August Challenge

tlc

This has been done before but as suggested in my other thread maybe we choose something that has been done in one of the older challenges, so I thought what better way to start than back to basics and we can build from there.

Back to basics - Practicing on portraits (human or animal) for Av and capturing movement for Tv - if you are shooting manual, the world is your oyster!

Spread the word that this is a great time for people to jump into the challenges. This month will be examining shooting in AV and TV modes and for those who have a good grasp; you will be shooting in M mode only.

A or AV - Av is the aperture priority mode on your camera. Essentially, the smaller the number, the larger the opening/aperture is. In Av mode, you select the size of the aperture and the camera will automatically set the shutter speed

S or Tv - is your shutter speed. If you are shooting something in motion, depending on the speed of your subject, you will want a shutter speed of at least 1/200th of a second. If you start playing with slow shutter speeds, you may want to use a tripod. When using the Tv mode, the camera will automatically set the aperture.

Manual - you need to set the ISO, Tv and Av yourself. The best way to learn manual mode is to keep it SIMPLE, check your results in the back of the camera and practice.

So for anyone who's new to challenges I think we will not have a limit on when and how many you post, just post whenever you feel you have something you want to share. and there will be others who will be able to give you constructive criticism (cc)

most of all have fun and don't be afraid to ask questions if you have any. Hope I have explained this well enough for everyone to understand.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I will start as I have some questions about the following photos that I hope someone can answer,

The first shot the ducks head is slightly out of focus but the second shot the ducks head is quite in focus, same settings have been used for both photos so am I right in assuming because of the different direction of the ducks head in the second shot the camera has automatically focused on it better than it did the first time? How could I have made the ducks head more in focus in the first shot, would changing my aperture to a higher number made a difference?

8cea3fd7.jpg

2f1d660e.jpg

exif data

AV mode

iso 200

f /3.2

1/1600

Ok I will start as I have some questions about the following photos that I hope someone can answer,

The first shot the ducks head is slightly out of focus but the second shot the ducks head is quite in focus, same settings have been used for both photos so am I right in assuming because of the different direction of the ducks head in the second shot the camera has automatically focused on it better than it did the first time? How could I have made the ducks head more in focus in the first shot, would changing my aperture to a higher number made a difference?

8cea3fd7.jpg

2f1d660e.jpg

exif data

AV mode

iso 200

f /3.2

1/1600

was your camera set on one shot, AIFocus or AIServo?

Edited by Kirislin

It was on one shot, as you can tell I haven't read the manual yet. :laugh: Don't even know what the other two do yet? Im guessing they make a difference?

Yes letting the camera do that, Ok its clear to see I met read the manual and the dozen book I have on this camera. :laugh:

I wish I only like to shoot inanimate objects they are soooo much easier. :laugh:

Setting your focus point will go a million miles towards getting your images in focus.

Maybe focus should be one of the challenges.

IMHO stop reading the books and start using the camera!!

Edited by kja

:laugh: That's what I'm doing but clearly I'm not doing it right!

I think because there is so much it can do I need to find out exactly what it can do.

Generally I never read instructions ever I just jump right in. Bit over my head this time, plus coming from Nikon everything is soooo different. Well same but different! :rofl:

Focus would be a great challenge!

Is this one too basic do you think, I know it would be for you pro guys but maybe not for the new ones?

No, it's not too basic! But if you don't know how to make your camera focus on what you want to focus on, it won't matter what settings you use.

Focus is essential and it's the one bit of the manual that one should read first: find out HOW to set it and what each of the three main modes do.

Personally, I'd suggest setting it on one shot AF spot to start. This will give ONE red box and what that red box is over will be what the camera tries to focus on. Learn how to select the different points (using the toggle and/or the dial on the back of your camera, usually), but keep it on one of them.

I'd also experiment a bit with the half press shutter and moving the focus to the rear * (on canon, not sure what it is on Nikon). I use the * method almost exclusively. For me, it allows a smoother, faster reaction for the vast majority of what I want to shoot. Others will find the half press shutter works better for them. The only way to know is to try both in various circumstances.

I find that many people learn more quickly by doing one thing at a time and then adding a second thing.

Edited by kja

It's not too basic! I struggle a bit with portraits, because I am very comfortable shooting in a documentary sort of way. I really need to learn to slow down and look around more too (for crap in the background etc).

I had a shoot on the weekend.

Probably not a portrait:

f/3.5

1/400th

ISO 200

7681441302_10925c65c7_z.jpg

More of a portrait:

f/2.5

1/250th

ISO 200

7681440754_2ff82fcf7d_z.jpg

Edited by huga

I like the last one huga. A creative way to get a person and a dog in the same shot.

Nice harmonious colours, awesome focus and sharpness. I like the washed out feel, it goes with the faded and torn jeans. Nice catchlight in the eyes.

Some tiny little points...

- was the camera parallel with the wall - maybe it's a trick of the eye, but it looks like the wall gets sharpen from left to right.

