windy, but I like her looking back in this one.

Thanks snook, I've never taken shots in the fog before but my Dog is it great for portraits, the colours are amazing.

Yes I totally agree, sometimes I think :eek: Im posting way to much and too many photos but then I just thought hey if people don't want to look they don't have too! Ive learnt heaps about my new camera too which is great and I appreciate the help. I also have been more swayed towards trying Macro and thinking about getting a lens but I just don't know if it is something I would keep up with? I can't decide but after seeing CCs snail it reminded me how much I love macro shots and it might be something Id like to try but its a lot of money to folk out if i then can't be bothered with it. I just don't know. It from one extreme to another do i get what i originally wanted the 70-200 f4 or A macro lens, extreme ends of the spectrum. :rofl:

If you saw the number of old shoddy prints I just threw away lolli you'd be patting yourself on the back. You did a good job and I hope learning lots :thumbsup:

I'm so glad everyone is posting lots because we can all learn things and have fun at the same time. I literally could talk photography all day long every day so as long so buckle up :laugh:

Snook, must look into them, will admit to not knowing anything about them.

Jo I am the same, I just want to learn learn learn and could talk photography all day. I had a big dull patch where I hardly ever picked up the camera and I was sad, it was like I'd lost my thirst for it, but Im glad to say it is back! :laugh: I am annoyed I have to work, would rather be playing with my dogs and taking photos all day long!!

Some wildlife photographers spend weeks in a hide and consider themselves lucky if they get one great shot. The good thing about digital is you can shoot for practise and it is free. When I started pre digital it ended up costing me a bomb, especially when I went to slide, which ended up costing near $50 a roll all up. I'd shoot whole rolls of film though to practise and that wasn't cheap. So now it's like being in heaven, free shooting and you can see and edit not long after. Except for issues with colour management that is, it is not my favourite thing :mad

Rozzie what lens are you using? I don't think your doing too much wrong, the focus is a bit lacking, (I'm an expert at lacking focus so I have an eye for it now :laugh: ) possibly a bit close?? Great depth of field in the second photo. Are these right out of the camera? What settings are you using?