August Challenge

tlc

hey can someone tell me, if I upload an image to Flickr and set it as private, can I still use the links to post it here for people to see?

I think so. That's how Photobucket works anyways.

Your pup has such stunning eyes!

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey can someone tell me, if I upload an image to Flickr and set it as private, can I still use the links to post it here for people to see?

I think so. That's how Photobucket works anyways.

Your pup has such stunning eyes!

aww thanks Cat :)

All mine are hand held, Im too lazy for a tripod, although I do have one and use it if need be. I just started another challenge about focus, Im having a bit of trouble with the same issue so thought it might be an idea to have a separate thread for focus.

yeah, I think I did have it too open in the Aperture mode. I haven't been able to work out the shutter mode yet. I might try again when it is sunnier earlier in the day.

You'll need to shoot manually for it to work.

Oh I'm so happy to see the challenges making a come back! I've been really neglecting my photography..as in basically haven't picked up my camera since December last year! :o But I've decided to try and get back into it as it is something I really enjoy, I just need to make the time to get my camera out!

Here's a few portrait photos I've taken in the last couple of weeks...all shot on manual. CC welcome. :)

7696844872_47d51c5075_z.jpg

7696841110_3ee59a9fc3_z.jpg

7696845328_d7a8fcac9b_z.jpg

7696839506_a5fb566120_z.jpg

Ok, first shot, needs to be cropped, way too much background. I think you have some highlights that are blown, you need to fix those and colour the tongue.

No. 2, I love that angle, but too much vacant area, crop a bit tighter, also blown whites, digital tends to do that to white, it doesn't handle it as well as film.

3 and 4, crop right down and darken a bit in 3, 4 possibly but I think you could get away without it. I'd increase saturation on them as well.

I know these aren't great, but was my first go of full manual mode last night in the house. I haven't edited them at all as my lightroom has crashed and I can't get it working. You can see how my house looks yellow.

DSC_2604.jpg

DSC_2603.jpg

DSC_2595.jpg

nose is out of focus on most of them

Edited by Lollipup

I like it Snook :) cute jammies :)

I'm really keen to get into it in full manual mode and finish reading the manual but I am so busy over the next four weeks, its going to be slow progress

ETA: When you say set the white balance to Tungsten, I do know how to adjust WB with the dial but is "Tungsten" a preset somewhere else or just a number to set it to?

Edited by Lollipup

colliepaws, your dogs are adorable, I love 2 and 3 the best.

Lollipup, did you use the 50mm for these shots, similar to me with shooting the dogs, you either get the nose or the eyes in focus, something to work on, get your camera to focus on the eyes instead of the nose. You house probably isn't really that yellow it just appears that way in camera. Tungsten will definatley change the way they look, or if you are shooting in RAW you can do that in LR. Cute dog by the way!

Love Love Love Justices PJ's, They are adorable! I am resisting the urge to ask you for a link to Staffy rescue so I can get some for my guys, Mine have Soooo many clothes they have a better wardrobe than i do! :rofl:

I really want to learn how to do the wall texture thing, You posted a link a while ago about how to do it but I never got around to looking at it. It would be great for the likes of the shots I took today with a bit of stuff in the back ground that I want to get rid of and also it looks totally awesome!! Also love the head tilt!

Sorry Snook, I just read back your comment on Lollies pics and realised I totally repeated exactly what you said. :laugh: I hate it when people do that to me, so apologies!!

RJ - Thank you for your feedback. :) I think I am terrible at cropping and I spend ages playing with it trying to get it to look 'right' and seems I still need to work on it! Thank you for the comments re the blown whites too - exposure is definitely something I'm struggling with! Do you have any tips of getting the right exposure with dogs with white collars and legs like mine? Or do I just need to learn how to recover the highlights better in post processing?

It's so funny that you said I should bump the saturation cos up til now I've always had a bit of a bad habit of over saturating and upping the contrast too much in my photos and I kept getting told that I've taken the saturation too far and need to dial it back so I've been concentrating really hard on not taking the contrast and saturation too far with my latest photos...but maybe I've overcompensated too far in the other direction! Still trying to find that happy medium and figure out what I like most and what works best with particular photos...

Photography is such a wonderfully subjective thing.. :)

Snook - Thank you so much for your comments. I love the photo of Justice! Those pyjamas and that gorgeous head tilt are just too cute! I really like the texture you've added, something I really want to experiment with at some point! Also really love the catchlights and you got really nice dof considering you accidentally shot it a f3.5! Can I also just quickly add that I really love reading your posts where you give photography advice and explain things, your posts are always so easy to read and I find myself nodding along cos the way you write it just makes sense! :) Thanks for taking the time to share and explain what you know. :thanks:

Lollipup - Chester is so cute! They are pretty good shots for sooc! The eyes look pretty sharp and in focus to me so I think you've done well there. Looking forward to seeing more of your photos. :)

RJ - Thank you for your feedback. :) I think I am terrible at cropping and I spend ages playing with it trying to get it to look 'right' and seems I still need to work on it! Thank you for the comments re the blown whites too - exposure is definitely something I'm struggling with! Do you have any tips of getting the right exposure with dogs with white collars and legs like mine? Or do I just need to learn how to recover the highlights better in post processing?

It's so funny that you said I should bump the saturation cos up til now I've always had a bit of a bad habit of over saturating and upping the contrast too much in my photos and I kept getting told that I've taken the saturation too far and need to dial it back so I've been concentrating really hard on not taking the contrast and saturation too far with my latest photos...but maybe I've overcompensated too far in the other direction! Still trying to find that happy medium and figure out what I like most and what works best with particular photos...

Photography is such a wonderfully subjective thing.. :)

Snook - Thank you so much for your comments. I love the photo of Justice! Those pyjamas and that gorgeous head tilt are just too cute! I really like the texture you've added, something I really want to experiment with at some point! Also really love the catchlights and you got really nice dof considering you accidentally shot it a f3.5! Can I also just quickly add that I really love reading your posts where you give photography advice and explain things, your posts are always so easy to read and I find myself nodding along cos the way you write it just makes sense! :) Thanks for taking the time to share and explain what you know. :thanks:

Lollipup - Chester is so cute! They are pretty good shots for sooc! The eyes look pretty sharp and in focus to me so I think you've done well there. Looking forward to seeing more of your photos. :)

Thanks, he is a sooky boy, love him to bits. Wait until you see Lola, she is super cute too and full of mischief! I love your photos, really nice and gorgeous collie too :)