- the line of bricks slopes down to the right - I would have transformed to make the line of bricks horizontal as well.

Super picky on those points - it's the critic in me :) Still a lovely shot I wish I'd taken!

For those playing at home:

Notice the crop position is mid-thigh - perfect - never crop at a wrist, a knee, an elbow. There are specific points of a body where it's ok to crop!

Get down at your dogs level. You can shoot from above or below (it's a little trickier), but eye level is the best place to start! Get down on the ground!

No, it's not too basic! But if you don't know how to make your camera focus on what you want to focus on, it won't matter what settings you use.

Focus is essential and it's the one bit of the manual that one should read first: find out HOW to set it and what each of the three main modes do.

Personally, I'd suggest setting it on one shot AF spot to start. This will give ONE red box and what that red box is over will be what the camera tries to focus on. Learn how to select the different points (using the toggle and/or the dial on the back of your camera, usually), but keep it on one of them.

I'd also experiment a bit with the half press shutter and moving the focus to the rear * (on canon, not sure what it is on Nikon). I use the * method almost exclusively. For me, it allows a smoother, faster reaction for the vast majority of what I want to shoot. Others will find the half press shutter works better for them. The only way to know is to try both in various circumstances.

I find that many people learn more quickly by doing one thing at a time and then adding a second thing.

And then we could talk about the difference between each of the focus points, how they work and why you STILL don't get focus on what you want :)

Because I usually shoot animals I use spot focus, focus the eye, hold the shutter halfway and recompose. But I will experiment with the other modes and toggling the focus points. One of the biggest things is remembering to change settings between shoots, my worst is forgetting to turn off IS when putting the camera on the tripod.

I'll do some manual shots later or tomorrow, I already shoot AV or manual so I'll find something more difficult with manual. Nice portraits huga BTW :D

I like the last one huga. A creative way to get a person and a dog in the same shot.

Nice harmonious colours, awesome focus and sharpness. I like the washed out feel, it goes with the faded and torn jeans. Nice catchlight in the eyes.

Some tiny little points...

- was the camera parallel with the wall - maybe it's a trick of the eye, but it looks like the wall gets sharpen from left to right.

- the line of bricks slopes down to the right - I would have transformed to make the line of bricks horizontal as well.

Super picky on those points - it's the critic in me :) Still a lovely shot I wish I'd taken!

For those playing at home:

Notice the crop position is mid-thigh - perfect - never crop at a wrist, a knee, an elbow. There are specific points of a body where it's ok to crop!

Get down at your dogs level. You can shoot from above or below (it's a little trickier), but eye level is the best place to start! Get down on the ground!

I have no idea about the wall, I hadn't noticed it. It was a bbq built on the beach though, so who knows? :laugh:

I never crop at joints and I actually tell my clients (when I am directing, mostly I don't) to bend everything that bends.

I rarely shoot from above (for dogs) as I don't like floating heads :)

I'm so happy about this, thanks for starting this up, it will really help me to learn :D

I have a backlog of photos I need to edit and save already...

But while shooting new ones, here is my first question. If I take a photo indoors in our house at night, it's very yellow, because out lights are yellow, the tiles are orangy-yellow, and one of the dogs is yellow. So what settings should I try to counteract this? Or is this a question for another thread?

Ask away I will try to answer you and hopefully some more knowledgable folk will answer too, Assuming you are talking about not using the flash, what I do is have the iso up, I usually don't go over 800 but think I can go a lot higher with the 7D and in your camera somewhere you will have white balance, there is usually a few options so try a couple of different ones to see what suits. It depends what look you are wanting to achieve. then depending on what iso you are using adjust your shutter speed to suit or alternatively your aperture or both if shooting in Manual mode.

Hope I have explained it so you can understand, have a play and see how you go. remember the slower the shutter speed the more light that gets in but then you need a very steady hand or a tripod.

I totally forgot to say thanks for the feed back on my shots, I have been fiddling with the camera tonight and now understand a bit more about the focusing aspect. I watched a tutorial about the AI focus and AI servo mode and was pleased to understand that if the subject is moving the camera can focus (track) as it goes with the subject.

One thing I thought was weird when the guy in the shop was trying to talk me into the going back to the nikon D7000, he said the Canon won't focus on every shot in burst mode but the Nikon will, and I thought that was weird because whats the point of having burst mode if that was the case then your first shot would be sharp but the rest shot in that burst would be blurry?? Surely thats not right?

Huga love your session with the Lady and her dog, is the dog a Frenchie or a Boston, very cute which ever breed, especially love the one with the dog and the legs. I have ambitiously tried for a long time to get a pic (selfie) of me walking with one of the dogs next to me looking up, boy is it hard! I have one shot that I almost like. :laugh: Must have another crack with the new camera.

This might sound like a stupid question but if you are using a remote shutter does the remote focus the camera before the shot or do you have to set the shot up before you take the picture with the remote? and also can you use continuous (burst) mode with a remote?

Lollipop did yours turn up yet?

And Snook have you got your Mac yet?