August Challenge

tlc

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rev Jo - thank you so much for the exposure tips! I definitely know that blown whites are never a good thing so I'm keen to learn how to correct it. I remember reading about bracketing exposure in my manual when I first got my camera and then completely forgot all about it. I'm definitely going to try that cos I need all the help I can get! I really really love that first photo of your highland cow and I hope you get your monitor colour/calibration sorted out soon! :)

Lollipup - Yay for shooting on manual! It took me a while before I tried out manual when I first got my camera so you're doing well! And shooting at midday with that direct lighting is a tough gig...your dogs are so cute I still really like the photos even if they're not technically perfect. :) Oh and hope you manage to sort out your lightroom probs and get it fixed soon!

dogfan - yep definitely a portrait photo. :) Such a pretty tabby and yep little bit of missing ear aside I really like it. I'm no good at black and whites so always enjoy seeing when others do them!

huga - your work is always stunning! Very cool shots - love the little mermaid theme! :)

Okay here's my latest portrait attempt. Rev Jo - I used your high pass sharpening technique and I think you're right - way better than unsharp mask! :)

7709795396_af25785640_z.jpg

Yes I did, I am so not familiar with macro, does that mean I can get up close with the wide end or do I zoom into the subject? I have found if I zoom to close the camera will not take the shot but If I back up just a bit it will focus and shoot? enlighten me please. Don't want to buy another lens If I don't need too. :laugh:

You have inspired me to try to get Bailey on a black back ground, it shows their feature so perfectly! It's amazing how similar the ragdolls and the Birmans are.

Colliepaws that cat picture is great!

I was away from the computer for one night and come back to this thread and there are like 3 more pages! Good to see it so active.

We got all dressed up last night to go out to dinner for our anniversary and I let me parents have a go of the camera to take some photos of us. Just switched it to auto for them though, ya know, even though my dad is an expert at everything already haha

I will try downloading the trial of LR and see how that goes.

I know what you mean about how many you throw away. I took about 330 photos at the botanic gardens, but a lot of them were multiples of the same thing. Lots of dogs with turned away heads too. My husband Jamie also had a go on full manual and did pretty well too :) He enjoyed the 300mm zoom lens, he calls it my stalker lens! :laugh:

I can't remember who has said what but thanks everyone for all the tips and feedback, very appreciated and I don't mind constructive criticism at all :)

tlc, the 17-70 is a macro lens as well as the others said, and I can't wait to see some shots from it because I think I would like one too , one day :)

Great that your OH had a go, mine won't touch mine but he did come out and about with me yesterday while I had a good go.

I have no idea how to actually use the 17-70 as a macro lens. :laugh: first need something marcoish to shoot!

Great that your OH had a go, mine won't touch mine but he did come out and about with me yesterday while I had a good go.

I have no idea how to actually use the 17-70 as a macro lens. :laugh: first need something marcoish to shoot!

How about a bug? I can't wait to see what you come up with :)

DSC_0074.jpg

M

ISO 100

f/4.2

S1/640

70mm

DSC_0023-1.jpg

M

ISO 100

f/5.6

S1/640

200mm

who can tell me what I am doing wrong? They still don't seem crisp enough

Does anyone also know why when I resize photos in Photobucket they don't seem to carry over to the forum?! ARRRGGGHHH

I mean, apologies for the size.

Edited by Cat

Cat I think they look great, are you editing at all? What are you using? The second one maybe could have been sharpened or a bit more clarity, but serisouly I think they look great, I find like Huga said they do lose something after you upload then pop them here.

Huga, Snow white is great!

I had a play to day to, inspired by collie paws kitty shots I did some kitty portraits and what a disaster, I decided to try inside with the light on, no flash and just rely in the iso and m settings, well they were all to dark and with some editing I saved some that I think look ok, The Birman boy was hard, with his black face and ears and white surroundings, yet the other day when i was just snapping away not thinking about it i got some quite good ones of him. :confused:

Anyway heres some

53f70ef0.jpg

380a6f51.jpg

12e2f630.jpg

Baileys face is no where near as sharp as I wanted it to be, I think the settings were just all wrong!

e7522bf4.jpg

c29781a7.jpg

36709d0b.jpg

Might have another crack with the Birman and use the 50mm instead, his face just is not sharp enough, compare it to collie paws shot and they are like chalk and cheese, you can see so much difference.

188ae144.jpg

22f07e37.jpg

ff61d6e2.jpg

Well so far it was the 50 mm that i was having trouble with focusing, these ones were all taken with the 17-70, the last one of Bronson was taken with the flash on, I just altered the Wb in post to make it not so flashy. :laugh: Yes a light on kittys face would have been good but I think what I have down with them has made them look like we were in a fairly dark room, it wasn't it was well lit but I think I just had the settings all wrong. If Colliepaws comes back Im hoping she might share the exif of her kitty shot so i can compare, i took so many on so many different settings I was just lost but he end of it. What do you think of the car one? crap or ok? OH had just washed it and it started to rain, I wanted to take some shots outside but it just wasn't going to happen. :laugh:

I think the car came up great, the red really pops..The kitties are good, but think the first came up better, especially the eyes.thanks, i didn't do any editing on those ones except cropping. I normally use iPhoto or Lightroom.

Hugs, your photos are great.

Edited by Cat

Well for no editing they are fantastic, use the clarity slider and maybe contrast in LR and they would come out a bit sharper and maybe pop a bit more if thats what your looking for. What sort of camera are you using?